All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th July 2015, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Lovely Molly (2011)

Former nut-job and now newly wed Molly moves back to her old home with her new hubby after the death of her parents. Suspecting him of having an affair she sneaks around with a video camera secretly filming the evidence, before finally killing him.

All the time we are told Molly is going back to her old hard drug habits, but is actually being possessed by her deceased father. It takes an age to get to the vague finale as a naked Molly is hugged by some sort of spirit or demon or maybe even a giant rabbit, then the film ends. Films with ambiguity, especially in the horror genre are often the best but not in this case.

At times Lovely Molly is rather good but frequently it is so frustrating and let down by the writing. The amount of times someone says to her "Are you ok, you should see a doctor" you feel the need to bang your head against a wall. For a horror film it's neither creepy nor scary either. However the film's main flaw was Molly herself. I was never drawn towards her, i never found her sympathetic and ultimately had no interest in her predicament, making the films themes of addiction, psychosis and possession all the more redundant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lovely-Molly-Quad.jpg (100.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 13th July 2015, 03:15 AM
Cult Acolyte

At Close Range (1986)
I watched this on Netflix. This is one of my favourite films of the 80s and features one of Christopher Walken's best ever performances IMO. This also features my favourite Madonna track, Live to Tell. All in all, a great film and well worth checking out if you haven't seen it before.
Old 13th July 2015, 06:57 AM
Cult Addict

Anthrpohagus.

If your on your holidays, never, ever, agree to take Tisa Farrow to an island. Inevitably bad things are going to happen. Here she takes a bunch of people she just met to some out of the way Greek Island. It seems at first that the place has been abandoned but it seems George Eastman is on the loose eating people. Its never quite clear what George is at this point, we discover he did eat his wife and child to stay alive while stuck in a dinghy out in the middle of the ocean which is sure to send a person a wee bit mental. However here he's an almost indestructible killing machine that apparently the police could not stop. His face looks a little scabby, and my best guess is he's some sort of Wendigo.
This is one of those films that draws a lot of mixed opinions. For some its a slow dreary plodder of a film, others feel its an underrated gem and one of Joe d'amatos best pictures. I'm in the camp that says its good, its pretty atmospheric and slowly builds the horror up. Some of the effects work is iffy, the scene of him removing and eating an unborn feotus looks rather daft but overall its an interesting little chiller with a great electonic soundtrack.

Zombie Holocaust.

Speaking of Tisa Farrow, one of her previous marks, Ian Mcullough turns up here leading a team to some remote south east Asian hell hole to investigate a tribe of cannibals who may have started up operations in New York..... for some reason. It's not quite clear WHY, especially as its later established that the tribe are primitive savages but just go with it. Once there it goes the typical cannibal exploitation route of wandering through jungles and getting attacked by extras paid minimum wage to munch on offal. However, as the Zombie movie was quickly overtaking the Cannibal movie producer Fabrizio De Angelis decided to make it a zombie movie as well. Here we get resident surgeon Dr. Obrero, AkA Dr Butcher M.D (medical Deviant!) who has decided to use the tribe to perfect Brain transplants. He's a total nutter who gets some of the best lines ("I'm determined to have your brain, It will be the culmination of my career!") however his experiments have so far created zombie-esque slaves who wander the forest terrorising the locals. We also get the lovely Alexandra Delli Colli removing her clothes at several key points however I'm never going to complain about that.
Zombie Holocaust is a bizarre frankenstein's creature of a film. It contains elements of whatever seemed popular at the time including Cannibal and Zombie movies, fused in with a tacked on scene at the beginning of a corpse having its hand nicked. We also get left over cast and locations re-used from the bigger budgeted and better executed Zombie Flesh-eaters. However crap it is, it still remains an entertaining and sleazy piece of exploitation thats far too short to outlive its welcome. Add in Alexandra delli collis boobs and you have a perfect evenings entertainment.
Old 13th July 2015, 07:37 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Saw Intruder last night. I've seen this before, but it must be 20 years or more! This campy late 80s slasher sees the night shift at a closing-down supermarket come under attack from a mysterious lunatic. I vaguely remember this, but I didn't remember it being as totally tongue-in-cheek as it was. By the last 20 minutes I was laughing my head off at it. Spectacularly gory but so deeply dippy I found it impossible not to love. I found the music equally hilarious (presumably unintentionally, unless it was some sort of incredibly obscure metatextual joke) as the great majority of it was exactly the same as the "dramatic/exciting/spooky" music they used to use in 80s Aussie soap Sons and Daughters. I found this at first incredibly distracting and then eventually hugely amusing in its own right.
This was a really silly movie but I had a great time with it. I love the bit where the killer pauses in pursuit of his final victim to pick up a couple of items on the floor in the supermarket in order to put them back on the shelf!
I saw this as part of a double bill with Zombie Flesh Eaters at the GFT which, I think, was organised by Calum Waddell. It was brilliant to watch it with so many like minded individuals, laughing at the same moments (some of which you identified).

It's been a while since I watched it at home but, even though I really enjoyed it, it isn't the same as with a large audience in a fairly big venue.
Demoncrat, keirarts and iank like this.
Old 13th July 2015, 08:05 AM
Cult Acolyte

Saw Terminator Genysis at the cinema today. Generally speaking, great fun. No, it's not on the level of the first two but then, it was never going to be. It was a fun Arnie kick-ass sci-fi action movie like the good old days, and I had a fun time with it. The CGI Young Arnie Terminator was a hoot, and the 1984 stuff with that and the T-1000 was probably the highlight of the film. The later stuff was a bit of a retread of stuff we've seen before, but it was still fun. Courtney was alright, but he sure ain't no Michael Biehn. Emilia Clarke was pretty good as Sarah, though, and given that this is effectively a completely different version of Sarah than we've seen before, also made the recast a bit easier to swallow. All in all a great slice of cinematic fan-fiction.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 13th July 2015, 08:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Lovely Molly (2011)

Former nut-job and now newly wed Molly moves back to her old home with her new hubby after the death of her parents. Suspecting him of having an affair she sneaks around with a video camera secretly filming the evidence, before finally killing him.

All the time we are told Molly is going back to her old hard drug habits, but is actually being possessed by her deceased father. It takes an age to get to the vague finale as a naked Molly is hugged by some sort of spirit or demon or maybe even a giant rabbit, then the film ends. Films with ambiguity, especially in the horror genre are often the best but not in this case.

At times Lovely Molly is rather good but frequently it is so frustrating and let down by the writing. The amount of times someone says to her "Are you ok, you should see a doctor" you feel the need to bang your head against a wall. For a horror film it's neither creepy nor scary either. However the film's main flaw was Molly herself. I was never drawn towards her, i never found her sympathetic and ultimately had no interest in her predicament, making the films themes of addiction, psychosis and possession all the more redundant.
I love 'Lovely Molly', thought it was a great film.
Old 13th July 2015, 10:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Shock Waves (1977, Ken Wiederhorn)
Making an old man wade waist deep in water is the least of Ken's crimes.

The Humanoid (1979, Aldo Lado)
Star Wars rip from the director of Night Train Murders. I'd have to say it's up there with The Beast In Space for sheer cheek hahaha.

House Of Evil (1968, Juan Ibanez). more SA madness with Karloff. Whilst slightly more cohesive than Fear Chamber, this rather gothic tale was just too flippin' dark in places cough!!

Snowtown (2011, Justin Kurzel)
Based on a real life case, this is still a disturbing and effective piece of work. Henshall literally commands the screen.

Horror At 370000 Feet (TVM, David Lowell Rich, 1973)
Chuck Connors! Shatner!!!! Roy Thinnes!! Sold etc. Never transport yourself and your ill gotten gains across the Atlantic seems to be the moral of this tale cough. Recommended!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th July 2015, 11:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Roxanne
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436785158.022119.jpg

A modern retelling of the cyrano de bergerac story, with Steve Martin in the lead role as a small town fire chief (CD bates)with a huge noise, who falls in love with Roxanne who only seems to have eyes for the hunky new fireman who we soon find out can't speak to woman and so enlist the help CD to help him win the heart of Roxanne things soon get complicated when uses his own feelings in the letters he writes to Roxanne. 7/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436785665.453516.jpg

A enjoyable bit of late 80s nonsense with the one and only Chuck Norris taking down terrorists that invade the good old US of A in his usually OTT and impossible way. Would of been more enjoyable if the people he was saving where even the least bit likeable, but all I could think was why even bother chuck their all so unlikeable just let the terrorists kill them, they would be doing the world a favour. 7/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436785900.964298.jpg

Basically Arnie does James Bond with a family. Very over the top but that's why I like it. Great set pieces and characters, we have a very young Eliza Dushku as his daughter and Charlton Heston as Arnies boss. But the real highlight and the one everyone remembers is that black dress. 9.5/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436786154.381047.jpg

Very different but no less enjoyable Arnie vehicle that's shows that he has a flair for comedy. The film works because of the chemistry between the two leads. 8.5/10
Old 13th July 2015, 11:35 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I love 'Lovely Molly', thought it was a great film.
Me too.

Going back to Martyrs, having broken my hand yesterday, there is nothing spiritual about pain! There is a certain irony to it all as I am presently reading a book on MMA that uses Nietzsche: Notes Towards a Philosophy of Ecstasy, as a framework for fighting and the act of being a spectator.
Old 13th July 2015, 11:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Me too.

Going back to Martyrs, having broken my hand yesterday, there is nothing spiritual about pain! There is a certain irony to it all as I am presently reading a book on MMA that uses Nietzsche: Notes Towards a Philosophy of Ecstasy, as a framework for fighting and the act of being a spectator.
How did you come to break your hand MTDS?

Like this? Share it using the links below!