Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th August 2018, 12:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. 2011.

While trying to get files from the Kremlin, the team realise someone else is there. As they escape, the Kremlin is bombed. I.M.F is implicated with the explosion and shut down. Ethan Hunt and his new team try to find who is responsible and clear their names.

These films seem to get better as most sequels drag on and wear out, but from start to finish this was a great movie. The team are joined by analyst William Brandt played by Jeremy Renner who seems like a wimp but his motives are brought to light and Benji is now a agent giving Simon Pegg more screen time and comedy moments. This one seems to go all out for high octane action, that does drag on but keeps the entertainment going and good cat and mouse chase. 9 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mission_impossible_ghost_protocol.jpg (18.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 28th August 2018, 03:54 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. 2011.

While trying to get files from the Kremlin, the team realise someone else is there. As they escape, the Kremlin is bombed. I.M.F is implicated with the explosion and shut down. Ethan Hunt and his new team try to find who is responsible and clear their names.

These films seem to get better as most sequels drag on and wear out, but from start to finish this was a great movie. The team are joined by analyst William Brandt played by Jeremy Renner who seems like a wimp but his motives are brought to light and Benji is now a agent giving Simon Pegg more screen time and comedy moments. This one seems to go all out for high octane action, that does drag on but keeps the entertainment going and good cat and mouse chase. 9 out of 10.
No mention of Tom Cruise' incredible real stunt scaling the Burj Khalifa, the action in no way drags on as you put it.
Old 28th August 2018, 06:50 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Well that was better than I was expecting as a few here didn't seem to rate it. Wonderfully shot with some stunning scenery etc especially the beginning in Istanbul. On the whole the acting was excellent but what the hell was up with Judy Denchs accent! As I said some stunning scenery but was let down by some very poor Cgi in places. Sets up for death on the Nile which looks like it could be coming next year. Also a stunning looking 4K ultra release. 8/10
I liked this one - good, old fashioned fun with a brilliant ensemble headed-up by Branagh, gorgeous visuals and a lovely score - the UHD looks and sounds terrific too - the benefit of being transferred from a 65mm neg.
Old 28th August 2018, 11:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Confessions of a Window Cleaner.

Robin Asquith, who looks like a cross of Mick jagger and Keith chegwin, plays Timmy Lea who gets a job working as a window cleaner for
his brother in law Sid. But he discovers that there's more to the job than cleaning windows, as his customers expect extra services.
Although he is in high demand for casual sex with all the dirty housewives and is enjoying it, his heart really belongs to a sexy
policewoman called Liz, played by the gorgeous Linda Hayden, and she wont drop her knickers until after marriage.

This i find very funny in deed with great innuendo, and in the style of the Carry ons and On The Buses but with added nudity. Asquith is perfect in the role of the clumsy cheeky chappie servicing all the ladies. And from a time when the Uk used to know how to make comedy.

I like this a lot and it's loads of fun, with a great soundtrack and top notch cast. 89.5 out of 100.
Old 29th August 2018, 10:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I Will Drink Your Blood (1970)

Extremely enjoyable movie about a rabid satanic cult that wreaks havoc on a small town.*

Very violent for its time (including a chicken that is killed for real), it was the first film to ever be rated "X" for violence alone, as opposed to sex and nudity. It's every bit as fun as its synopsis suggests. It has aged incredible well and is very well acted, although the little boy was kind of annoying.

I only watched the X-rated theatrical version, but the director's cut is also on the Blu-Ray I own. I will definitely be checking that out in the near future.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 29th August 2018, 11:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

What Have They Done To Solange? (Massimo Dallamano, 1972)

London set giallo. Made interesting companion piece to all that Sweeney as the police in this are somewhat less convivial . A schoolgirl witnesses a murder on the banks of the Thames .... hmmmm. Lovely looking print this btw. Certain aspects were revelatory. Predating another film set in Venice cough by 7 years cough. I look forward to the Newman/ Allan Jones comm

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th August 2018, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Psychomania.

Brilliant horror comedy about a chap called Tom Latham who is the leader of a biker gang called the Living Dead who like to raise hell in the local community and by riding into supermarkets and knocking the tins down.

His mum played by Beryl reid is involved in the occult with her butler, and with their help and a toad amulet tom learns the secret of immortality. After commiting suicide, Tom comes back immortal and the rest of the gang promptly off themselves as well to join him.

I like this film a lot. it is unbelievably cheesy but a funny horror/biker flick directed by Don Sharp who did The Kiss of The vampires.
there's no blood or sex, but plenty of violence in a comic book style and a brilliant groovy soundtrack.
And i love the scene of Tom's burial in the ground of the Seven witches and is superb with the Wicker man style guitar playing.

overall, this is a very good film with great stunts and a lot of charm. 90.8 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg psychomania.jpg (50.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 29th August 2018, 01:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It was a strong year for movies at this years Frightfest with only a few stinkers (Heretiks, American Fright Fest & Black Site). I have not had time to do a write up on everything i have watched but have compiled a list my top 10 movies.

https://letterboxd.com/stuwyatt/list...y/your-rating/
Demoncrat, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 29th August 2018, 02:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post
Been meaning to buy House of Whipcord for a while now after watching Pete Walker's Frightmare which I thought it was excellent. How does it compare to that one, if you've seen it that is?

Last film I watched was The First Purge. Just appalling shit really that I think can only be appreciated by people unaware of when they are watching pure garbage.
First three where reasonable enjoyable , The First Purge I thought was just barable wasn't impressed at all really with it , could have been so much better but also like or dislike purge films part of the reason why I don't mind the films because when first one come along it was something new , fresh and original something the film industry been crying out for instead of remakes , reboots , sequels same old same old eg marvel and DC or something we seen a thousand times before . let's see what the TV series has got in store for us .
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 29th August 2018, 04:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypedro View Post
It was a strong year for movies at this years Frightfest with only a few stinkers (Heretiks, American Fright Fest & Black Site). I have not had time to do a write up on everything i have watched but have compiled a list my top 10 movies.

https://letterboxd.com/stuwyatt/list...y/your-rating/
Very similar Top 5's. I would have swapped Puppet Master for either The Most Assassinated Woman In The World, What Keeps You Alive or The Dark though (so hard to choose). Puppet Master easily had the best kill of the festival, and as a whole was of a standard of quality well beyond the remit of that franchise. I didn't think you were checking out Crystal Eyes? Glad you did, clearly it was worth it. I didn't get to see One Cut Of The Dead, looking forward to TWF putting it out on BD. Everyone seemed to be raving about it.

Worst of the festival for me was the actual film Fright Fest though. Dire.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!