Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st November 2016, 03:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dis View Post
HI ALL,last night I watched "MARTYRS".
THE subtitled version by optimum releasing.
I enjoyed the film, but did find it hard to understand, and im still not sure I fully understand it!
the way I see it,is this;

girl escapes and leaves a 2nd behind.
15 years later she returns and kills the people who locked her up.
she then as visions of the girl she left behind.
escaped girl cuts herself,thinking she is being attacked by the girl she left.
the actual girl that was left is there but she is still underneath the house,chained up.
she gets freed,then shot by ??????
the other girl {lesbian partner?},then gets chained up,beaten and skinned.
think I got confused by now,so if anyone can explain it will be much appreciated.

think I may need to re view this film.

thanks
I second this emotion. Enjoy!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st November 2016, 03:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I second this emotion. Enjoy!!
I thought it was over hyped pants anyway. Wasn't even that brutal i thought.
Demoncrat and DaveH like this.
Old 21st November 2016, 03:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought it was over hyped pants anyway. Wasn't even that brutal i thought.
Yeah, as I sit here rubbing chip fat into dead kittens, I thought to myself....it's a kids film really

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st November 2016, 03:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Yeah, as I sit here rubbing chip fat into dead kittens, I thought to myself....it's a kids film really
No, not quite like that, but the hype would have you believe it was the most extreme and grueling film to ever get a certificate.

It wasn't. Hostel Part II was far more extreme as was Inside and films like Irreversible and Dans Ma Peau far more grueling.

Just my opinion though.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 21st November 2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 22nd November 2016, 09:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The God of Cookery (1996)

Stephen Chow plays an arrogant in the extreme cooking king who loses everything to an evil ambitious understudy. Now living in the alleyways he finds his only hope to regain his title of 'God of Cookery' is a street vendor with secret desires for him.

No beating about the bush, The God of Cookery is ****ing nuts. Full of laugh out loud balmy comedy and wince with your teeth clenched violence. Playing like a spoof of Hong Kong cinema but with outstanding, what can only be described as martial art cookery sequences involving flames, knives, Shaolin Monastery's, oh and some angels from cookery heaven. Stephen Chow's film, he directed as well as starred in it, is difficult to pigeon hole and sum up in a few short sentences. It's often mean spirited but also satisfying and finally rather touching and come the end you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

If that's not enough there are the subtitles which i think were translated and adapted by a chimp on acid such is their hilarity and absurdity.

Bake Off this ain't. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600full-god-of-cookery-poster.jpg (55.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 22nd November 2016, 11:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

My Name is Bruce. Cult legend in his own lunch-hour Bruce Campbell directs and produces this film sending himself up as a hack z rate movie actor, in a well, hack z rate movie. He dredges up all his old buddies from the Evil Dead movies and gives them bit parts, does his chin who conquered Hollywood bit, runs away, then comes back again to save the day from Gun-Di, Chinese God of war and bean curd.

I've got the 3 disc special edition of this, which comes with a disc of special features and of course, everyone's second favourite Bruce movie Bubba Ho-Tep. It also has a 22 page cartoon booklet of the film enclosed.

If you like Bruce being Bruce and haven't checked out the movie yet, then wait no longer. Grace Thorsen is also rather fetching.
Old 23rd November 2016, 10:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Wall Street (1987)

A greedy young stockbroker is taken under the wing of the ruthless Gordon Gecko, a power hungry broker

For a first time viewing in 2016 the setting of 1985 seemed incredibly dated as did the plot in a way although trading in stocks and shares in the bull rings is just as massive now as it ever was then. In spite of this Oliver Stone's film is still pretty impressive, powered along by a massive performance from Michael Douglas as Gecko a character who came to define the 'Greed is Good' 80's era and the idea that those with money can have everything. He is quite repulsive but also extremely charismatic even with his bullying ways and is ever so watchable.

Whilst watching figures play out across screens is hardly exciting, Stone adds a lot of feeling to the remainder, especially the father son relationship played out by real life father and son Martin and Charlie Sheen. The film also plays up the seedy hedonistic attitude that would reach it's peak in 2013's The Wolf of Wall Street.

An entirely relevant tale of money, power and broken dreams, despite it's dated imagery, Wall Street still stands tall today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wall-Street.jpg (96.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 24th November 2016, 08:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Wall Street is still extremely relevant today as we're still paying the price. In the U.K Thatcher deregulated the markets in 1986, not long after Reagan relaxed regulations stateside. This created an environment where traders could just deal based on numbers on a screen while sat in their office, the money and consequences seemed more distant so they took more risks. Then 2008 happened.

Some safeguards were put into place in 2013, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle regarding attitudes. Obama managed to squeeze the Dodds-Frank act past the house in 2010 which went some way to making things more transparent, of Course Trump is repealing that bill. The markets will probably crash again through the actions of people looking at spreadsheets and taking massive risks with our money. Some still believe 'Greed is good'.

Wall Street is a fantastic film, and something of a warning.
Old 24th November 2016, 08:30 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

In Bed With Madonna (1991)

A warts and all document of pop icon Madonna's 1990 Blonde Ambition world tour.

Shot in grainy black and white with 6 or 7 stage performed songs in colour the film is both interesting and at times funny as we see just what it's like being Madonna. In truth it doesn't paint a pretty picture at times as she comes over very materialistic when shopping at Chanel in Paris and obnoxious when a concert doesn't go to plan and her mic persists on cutting out. Sticking her tongue out in a eurgh gesture after meeting Kevin Costner who was a huge star at the time thanks to Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, Dances With Wolves , JFK and The Untouchables smacks of an i'm better than you arrogance that didn't go down well with me.

Some of the funniest scenes involve her then boyfriend, Warren Beatty, who she met on the set of the previous years Dick Tracy. He seems bemused by the cameras and often disapproves of the documentary being made, and real drama comes in the shape of the Toronto police who threaten to arrest her if she does her usual masturbation simulation whilst performing Like a Virgin. However she does and they don't. Thankfully the song is shown performed in full and as with the rest of the performance footage provides a colourful antidote and good music to the rest of the monochrome production.

If anything the film is let down by the fact it is just Madonna. Had this been about a band all the members would have had their turn in the spotlight but as this is simply one person the focus often shifts to her backing dancers which to be frank i don't care about although the final game of Truth or Dare (The US title of the film) at the end of the tour, where she invites each dancer onto a bed with her is both fun and ever so slightly sleazy but it shows a side to the singer previously unseen among all the tantrums, throat problems and general rebellious attitude seen before hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_ktw1zgma121qzwlqr.jpg (39.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th November 2016, 08:32 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
Wall Street is a fantastic film, and something of a warning.
Is the sequel any good?

Like this? Share it using the links below!