Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2018, 02:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Jason is living happily with his girlfriend but the happiness is soon shattered when his girlfriend is murdered and he is set up for a murder / robbery. So he decides to set out for revenge. Some great action set peices and for me better than the first. 8.5/10

Fantastic had me glued to the screen from beginning to end. A mother seeks revenge for the death and rape of her young daughter , she does this by renting three billboards outside the town were she lives , which say raped while dying, still no arrests and how come chief Willoughby,this has the effect of setting must of the town against her. Quite hard to watch in places with the subject matter and how nasty most of the townsfolk are also a great vein of dark comedy running through the film, the cast was excellent,especially McDormand who deserved her Oscar. 9.5/10

Now Watching murder on the orient express (2018).
Old 27th August 2018, 03:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well that was better than I was expecting as a few here didn't seem to rate it. Wonderfully shot with some stunning scenery etc especially the beginning in Istanbul. On the whole the acting was excellent but what the hell was up with Judy Denchs accent! As I said some stunning scenery but was let down by some very poor Cgi in places. Sets up for death on the Nile which looks like it could be coming next year. Also a stunning looking 4K ultra release. 8/10
Old 27th August 2018, 03:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Managed about an hour of deer hunter before I switched it off, can't say it isn't well acted but god it's boring, boring, boring boring, boring ,boring ,boring,boring boring, boring, boring! Did I mention how dull and boring it is,has to be one of the most overrated movies along with citizen Kane.
trebor8273 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th August 2018, 05:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

House of Whipcord (1974)

Starring Barbara Markham as the sadistic warden of an unauthorized women's prison where the female 'criminals' are tortured and abused by the three psychotic staff. Sporting a grimly sleazy atmosphere, House of Whipcord has much to say on the state of criminal justice in Britain, much of which still holds sway today. The film itself is by the numbers and annoyingly predictable, especially one plot contrivance that you'll see coming a mile off, yet it's also needed for we the viewers to see justice in action in a thrilling and tense finale.

Newcomer and former Page 3 girl Penny Irving is fine as the prison's new inmate, but as usual with Walker's films it's the older actresses like the aforementioned Markham and the ever reliable Sheila Keith giving a typical robust performance who steal the show, and for once the lovely Ann Michele has a lot more to do than merely shed her clothes.

The Child (1977)

Extremely oddball chiller about a young girl who raises corpses from the nearby cemetery to do her bidding and slaughter those she holds responsible for her mothers murder.

The first hour is quite slow moving with only hints at whats to come, but it has atmosphere in spades thanks to some innovative camera work, a lot of swirling fog and an eerie score. The final twenty minutes is an all out zombie fest with gruesome gore galore. Laurel Barnett makes for a decent heroine and Rosalie Cole is quietly menacing as the child in question. If any film had the title Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things then it should have been this one.

Weird and very memorable, i liked this a lot.
Old 27th August 2018, 06:56 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
House of Whipcord (1974)

Starring Barbara Markham as the sadistic warden of an unauthorized women's prison where the female 'criminals' are tortured and abused by the three psychotic staff. Sporting a grimly sleazy atmosphere, House of Whipcord has much to say on the state of criminal justice in Britain, much of which still holds sway today. The film itself is by the numbers and annoyingly predictable, especially one plot contrivance that you'll see coming a mile off, yet it's also needed for we the viewers to see justice in action in a thrilling and tense finale.

Newcomer and former Page 3 girl Penny Irving is fine as the prison's new inmate, but as usual with Walker's films it's the older actresses like the aforementioned Markham and the ever reliable Sheila Keith giving a typical robust performance who steal the show, and for once the lovely Ann Michele has a lot more to do than merely shed her clothes.

The Child (1977)

Extremely oddball chiller about a young girl who raises corpses from the nearby cemetery to do her bidding and slaughter those she holds responsible for her mothers murder.

The first hour is quite slow moving with only hints at whats to come, but it has atmosphere in spades thanks to some innovative camera work, a lot of swirling fog and an eerie score. The final twenty minutes is an all out zombie fest with gruesome gore galore. Laurel Barnett makes for a decent heroine and Rosalie Cole is quietly menacing as the child in question. If any film had the title Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things then it should have been this one.

Weird and very memorable, i liked this a lot.
Been meaning to buy House of Whipcord for a while now after watching Pete Walker's Frightmare which I thought it was excellent. How does it compare to that one, if you've seen it that is?

Last film I watched was The First Purge. Just appalling shit really that I think can only be appreciated by people unaware of when they are watching pure garbage.
Old 27th August 2018, 07:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
appreciated by people unaware of when they are watching pure garbage.

You need to apolagise,You just insulted most of this forum....
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

Old 27th August 2018, 09:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
Been meaning to buy House of Whipcord for a while now after watching Pete Walker's Frightmare which I thought it was excellent. How does it compare to that one, if you've seen it that is?

I don't think it's as good as Frightmare, but it's still well worth getting. If you enjoy the gritty style Walker puts into his films then it's a must buy really.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 27th August 2018, 09:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think it's as good as Frightmare, but it's still well worth getting. If you enjoy the gritty style Walker puts into his films then it's a must buy really.

I prefer Whipcord to Frightmare - it’s really Davey and claustrophobic - it’s the best of the Walker films I’ve seen, IMO.
Old 27th August 2018, 09:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
I prefer Whipcord to Frightmare - it’s really Davey and claustrophobic - it’s the best of the Walker films I’ve seen, IMO.
Frightmare was the first Walker film i ever watched, i'd not seen anything like it at the time. How could these nice elderly people do the things they did? It seemed so gritty and scarily realistic. They weren't zombies or vampires just normal folk. I guess if i'd seen Whipcord or Mortal Sin first they might have been my favourite.
Old 27th August 2018, 09:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watching 88's Eyeball, good, fun giallo, the dub makes it seem a bit more silly (if that's possible), amazed at the package!
Going to watch the commentary & documentary this week too!

Like this? Share it using the links below!