Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th December 2016, 05:30 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Anyone else ever get to about the 45 minute mark and can't decide whether they should not waste the next 45 or capitalise on their investment and persist?
I have got so much in my 'to watch' pile, if a film hasn't grabbed me within the first 20 minutes, it's likely to be turned off and added to the 'return to the charity shop' pile!
trebor8273 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 12th December 2016, 09:46 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I turned off I Am Legend last night after about 25 minutes. I actually like the film (even if it is yet another ****-up of the Richard Matheson book), but last night i found my mind wandering to what's going to happen next rather than just enjoying the moment. Turned it off.
Old 12th December 2016, 10:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

A mixed bag this weekend, I actually decided the other day to only watch films I've not seen before and then ended up watching 3 I've seen multiple times instead of the massive 'to watch' pile

Mustang (2015) was new though, and what a film! It's not for everyone, being a film about female oppression and arranged marriage in Turkey but it's a kind of distant cousin to The Virgin Suicides. If you liked that film and you don't mind subtitles then this is worth watching - I loved it even if the last 30 minutes was pretty sombre.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th December 2016, 10:42 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

An OTT CGI animation fest featuring talking tree trunks and gerbils with attitude, yes the sort of thing George Lucas gets vilified for, but as it's Marvel who are todays Media darlings everything is fine.

I nodded off after about 40 mins.
Old 12th December 2016, 10:44 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)

An OTT CGI animation fest featuring talking tree trunks and gerbils with attitude, yes the sort of thing George Lucas gets vilified for, but as it's Marvel who are todays Media darlings everything is fine.

I nodded off after about 40 mins.
I wasn't impressed either, I was going to give it a repeat viewing to see if it was the wrong film at the wrong time, but a few people since have also watched it and said it was boring/crap. I don't think I'll bother until my next Marvel series run through.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 12th December 2016, 11:18 AM
Cult Addict

Seriously? Everything's fine because it's a great film. Entertaining, funny, visually brilliant, great characters, great soundtrack. It's better than anything Georgie Lucas ever bloody did, including the original trilogy.
keirarts, trebor8273 and Deadite like this.
Old 12th December 2016, 11:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Anyone else ever get to about the 45 minute mark and can't decide whether they should not waste the next 45 or capitalise on their investment and persist?
Watching The Greasy Strangler were you?
mr 420 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th December 2016, 11:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching Carlos The Jackal (2010, Olivier Assayas)

Energetic retelling of Illich Ramirez' defence of Palestine by any mean necessary. Since I seem to have misplaced me Baader Meinhoff Complex etc....
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th December 2016, 12:06 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Seriously? Everything's fine because it's a great film. Entertaining, funny, visually brilliant, great characters, great soundtrack. It's better than anything Georgie Lucas ever bloody did, including the original trilogy.
Have you started early on the drams today, J?
Old 12th December 2016, 12:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
You tell 'em!

I think it's great. I think on the evidence of a year or so, i can count the number of films that Dem and i both like or dislike on no hands.
J Harker likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!