LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2015, 10:55 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
Devil In A Blue Dress (1995)

Carl Franklin (who i just learned is one of many who initially worked under Corman) knocks it outta the park again with great performances by everyone involved. Wish this was on UK Blu as with One False Move but don't see it happening. Its a travesty i hadn't even heard of him a week ago, such a great director it seems!

9/10
One of Denzel's films that got lost in his Crimson Tide, Philadelphia, period which made him the all conquering megastar. I used to have this on vhs but never got round to buying the dvd.

Incidentally i saw Crimson Tide at Manns Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.
Old 26th May 2015, 08:16 AM
Cult Master

The Toxic Avenger

Not sure I need to go too deep into the plot I'm sure most if not all people have seen The Toxic Avenger already but I just watched the Blu Ray over the weekend which looks great and packed with a ton of features giving great value for the price. Any way on to the film.

When a practical joke goes wrong Melvin the mop boy ends up head first in a barrel of toxic waste and is transformed from socially awkward wimp into the musle bound Toxic Avenger. With his new found physical strength Toxie hits the streets of Tromaville to clean up all the scum and it's corrupt mayor and towns officials and return the town to the good honest folk of Tromaville.

The Toxic Avenger is an awesome film its got everything you want fun over the top gore larger than life characters humour hot 80s ladies great practical effects the transformation scene looked fantastic and gross stretching skin bursting boils gut wrenching screams the lot.

I know Troma films are not everyone's cup of tea but you gotta hand it to them for they know how to make fun films. It's films like this and Street Trash that I can watch over and over again and never get bored. When ever I'm down it's films like this that just pick me up and bring a big smile to my face. For that reason like Street Trash The Toxic Avenger is a perfect scoring film for me. I'm sure very few if anyone will agree.

The Toxic Avenger is not just a good time its a FING AWESOME time.

10/10
Old 26th May 2015, 08:53 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Italian Job. This was okay and all, well made and acted, but just didn't really do much for me in the end.
Spider-Man. Still enjoy this one.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 26th May 2015, 09:14 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The Italian Job. This was okay and all, well made and acted, but just didn't really do much for me in the end.
Spider-Man. Still enjoy this one.
Which version of each film?
Old 26th May 2015, 11:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

STAGE FRIGHT – I'm all for horror musicals. Look at something like 'Repo: A Genetic Opera'. That was pretty audacious. Admittedly, they're not all as bizarre as that one. 'Stage Fright', which is not only a horror musical but a meta-horror musical, is set in a summer camp where a bunch of post-'Glee' kids get to sing, dance and put on a show. In the mix is the Cinderella-esque daughter of a former star who wants to rise above her status as camp caterer and try for an audition. But there's a masked killer doing the rounds who etc etc etc. 'Stage Fright' gets some things right, but fails to hit some important high notes. The songs, the banter, the witty give and take are all pitch perfect and really breathe life into a concept that might've easily out-cuted itself given a couple of slips-ups in the cleverness stakes. There are a few OK kills and a nice intro with a Giallo-esque Phantom Of The Opera conceit to set things up. The problem, which is maybe not really all that much of a problem for some, is that basically all the campery outdoes the horror aspects by miles. So much so that the murder stuff, which kind of devolves into a slightly wet whodunnit by the end, almost feels tacked on and lame. Speaking of lame, the bits with the masked killer doing a kind of heavy metal “ha ha ha revelling in my own righteous vengeance” thing in a darkened room with a chainsaw just looked so out of touch. As did the killer generally, up to and including the super-weak mask-off. But... for all that, 'Stage Fright' is amusing, likeable, eccentric and cool. Whilst it misses an opportunity to be a bit more out there, it has panache and dares to be a little different. I say - give it a go.
Old 27th May 2015, 12:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Which version of each film?
The original 1969 and 2002 ones.

Don't you just hate that you have to differentiate with practically everything these days?!
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th May 2015, 01:12 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
STAGE FRIGHT – I'm all for horror musicals. Look at something like 'Repo: A Genetic Opera'. That was pretty audacious. Admittedly, they're not all as bizarre as that one. 'Stage Fright', which is not only a horror musical but a meta-horror musical, is set in a summer camp where a bunch of post-'Glee' kids get to sing, dance and put on a show. In the mix is the Cinderella-esque daughter of a former star who wants to rise above her status as camp caterer and try for an audition. But there's a masked killer doing the rounds who etc etc etc. 'Stage Fright' gets some things right, but fails to hit some important high notes. The songs, the banter, the witty give and take are all pitch perfect and really breathe life into a concept that might've easily out-cuted itself given a couple of slips-ups in the cleverness stakes. There are a few OK kills and a nice intro with a Giallo-esque Phantom Of The Opera conceit to set things up. The problem, which is maybe not really all that much of a problem for some, is that basically all the campery outdoes the horror aspects by miles. So much so that the murder stuff, which kind of devolves into a slightly wet whodunnit by the end, almost feels tacked on and lame. Speaking of lame, the bits with the masked killer doing a kind of heavy metal “ha ha ha revelling in my own righteous vengeance” thing in a darkened room with a chainsaw just looked so out of touch. As did the killer generally, up to and including the super-weak mask-off. But... for all that, 'Stage Fright' is amusing, likeable, eccentric and cool. Whilst it misses an opportunity to be a bit more out there, it has panache and dares to be a little different. I say - give it a go.

It's an odd one isn't it? Kinda all over the place but curiously enjoyable in its boldness. Feel a rewatch is in order, if only to savour the Argento/DePalma influences again.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

Last edited by PaulD; 27th May 2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 27th May 2015, 07:26 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Don't you just hate that you have to differentiate with practically everything these days?!
It can make conversations difficult or confusing.
Old 27th May 2015, 07:56 AM
Cult Rookie

Yesterday evening I watched "Silent Night, Deadly Night". I really enjoyed it and it is way better than "Christmas Evil".
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th May 2015, 09:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Sold! Was teetering with this one, but you've pushed me over the edge haha.

Sat down to rererewatch Day Of The Dead...you know, the Romero film that THC have been advertising ALL WEEK? And what do they show??? The pissing awful remake. : rant:
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!