All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:31 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What do others think of The Neon Demon?
When I watched it at the cinema I was very impressed and couldn't wait for it to be released on Blu-ray. I bought it day one and attempted to watch it the same evening...I couldn't finish it.

For some reason everything that impressed me on the big screen I found annoying at home. The glaring similarities to other films became more apparent, I didn't even enjoy the film of a visceral level.

Ive never had wildly differing reactions to the same film before, perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind.

I'll certainly attempt to watch it again, as I said, I loved it after my initial viewing.

To put things in context, I liked Drive and really liked Only God Forgives, although interestingly I've only seen the latter once.
Old 2nd January 2017, 10:30 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A Monster Calls

Stories are wild creatures.

A boy attempts to deal with his mother's illness and the bullying of his classmates by escaping to a fantastical world.

I saw this yesterday and won't say too much about it because, aside from the tagline, brief synopsis, and the teaser trailer which I have put above, it is probably better to watch it knowing as little as possible. I went in as someone who loved The Orphanage, really liked The Impossible, and believes J. A. Bayona is a tremendous filmmaker, so expected great things from a film with a cast including Felicity Jones, Sigourney Weaver, and Liam Neeson. I haven't seen Pan, so knew nothing about Lewis MacDougall, and his central performance is exceptional.

I will say one thing: this is a heartbreaker, so take tissues.
Old 2nd January 2017, 10:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
When I watched it at the cinema I was very impressed and couldn't wait for it to be released on Blu-ray. I bought it day one and attempted to watch it the same evening...I couldn't finish it.

For some reason everything that impressed me on the big screen I found annoying at home. The glaring similarities to other films became more apparent, I didn't even enjoy the film of a visceral level.

Ive never had wildly differing reactions to the same film before, perhaps I wasn't in the right frame of mind.

I'll certainly attempt to watch it again, as I said, I loved it after my initial viewing.

To put things in context, I liked Drive and really liked Only God Forgives, although interestingly I've only seen the latter once.
Thanks for the reply, Frankenhooker, some interesting comments. Happy New Year to you.
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:34 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
A Monster Calls

Stories are wild creatures.

A boy attempts to deal with his mother's illness and the bullying of his classmates by escaping to a fantastical world.

I saw this yesterday and won't say too much about it because, aside from the tagline, brief synopsis, and the teaser trailer which I have put above, it is probably better to watch it knowing as little as possible. I went in as someone who loved The Orphanage, really liked The Impossible, and believes J. A. Bayona is a tremendous filmmaker, so expected great things from a film with a cast including Felicity Jones, Sigourney Weaver, and Liam Neeson. I haven't seen Pan, so knew nothing about Lewis MacDougall, and his central performance is exceptional.

I will say one thing: this is a heartbreaker, so take tissues.
I'm looking forward to seeing this one. Hopefully it'll stay in the cinema for a little bit.
Old 2nd January 2017, 12:29 PM
Cult Addict

Horror house on highway 5

Director Richard Casey shot this over the course of several years, renting equipment at the weekend and shooting the film piecemeal. As a result the film feels somewhat patchy and the 'plot' involving Nazis, stoners and a bloke in a Richard Nixon mask feels all over the place. Honestly though, unlike that other patchwork mess Vinegar syndrome put out, Night train to terror I had a lot of fun with this in spite of its myriad flaws. Casey made a living shooting music videos for various LA based punk bands and the Punk sensibility seems to have filtered through into this film. Its not great but it's one for me where the messiness of the whole affair added something to its charm.

Hellbent

Another film from Casey, this one is more coherant and proffessional. Its essentially a take on Faust set in the underbelly of LA's Punk scene. Like Horror house the film feels very much part of the scene and reminded me a little of Repo man for some reason. Its pretty anarchic and solidly entertaining and shows that with time and a little cash Casey can deliver something interesting.
Old 2nd January 2017, 05:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Suicide Squad (2016)

Having read all the negativity on here and elsewhere i went into Suicide Squad not expecting much especially as i'm not the greatest fan of superhero movies in general.

However i really enjoyed it. I liked the characters. I thought Will Smith was excellent as Deadshot as was Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. Joel Kinnaman did well as the only non hero type in the group and i thought Jared Leto was terrifying a the Joker. Whereas Heath Ledger was edgy and Jack Nicholson just played himself, Leto i thought was genuinely scary. It can be argued that some of the other Squad members weren't as fleshed out as the ones mentioned but that's got to be expected in just over 100 minutes.

The plot was fairly straight forward and grounded on Earth's streets which is always a bonus (I get bored very quickly with Thor and Loki throwing planets at each other) and the pacing was brisk which meant i was always interested. The only let down was the final battle with Enchantress which was a CGI mess as happens in pretty much every superhero film of the 21st century.

On the whole Suicide Squad was an edgy, violent film and a cut above most of it's kind. Far superior to the one trick pony that was Deadpool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ck0jBWOUUAQLKFX.jpg (94.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 2nd January 2017, 05:46 PM
Cult Addict

Glad u liked Suicide Squad Dem, i saw it at the cinema and really enjoyed it, Harley Quinn is sex on legs.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 2nd January 2017, 05:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Glad u liked Suicide Squad Dem, i saw it at the cinema and really enjoyed it, Harley Quinn is sex on legs.
Loved that scene at the army base where the Squad are given their items back. All the soldiers gazing at Harley as she changes clothes. So funny.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 2nd January 2017, 06:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I liked it too and never understood all the hate it got. I'm yet to see the extended cut though
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 2nd January 2017, 06:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I liked it too and never understood all the hate it got. I'm yet to see the extended cut though
Really doesn't add much just extra scenes to do with joker and Harley. Agree about the hate it gets its a fun and enjoyable film which is a lot better than man of steel and batman vs Superman

Like this? Share it using the links below!