Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Mark of The Devil

7/10.
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:28 PM
Cult Master

Still carrying on with watching some extras. I watched both mini docs on the region 1 blu ray of The Running Man. What the hell the first one was about the US Patriot Act after 9/11 and the other was talking about how popular reality TV is in which the running man was mentioned once or twice at the most. I was interested in the Patriot Act doc but it's something I would watch on a doc site or channel but where the hell were the making of The Running Man or FX guys or director interviews cast interview give me something to work with here. It's like they put these on for the sake of having extras rather than anything to do with the film just felt out of place.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th January 2015, 10:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE HOUSE OF MORTAL SIN - A bad priest stalks someone in seventies UK. Stephanie Beacham is involved. In all honesty this is not my fave Pete Walker film, but there's plenty of good stuff on show - not least the dowdy dominion of beige which is/was Britain at the time. Cortinas aside, there are some nicely vicious kills to pepper up the downbeat tawdryness, and some depressingly bleak moments centring on the nasty priest's relationship with his paralysed mother which feel like they were lifted from that Ingmar Bergman directed episode of Crossroads. Sheila Keith, as ever, is at hand, this time with a bizarre eye deformity which gets thrown in to make random sense of a minor narrative point at the last minute. Things like that really make movies worthwhile for me. Anyway, THOMS, or 'The Confessional' as it's known on the Shriek Show DVD I watched the other day, is always going to be a doable proposition for Walker fans and people into pessimistic Brit-grit.

PRIVATE PARTS - The excellent 'Private Parts', directed by Paul Bartel in the early seventies, plays with a strange handful of marbles, some of which bear an obvious resemblance to 'Psycho'. I was also reminded of Curtis Harrington movies, and of John Waters too in some respects. A teenage runaway lands at her Aunt's decrepit guesthouse and takes root. She becomes obsessed with a creepy photographer, who spies on her through a badly concealed peephole. Things get gradually creepier. 'Private Parts' has a sleazy atmosphere, but it's not explicit (in fact, I think it was released by a major studio back in its day). What it captures so well is the simmering seediness of downtown LA, which I have never had any first hand experience of but occasionally romanticise about. The cast is dominated by interesting and strange characters, all of whom cohabit the shabby, twilit 'old dark house' realm of the hotel. Together, they embody and transmit the down-at-heal ambience of the film as a whole. There are various highlights, the depiction of the photographer's kink of choice being the best bit (injecting hypos of blood into transparent, water filled blow up dolls really does it for me too). Definitely a sordid little gem that seems a little forgotten these days. You must see Paul Bartel's 'Private Parts'! (preferably through a hole in the wall of a flea ridden motel etc etc)
Old 24th January 2015, 11:37 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE HOUSE OF MORTAL SIN - A bad priest stalks someone in seventies UK. Stephanie Beacham is involved. In all honesty this is not my fave Pete Walker film, but there's plenty of good stuff on show - not least the dowdy dominion of beige which is/was Britain at the time. Cortinas aside, there are some nicely vicious kills to pepper up the downbeat tawdryness, and some depressingly bleak moments centring on the nasty priest's relationship with his paralysed mother which feel like they were lifted from that Ingmar Bergman directed episode of Crossroads. Sheila Keith, as ever, is at hand, this time with a bizarre eye deformity which gets thrown in to make random sense of a minor narrative point at the last minute. Things like that really make movies worthwhile for me. Anyway, THOMS, or 'The Confessional' as it's known on the Shriek Show DVD I watched the other day, is always going to be a doable proposition for Walker fans and people into pessimistic Brit-grit.
I really should re-view my Walker films.

I used to really like them then the last time i gave them a spin a few years back i thought them all a bit dull. Pessimistic Brit-grit really summed them up.

The more fantastical films by Norman J have always found my favour though.
Old 24th January 2015, 05:54 PM
Cult Addict

My old man's place.

Michel moriarty and William Devane play a couple of Nam' Vets freshly discharged, slumming around the city looking for some action they stumble across a gruff sarge' played by Mitchell Ryan beating the tar out of a cross dressing mugger. Fed up of the city they head out to Moriarty's dad's house out in the country. His dad, played by Arthur Kennedy is a WW2 veteran and can't quite get to grips with what his son and his new friends experienced. The PTSD each man is carrying shows itself in different ways. Devane is over the top and out of control, Ryan is Stoic, gruff and a ticking time bomb and Moriarty (in his first screen role) seems withdrawn and quiet.
The film is decidedly not Politically correct, especially in the fairly alarming way it treats rape. At its heart though its a character piece that deals with the trauma of vietnam and the sexual violence in the film seems to come from the experiences of the characters in Nam (where it was apparantly rife) and the film deals well in the scars, traumas and rifts the survivors dealt with. It's still equally an exploitation films as well and the code red transfer looks appropriately beat up. Its going to be a pain to get hold of but worth a look if you do get the opportunity.

Crumb.

A documentary about artist Robert Crumb, a legend in underground comics circles, it deals with both his career and family life. Weird to think the film is now over 20 years old, Crumb is an insightful, sometimes charming, sometimes genuinely disturbing portrait of an American artist. Not only do we look at his work, which some may describe as 'misogynistic' and his sexual appetites which seem to be more submissive towards women, we also get an intimate look at an abusive upbringing which left one potentially genius brother as an anti-social shut in, another a down and out artist who pretty much fits the definition of a sexual predator. Crumb is a wonderful, warts and all look at one of the greatest, and often unsung graphic artists of 20th century America. The Criterion blu is well worth seeking out!
Old 24th January 2015, 06:20 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
My old man's place.

Michel moriarty and William Devane play a couple of Nam' Vets freshly discharged, slumming around the city looking for some action they stumble across a gruff sarge' played by Mitchell Ryan beating the tar out of a cross dressing mugger. Fed up of the city they head out to Moriarty's dad's house out in the country. His dad, played by Arthur Kennedy is a WW2 veteran and can't quite get to grips with what his son and his new friends experienced. The PTSD each man is carrying shows itself in different ways. Devane is over the top and out of control, Ryan is Stoic, gruff and a ticking time bomb and Moriarty (in his first screen role) seems withdrawn and quiet.
The film is decidedly not Politically correct, especially in the fairly alarming way it treats rape. At its heart though its a character piece that deals with the trauma of vietnam and the sexual violence in the film seems to come from the experiences of the characters in Nam (where it was apparantly rife) and the film deals well in the scars, traumas and rifts the survivors dealt with. It's still equally an exploitation films as well and the code red transfer looks appropriately beat up. Its going to be a pain to get hold of but worth a look if you do get the opportunity.

Crumb.

A documentary about artist Robert Crumb, a legend in underground comics circles, it deals with both his career and family life. Weird to think the film is now over 20 years old, Crumb is an insightful, sometimes charming, sometimes genuinely disturbing portrait of an American artist. Not only do we look at his work, which some may describe as 'misogynistic' and his sexual appetites which seem to be more submissive towards women, we also get an intimate look at an abusive upbringing which left one potentially genius brother as an anti-social shut in, another a down and out artist who pretty much fits the definition of a sexual predator. Crumb is a wonderful, warts and all look at one of the greatest, and often unsung graphic artists of 20th century America. The Criterion blu is well worth seeking out!
Crumb is a fantastic doc have not seen it in years I have a big book of all his artwork somewhere. I will have to try get that blu ray.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th January 2015, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

About to watch cannibal the musical wonder if it's as good as it sounds
Old 24th January 2015, 06:28 PM
Cult Addict

It's by the makers of South Park and has some good moments Treb.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 24th January 2015, 06:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
It's by the makers of South Park and has some good moments Treb.
enjoying what ive seen. have an idea why he becomes a cannibal that man loves his horse
Old 24th January 2015, 06:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
enjoying what ive seen. have an idea why he becomes a cannibal that man loves his horse
Have you given up to Genesis of the Daleks, Treb?

Like this? Share it using the links below!