LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2017, 07:53 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
(Wonder where Abberline is?)
In a monkey suit chained up in someone's basement no doubt.
Old 5th March 2017, 08:45 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
The black and white version of The Mist masks some of the shoddy CGI, it's the version I normally opt for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I keep forgetting about the B&W version. I think it's Frank Darabonts preference isn't it?
Yes

He states as much in the introduction to the BW version. To him, it feels more like a 'proper' creature feature from the 60's

Apparently Stephen King envisioned it as a BW film when he wrote it as well

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th March 2017, 12:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Petrified (2006)

An alien mummy begins a killing spree at a secluded clinic for the treatment of nymphomania.

With pure exploitation credentials like this you'd think even Charles Band could make a decent fist of it. Unfortunately he can't. The mummy kills by turning people into stone with badly pixelated computer effect lasers from it's eyes and the girls actually put clothes on to have sex. Petrified is a lame excuse for a film and it's slender 62 minute run time feels like hours.

Awful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1727844148232515.jpg (21.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 5th March 2017, 03:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

FLASH GORDON (1936)
13 PART SERIAL

Pretty awesome first screen adventure for Flash Gordon.
Thirteen very full cliff-hanger episodes. It's all here, Hawkmen, Rocketships, Fire Monsters, Shark Men etc..
Universal also use a lot of sets and music cues from some of their horror films.
Poor old Flash is pulled this way and that between Dale Arden and Princess Aura. Me, I have a soft spot for Aura (Priscilla Lawson) Lol !

In 1996, Flash Gordon was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Recommended.
Old 5th March 2017, 10:35 PM
Cult Addict

Logan

It's the near future and the world is somewhat messed up. No new mutants have been born for 25 years and America is slipping under the control of corporations. Logan, no longer Wolverine is a washed up bum slowly being killed by the adamantium on his bones. He's working as a Limo driver to support a decrepit Charles Xavier, now suffering from a degenerative neurological disease that makes him a danger to all those around him. One day a young mutant with powers similar to Logan's arrives and he must take her on a road trip to the Canadian border with Xavier in order to find a mysterious mutant safe haven.
Logan is possibly the best of the X-men film by a long way. Even if you don't like superhero films it plays more like a western road movie with the ultra violence of something like lone wolf and cub. Its a film that does not require having seen the previous X-men films or even liking them. Instead its possibly the closest thing the character will have to a Dark Knight returns moment. The acting is superb. Its a shame its a 'genre' film as the academy will most likely ignore it, but both Jackman and Stewart give amazing performances. It almost feels like someone took the superhero movie and decided to see whats the darkest most high quality material we can deliver. I hope Zach Snyder sees it as he might learn what a mature movie actually is. Genuinely great, go see it.
Old 6th March 2017, 01:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BEYOND THE DARKNESS – Venerable Italian hack Joe D'Amato probably only made three or four good movies, maybe fewer if you insist on discounting 'Anthropophagous'. Out of that vanishingly rare bunch, this one is perhaps his 'masterpiece'. 'Beyond the Darkness' is gutter-lurking slime in celluloid form, but it's effective, and still manages to get under the skin after all these years. For anyone who hasn't had the pleasure, it's about a grief stricken taxidermist who can't handle the (black magic related?) death of his beloved fiance, so he runs off with her corpse and prepares the slab back at his mansion. He also finds time for a bit of pseudo-incest with his housekeeper and some slashing of young women. 'Beyond The Darkness' has the dumb, trashy quality of much bargain basement Italo rip-off cinema of its era, but somehow manages to attain quite a grim, sordid atmosphere, leaving any cheap laughs (like perhaps those at the expense of its awful small town nightclub scene) ringing pretty hollow in the end. The twisted, obsessive elements are really out in front – when lover boy does his DIY autopsy on his dearly departed, he bites deep into her engorged heart. Even more indelible are scenes like the one where taxidermy guy, whimpering, sucks the breast of his gaunt looking maid. 'Beyond The Darkness's universe is narrow, bleak and squalid, inhabited by completely unlikeable characters who are pathetic at the same time as they're hideous. Thinking about it now, although I mentioned it shares a lot with B movies made in Italy at the time, there really isn't a lot to compare it to. It doesn't exactly feel personal, but it's certainly unique. Foetid and vile without being particularly explicit, 'Beyond the Darkness' gets a full-on recommendation from me.

ABSURD – Another good JD'A flick, 'Absurd' is basically 'Anthropophagous part 2'. A lot of people seem to dislike the first 'Anthro...'. I can sort of see why, it's a pretty dumb flick and could potentially come across as quite dull, being one of the ultimate 'characters wandering around in the dark' type affairs. For some reason its atmosphere just clicks with me though, and I'm not ashamed to say that it's definitely somewhere in my Euro-grot top ten. 'Absurd' is a very different kind of movie. D'Amato seems to have been going for a more 'American' feel, and tries to import the basic elements of the original into a small-town slasher type framework. He also tightens up the pace and ladles on the gore. It works. E Purdom is some kind of vicar-assassin who's been charged with tracking down lumbering killer George Eastman in a trans-continental manhunt that's ended in Nowheresville USA. Eastman is apparently the outcome of some weird experiment, maybe involving the Vatican, which has resulted in him gaining superhuman powers of regeneration. He goes on a killing spree and ends up the house of a little girl with knackered legs. 'Absurd' is pretty great. Early European attempts to turn the screw and do imitation slashers rather than Gialli are always fun and slightly (or very) weird – see the likes of 'Bloody Moon' et al. 'Absurd' can be viewed along these lines. Effort has been made to make it fit with a 'Halloween'-ish template, but it's steeped in that far stranger, Euro-atmosphere. The soundtrack has a lot to do with 'Abusrd's basic 'feel', being a classic Italo-prog nightmare which seems perpetually on the brink of a cathedral orgasm. There are silly bits such as the scene where Purdom reveals his dog collar and the local detective blurts “turns out you're a priest!”, but 'Absurd' also makes room for the sheer dreaminess of the sequence where the little girl with knackered legs crawls and cowers whilst a blind George Eastman flails around after her in a house full of booming Messiaen-type organ music. And who could top the climax, where the girl decaps the beast and proudly brandishes Eastman's blood spattered mug? See it if you haven't already.
Sterling stuff as always F!! Hopefully these will convince a few fence sitters regarding these "classics" .
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th March 2017, 09:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Logan has taken $244m worldwide in it's first weekend.

The studio will be demanding another soon enough.

No spoilers to contradict this post please.
Old 6th March 2017, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:

I think if anything it shows that adults want to see films designed for adults and not this crappy 12A or PG-13 stuff we've been getting for the past 5 years. I'm still surprised that this wasn't an 18 cert.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th March 2017, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

Just not my scene really tbh not into x men wolverine and all that type of stuff .
Old 6th March 2017, 10:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Someone name me a really good film from last year, preferably not a big blockbuster film.
Or any decent film before year 2000 and one of them I'll watch in a few min when I go to bed .

Like this? Share it using the links below!