Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2016, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 16

High Rise (2016)

Tom Hiddlestone stars as Robert Laing, a well to do doctor who moves into a new state of the art skyscraper, designed as a luxurious solution to the problems of the city. However things soon start to unravel as the electricity goes on the blink and food begins to run out. As the residents break into tribal factions, Laing finds himself in the middle of mounting violence, violence that he also merges into.

Based on JG Ballards 1975 story of the same name, Ben Wheatley's film is the story of the breakdown of society and the class structure to be replaced by primal savagery. The film is violent and very sexual yet totally unerotic. It's definitely sci-fi but quirky with it. A dystopian future set in the 70's.

Perhaps the nearest celluloid work to High Rise is the 1987 Doctor Who story Paradise Towers which was also significantly influenced by Ballard's story, although i'm fairly sure Keeley Hawes didn't ride into a top floor penthouse suite on a large white horse, dismount, then ask, nay demand, to be '****ed up the arse' in Doctor Who. Still there's time. Other comparisons include David Cronenberg's Shivers although there are no parasites here other than the residents, High Rise has that same desolate, degenerative feel. Yet it's also devilishly funny with terrific conversations and one liners throughout. Obviously not one liners like Jimmy Carr, this is Ballard we are talking about after all. Amid all the humour there's that constant feeling of unease meaning you wonder to yourself if you should be laughing.

The movie has a bizarre, chaotic energy much like the book that is sometimes hard to follow, again, much like the book. It starts out strong, introducing the various characters and their many idiosyncracies as Wheatley attempts to blend arthouse cinema into the mainstream. The cast is phenomenal. Hiddleston perfect as Laing, looking immaculate as he did in The Night Manager until the rot sets in. Luke Evans is bizarre as is Jeremy Irons as the architect and the lovely Sienna Miller shines as she did in Factory Girl. She really has the looks and hair for 60's/ 70's set films.

Unfortunately the film fails to grip. There's so much going on it tends to wash over you in a tidal wave of angst rather than a cohesive story. I have read the book, in the early 90's, so memories of that were useful but the same flaws the book has also feature here in that the idea of the breakdown of society is always there but not an awful lot is done with it. For example why didn't the residents just leave? They had cars parked outside. The film has everyone apparently trapped in an inescapable bubble that doesn't make a lot of sense but if you can get over these issues there's much here to enjoy.

Recommended...but not for all.

Old 18th December 2016, 03:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched an enjoyable and charming, low budget 50's small town American horror flick called Return of Dracula (1958) or as it's known by its rather misleading UK title; The Fantastic Disappearing Man. Gets a solid 7/10 from me.

Rather interestingly it has the same DOP as the Karloff and Lewton feature Isle of the Dead (1945) and the music composer of Paths of Glory (1957 and The Killing (1956). It benefits from good performances across the board, especially the main vampiric character, a solid script, decent effects and cinematography.

Anyone else seen it, if not, I would recommend it if you are in the mood for a good 1950's horror/B movie.

Last edited by Buboven; 18th December 2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 18th December 2016, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 18th December 2016, 05:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
High Rise (2016)

Tom Hiddlestone stars as Robert Laing, a well to do doctor who moves into a new state of the art skyscraper, designed as a luxurious solution to the problems of the city. However things soon start to unravel as the electricity goes on the blink and food begins to run out. As the residents break into tribal factions, Laing finds himself in the middle of mounting violence, violence that he also merges into.

Based on JG Ballards 1975 story of the same name, Ben Wheatley's film is the story of the breakdown of society and the class structure to be replaced by primal savagery. The film is violent and very sexual yet totally unerotic. It's definitely sci-fi but quirky with it. A dystopian future set in the 70's.

Perhaps the nearest celluloid work to High Rise is the 1987 Doctor Who story Paradise Towers which was also significantly influenced by Ballard's story, although i'm fairly sure Keeley Hawes didn't ride into a top floor penthouse suite on a large white horse, dismount, then ask, nay demand, to be '****ed up the arse' in Doctor Who. Still there's time. Other comparisons include David Cronenberg's Shivers although there are no parasites here other than the residents, High Rise has that same desolate, degenerative feel. Yet it's also devilishly funny with terrific conversations and one liners throughout. Obviously not one liners like Jimmy Carr, this is Ballard we are talking about after all. Amid all the humour there's that constant feeling of unease meaning you wonder to yourself if you should be laughing.

The movie has a bizarre, chaotic energy much like the book that is sometimes hard to follow, again, much like the book. It starts out strong, introducing the various characters and their many idiosyncracies as Wheatley attempts to blend arthouse cinema into the mainstream. The cast is phenomenal. Hiddleston perfect as Laing, looking immaculate as he did in The Night Manager until the rot sets in. Luke Evans is bizarre as is Jeremy Irons as the architect and the lovely Sienna Miller shines as she did in Factory Girl. She really has the looks and hair for 60's/ 70's set films.

Unfortunately the film fails to grip. There's so much going on it tends to wash over you in a tidal wave of angst rather than a cohesive story. I have read the book, in the early 90's, so memories of that were useful but the same flaws the book has also feature here in that the idea of the breakdown of society is always there but not an awful lot is done with it. For example why didn't the residents just leave? They had cars parked outside. The film has everyone apparently trapped in an inescapable bubble that doesn't make a lot of sense but if you can get over these issues there's much here to enjoy.

Recommended...but not for all.

Spot on review Dem. I've been meaning to write one on this for weeks.
Old 18th December 2016, 05:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Spot on review Dem. I've been meaning to write one on this for weeks.
Thanks, and please do. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on the film.
Old 18th December 2016, 05:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thanks, and please do. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on the film.
I rented High-Rise and loved it, but want to watch it again before writing about it.
Old 18th December 2016, 05:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

One of hammers best. 9.2/10

Next up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (8.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 18th December 2016, 05:47 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Next up.
Good call treb! Deep Rising is great.
keirarts, trebor8273 and Deadite like this.
Old 18th December 2016, 08:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Tis the season to be gory......

Watched:
THE ASH TREE
A WARNING TO THE CURIOUS
STIGMA
LOST HEARTS
THE SIGNALMAN

And DON'T OPEN 'TILL CHRISTMAS,my favourite sleazy Santa slasher which looks AMAZING on the German Blu ray!
The season of gory continues.....

SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT
CHRISTMAS EVIL
TO ALL A GOODNIGHT

Just waiting on Scream Factory's BLACK CHRISTMAS to arrive now.....

Will culminate with NEW YEARS EVIL!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 18th December 2016, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Forgotten how much fun this movie is, a fantastic monster movie with likable characters and none stop action. Only downsides is the CGI effects of the creature have not aged well and we never got the sequel hinted at the end of the movie. 8.5/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (8.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 18th December 2016 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Fixed the YouTube link

Like this? Share it using the links below!