LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th April 2015, 06:49 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Right, what the hell was that about?
The Visitor, a real oddity this one. From what i gather a young girl in 70's Atlanta is in some way capable of bringing about the rule of Sateen (?) John Hustons character, the Visitor of the title must somehow prevent this from happening. Franco Nero apparently plays Jesus though he never seems to actually be named in the film.
I honestly don't know what the hell was going on here and at some point I'll need to try this again. I'm not convinced i actually missed anything but i definitely didn't get everything either. Interesting cast and some cool visuals. In tone it reminded me of Lynch's Dune for some reason. With a bit of The Keep thrown in.
Yeah... The Visitor can take a couple of viewings to appreciate (or not!)
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 13th April 2015, 09:04 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The Hearse (1980)

The PG rating is largely to blame for The Hearse's failings as a horror film, with the horror element being severely down-played resulting in what often feels like a plodding drama with soap-opera undertones.

PG horror can (and does) work, however The Hearse is unfortunately also plagued by a dull story, which on paper probably looked and sounded better than the result on screen... I mean, a film where a demonic hearse terrorises a young woman who has inherited an old house that is believed to be cursed by witchcraft; who in their right mind wouldn't want to see such a film...?!

What does pull the inanimate corpse of this film out of its grave a little are some semi-interesting dream sequences, plus the sound design, which is used to decent effect throughout. The Hearse (itself played by a 1951 Packard Funeral Coach) also looks the business, but is sadly given minimal screen time.

Unfortunately, what could have been a film in the vein of ‘The Car’ instead results in something where the PG rating terrifies more than the film itself.

Originally posted here: Nightmare USA Films Discussion Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 10:03 AM
Cult Addict

Watched Frankenhooker last night. What a weird film that was. Like most of hennenlotter's films it was nothing short of absurd trash, but obviously in a good sense. The beginning was hilarious even though the wife was stupid as she should have stood out of the way of the lawnmower. For a while after the beginning it did seem quite long. But when it came to exploding prostitutes it became a great laugh and then it got only better afterwards.
Old 13th April 2015, 10:07 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Massacre at Central High (1976)

A high school transfer student, pushed to the edge by a trio of brutal bullies, resorts to murder to reclaim the school from oppression, and later turns against the students wanting to fill the vacuum of their oppressors.

Well this one threw me a curve ball. Here i was expecting a slasher/horror film and what we actually get is a precursor to films such as Heathers, Jawbreaker and in some respects Mean Girls.

The film lacks any gore whatsoever and the majority of deaths are from explosions as the film takes a turn into Death Wish territory around the half way mark. The film is lively enough but lacks the zippy dialogue or memorable characters that the high school thrillers mentioned above give us. What it does give us is a group of characters all deeply flawed all seemingly desperate to get to the top of the tree in the high school and enforce their will on their subjects. Oddly i barely recall seeing one teacher outside of an actual classroom.

The dvd from 23rd Century is a vhs rip but has a more than watchable picture quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 208946-1020-a.jpg (86.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 13th April 2015, 11:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Massacre at Central High (1976)

A high school transfer student, pushed to the edge by a trio of brutal bullies, resorts to murder to reclaim the school from oppression, and later turns against the students wanting to fill the vacuum of their oppressors.

Well this one threw me a curve ball. Here i was expecting a slasher/horror film and what we actually get is a precursor to films such as Heathers, Jawbreaker and in some respects Mean Girls.

The film lacks any gore whatsoever and the majority of deaths are from explosions as the film takes a turn into Death Wish territory around the half way mark. The film is lively enough but lacks the zippy dialogue or memorable characters that the high school thrillers mentioned above give us. What it does give us is a group of characters all deeply flawed all seemingly desperate to get to the top of the tree in the high school and enforce their will on their subjects. Oddly i barely recall seeing one teacher outside of an actual classroom.

The dvd from 23rd Century is a vhs rip but has a more than watchable picture quality.
I have the same disc. Odd wee thing isn't it?

AAnyway....Watched Eclipse (David Slade, 2010). Or tried to. Why might you ask?? My next blog will answer all cough.......

American Gothic (1987, John Hough). Hey, let's go on holiday......While this has been reviewed elsewhere, I felt I had to put in my tuppence worth....Mama Munster and Mr Joyboy have three "kids". They have been brought up "proper". Tough luck on the hapless group who make a forced landing on their island then......Somewhat thematically linked with The Slayer (features someone recently traumatised and in no shape to go on a break imo), this is an oddity, played straight mostly, as modernity comes a poor second to the good, old gawd fearing ways of the 20s.Still don't see why it had to have an 18 rating though....unlike....

Witchcraft (Fabrizio Laurenti, 1988?). The Hoff as a free spririted photographer? Linda Blair encased in maternity wear? It must be Witchery!! Interesting to watched in this multi media age, as a disparate group are stranded on a island due to foul play. so with nae GPS or iWombs in sight, they are literally stranded. Sadly so is this film, straddling betwixt all out gore (lips sewn together in close up ouch!) and a non existant atmosphere of "otherworldiness". Reminds me of various 80 AOR videos. Don't ask why.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th April 2015, 12:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Also watched Curse Of The Crimson Altar (Vernon Sewell, 1968)

Him wot tried to off Corrie's Rita seems to 'ave misplaced 'is brother, so he hightails it down to his siblings last known port of call. Sadly for 'im, Christopher Lee runs the gaff, cordial though he is, gives 'im the brush off. Noticing that Lee's niece is a bit more accomodating, he makes a beeline for her honeypot sharpish.......

Ahem! Sue me, but have always had a soft spot for this film, featuring some of the most cringeworthy "swinging" scenes as it does. The dream sequences alone make me want to get out me old kaliedoscope post haste!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th April 2015, 07:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

BRASSED OFF (1996)

The Colliery band plays on as the threat of pit closure looms over them. The film is set in the miners strike in the 1980's and reflects the dispair and hopelesness of the situation and the effect on the families of some involved.
Band conductor Danny tries to keep his band playing in a film that is both serious and comic. The scenes in which Gloria (Tara Fitzgerald) plays Concierto de Aranjuez for the first time with the band against a backdrop of pit management arguments is powerful and heartbreaking.
Excellent !
Old 13th April 2015, 07:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

BRASSED OFF (1996)

The Colliery band plays on as the threat of pit closure looms over them. The film is set in the miners strike in the 1980's and reflects the dispair and hopelesness of the situation and the effect on the families of some involved.
Band conductor Danny tries to keep his band playing in a film that is both serious and comic. The scenes in which Gloria (Tara Fitzgerald) plays Concierto de Aranjuez for the first time with the band against a backdrop of pit management arguments is powerful and heartbreaking.
Excellent !
Filmed in my home town
Demoncrat, keirarts and Dave Boy like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th April 2015, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched 2 GUNS last night, excellent film starring Marc Wahlberg and Denzel Washington as "two hardened criminals get into trouble with the US border patrol after meeting with a Mexican drug lord, and then revelations starts to unfold." *IMDb summary, if I said anymore it would spoil the plot*

Loads of funny moments, plenty of action and some good plot twists, highly recommended 9/10
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th April 2015, 09:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The Night of the Hunter (Arrow Films)
Robert Mitchum plays a serial killer who happens to over hear a convict talking in his sleep about a large sum of money hidden somewhere close to home. The movie is fantastic, i genuinly haven;t felt that tense watching a movie for a long time, at one point the kid in the film looks over the hillside at a horseriding mitchum and says "Does he never sleep"? and honestly i got that feeling. just another fantastic movie i would never have seen had i not been a pat of this forum.

Appolo 18 (Netflix UK)
A horror movie about a russian guy how spends the night in the moon's crator, then some americans guys go to the same crator a few nights later for sloppy seconds and catch crabs and die... Not even worth your time even if you think the crabs will look cool, like back in the day when you could watch two hours of easter sunday bollocks to see harryhousen animate a bunch of skellybobs... leave this film well alone.

Killer Klowns from outta space (Arrow Films)
I love this film, it's a riot, lots of original and fantastic creature feature animatorinics - the guys who made this film obviously had a blast doing it and you can tell when you watch the film. The highlight is the head police officer who times his comedy very well. The Arrow Blu Ray has all of the original MGM special features and a few new ones, well worth your £7.99 in a sale!

The Incredible Melting Man (Arrow Films)
I like this film but it's hard to say anything constructive about it, it's nostaligic for me and that's why i love it but i understand why other folks may think its crap. My other half about had a brain tumour understanding why i had spent our money on this film. HAHAHAHA! I like it.

Season of the Witch (Netflix UK)
We have naff all to watch so we settled on this Nick Cage Compost fest and i shocked myself by actually enjoying the film! It wasn't great but it wasn't terrible. If you enjoy seeing christoher lee with a bubonic plague ridden face out act Ron Pearlman and Nic Cage then this is worth your time. in a nutshell it's about a witch who is blamed for bringing the plague to town, the guys take her to a trial but when they get there they realise she is a little more than a witch.

The Hollows - (Some website MTDS showed me, Haha! sounds wrong.)
A documentary reccomended by MTDS, i very much enjoyed this film! it's a jaw dropping view into real bonefide hicksville. squeel like a piggy! well worth your time if you like documentaries. (Thanks MTDS)

Big Hero 6 - (Cinema)
Get it Love it Share it! Big fat blow up robot and his sidekick save the planet. you don;t need to be a parent to buy this film, honestly it was a lot of fun and quite funny too. enjoy this if you like a good Pixar movie.

Like this? Share it using the links below!