Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 27

Crimson Peak (2015)

Guillermo del Toro's Gothic horror tale is an absolute gem. A hauntingly beautiful tale that's a treat for the eyes from the gorgeous costumes to the stunning Gothic decaying house at Crimson Peak itself.

Superbly acted by Jessica Chastain, Tom Hiddleston and Mia Wasikowska as the nattily titled Edith Cushing, the story as with many in the Gothic genre is part doomed romance part supernatural horror and it's in these parts where i find my only grumbles. Firstly i don't like Wasikowska, i don't find her attractive or appealing as a love interest, in fact it looked as if she'd wandered straight from the set of Alice in Wonderland, so wasn't quite so rooting for her as i should have been, even though her acting convinced, and the CGI ghosts which admittedly weren't on screen all that much were really poorly rendered and not the least bit scary.

The film certainly gained marks for it's atmosphere which i liken to that of Sleepy Hollow (1999) and it's occasional sequences of shocking violence which turned Crimson Peak into a dark love story with a surreal other worldly atmosphere rather than a Gothic romance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crimson-Peak-2015-?????????????.jpg (75.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Crimson Peak (2015)
Glad you enjoyed this one Dem.

I watched it earlier on in the year via Love Film and subsequently bought the Blu-ray Steelbook. I watched it again over Christmas and was happy to say that I enjoyed it as much the second time around. It's not without flaws, but is a solid, well acted, gothic chiller regardless.
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Suicide Squad (2016)

Having read all the negativity on here and elsewhere i went into Suicide Squad not expecting much especially as i'm not the greatest fan of superhero movies in general.

However i really enjoyed it. I liked the characters. I thought Will Smith was excellent as Deadshot as was Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. Joel Kinnaman did well as the only non hero type in the group and i thought Jared Leto was terrifying a the Joker. Whereas Heath Ledger was edgy and Jack Nicholson just played himself, Leto i thought was genuinely scary. It can be argued that some of the other Squad members weren't as fleshed out as the ones mentioned but that's got to be expected in just over 100 minutes.

The plot was fairly straight forward and grounded on Earth's streets which is always a bonus (I get bored very quickly with Thor and Loki throwing planets at each other) and the pacing was brisk which meant i was always interested. The only let down was the final battle with Enchantress which was a CGI mess as happens in pretty much every superhero film of the 21st century.

On the whole Suicide Squad was an edgy, violent film and a cut above most of it's kind. Far superior to the one trick pony that was Deadpool.
Now I'm interested.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 2nd January 2017, 07:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I liked it too and never understood all the hate it got. I'm yet to see the extended cut though
The Extended Suicide Squad is even better. There are a lot of differences, sometimes just small added dialogue.

Every Difference in Suicide Squad’s Extended Cut
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 3rd January 2017, 02:15 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Over xmas and new yr i didnt watch many films but 3 that i did stuck out.

Short eyes
Across 110th street
The miracle worker

All 3 where out standing and superb and fine eg of what ive always said and always will, these are the type of films that prove they just dont make films as well as they use to, . Not just the films the preformances as well
Across 110th street blaxplotation at its finest
Short eyes i love the old prison films like this glass house, scum etc where prison films where raw, tough, gritty and gripping.
But the miracle worker... Well what can i say wow what a outstanding piece of film making, about trying to learn a young blind and deaf girl right from wrong, manners, and learn how to communicate. she cant and doesnt know how to because she use to getting her own way all her life down to the fact her parents couldnt cope didnt know how to or want and found it difficult.
So a miracle worker was brought in to do the job, who the girl father wasnt happy or keen at first with her methods. Because she was tough and firm but as the old saying goes you got to be cruel to be kind. Both gave great perfomances battling against each other as to who was the most stubborn and who was going to give in first.
But at times you could see it taking her toll and proving a hard task to do, the dinner table scene was a tough but memorising scene to watch and prove that she wasnt prepared to give up no matter how hard or difficult it was. And at times giving the young girl a taste of her own medicine
The young girl was so outstanding and convincing you could actual think and believe that they actually used a real deaf and blind girl. You just couldnt find a better performance if you tried.
Top notch film with fantastic performances, seek out if you never seen the film. You certainly wont be dissapointed.
These are the type of films i would like to see released, forgotten or hidden gems, that have been neglected instead of releasing the same films over and over again for the umpteen times like Toxic avenger, tcm, Burning etc.
Old 3rd January 2017, 07:56 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I liked it too and never understood all the hate it got. I'm yet to see the extended cut though
I thought suicide squad was the best of the DC movies. I would disagree that its better than deadpool as in spite of it being fun its tedchnically incompetent with some of the worst editing i've seen in a major Hollywood movie and Jared Leto has absolutely no on screen charisma as the Joker. In spite of that its a good laugh and worth a couple of hours of anyones time.
Old 3rd January 2017, 03:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 28

The Shallows (2016)

A mere 200 yards from shore, surfer Nancy is attacked by a great white shark, stranded and alone (except for Steven Seagull) a battle for survival ensues.

I have to say i loved this film. Basically a one woman show with that woman being the gorgeous Blake Lively. The whole experience lived or died on her performance and i have to say she was tremendous.

I can't remember a thriller which grabbed me like this did and refused to let go, never did my attention wander and the slim 82 minutes run time flew by. Following an opening where i was pretty much drooling over the lovely Lively the film turns horribly bleak following the first shark attack. Lust gave way to nail biting tension with some scenes of stomach turning gore to boot. In fact i'm cringing just typing this out as i think back to what happened.

Director Jaume Collet-Serra makes the most out of the single location with excellent cinematography making the film feel so claustrophobic even though it's shot in a wide open space with beautiful clear water and exotic surroundings.

Easily the best shark movie i've seen in years. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shallows.jpg (54.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 3rd January 2017, 06:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Deathgasm (2015)

Demons and metal music should make perfect partners, however some of this was just cringe inducing. I know Nordy raved about this film but i thought it fairly mundane with a bit of decent gore but instantly forgettable.

Green Room (2015)

Punk kids and skin heads shout at each other from behind a door. I mean, what did they expect? Even the truly idiotic wouldn't play a White Power gig opening up with a cover of the Dead Kennedy's Nazi Punks **** Off!. Just asking for trouble.

The odd bit of grizzly violence aside this was unremarkable.
Old 3rd January 2017, 06:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The Shallows (2016)
Coincidentally, this is been sent out by Lovefilm today, so I'll give it a watch tomorrow or Thursday. I hope I'm as impressed as you.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 3rd January 2017, 06:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Coincidentally, this is been sent out by Lovefilm today, so I'll give it a watch tomorrow or Thursday. I hope I'm as impressed as you.
You'll probably hate it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!