Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2017, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another festively themed movie, the original and still the best. 9/10

Start of my star wars marathon before the next film, superior to the fan service that was the force awakens, really enjoyed the dark tone of the film, Tarkin while not as bad as on the big screen still looks a bit off especially face on but a million times better than the CGI nightmare of steppenwolf from justice league. By far my favourite character was the droid followed by Donnie Yens blind samurai, jedi wannabe. 8.8/10

Not going to bother with the first two prequels but will watch the the clone wars animated series and revenge of the sith instead.
Old 12th December 2017, 07:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 11th - Oltre il guado (2013)

Titled Across the River in the UK, this Italian film is a creepy slow burner which once or twice i found genuinely chilling.

It's a one man film about Marco, an ethologist studying the night time behaviour of forest species. Crossing a river in his RV he comes across a deserted village lost in the forest.

Utilizing video camera techniques for capturing animal activity you get the impression this is a found footage movie however this is only minimal. The film is largely dialogue free, it's also music free, meaning the sounds we hear are the sounds Marco hears. Through surround speakers this makes for an eerie and dare i say scary audio experience as strange haunting sounds emanate from the left and right speakers.

There isn't much story to the film. We are entirely with Marco as he investigates the sounds and strange occurrences in the ghost town. The film gripped me from the start and had me staring at the screen and listening for things that go bump in the night throughout.

I really enjoyed Oltre il guado, things don't jump out at you, it's horror of the subtle, hypnotic variety, atmospheric horror that finds favour with me.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg across-the-river.jpg (99.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 12th December 2017, 09:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted D. Twas in the land of the pound I'm sure.
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th December 2017, 09:22 AM
Cult Addict

Ryde

A random nutcase takes a woman home in an uber cab. Kills her then calls the uber back. He kills the driver and takes over his car, picking up random fares and killing them. While on face value its fairly predictable, up to and including the 'final girl' I rather liked this. It plays well on the idea that your essentially getting into some strangers car and putting your trust in them not being some psychopathic monster. Here the casting is good, the killer is superficially good looking enough that its plausible women might be attracted to him. He plays someone who might not immediately strike you as being off the deep end until its too late. The final girl has a strikingly poor choice in men which adds to the plausibility of her putting her trust in this guy. The film has a very clear John Carpenter influence to things as well, framed 2:35:1 and with a moody synth score. Worth giving a chance to.

Some kind of hate

A bullied goth kid gets sent to boot camp after stabbing one of his persecutors. There he finds the torment continues until he inadvertently summons the spirit of a girl who killed herself at camp some years previously. The spirit then carves her way through most of the camp with some revelations about the councillors on the way. Pretty much what you expect it to be, its a film that isn't especially original or surprising. Its competently made, looks decent and is well paced enough to be worth your time though.
Old 13th December 2017, 01:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

This is an enjoyable time that is stylishly shot, solidly directed by Kenneth Branagh (who also stars as protagonist detective Hercule Poirot, and is excellent in the role), and features a great all-star supporting cast that doesn’t phone it in, not even the actors in the smallest roles. However, it doesn’t do anything with the source material that hasn’t been done before with previous adaptations of Agatha Christie’s famous novel. Definitely worth a watch.

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 13th December 2017, 04:24 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

This is an enjoyable time that is stylishly shot, solidly directed by Kenneth Branagh (who also stars as protagonist detective Hercule Poirot, and is excellent in the role), and features a great all-star supporting cast that doesn’t phone it in, not even the actors in the smallest roles. However, it doesn’t do anything with the source material that hasn’t been done before with previous adaptations of Agatha Christie’s famous novel. Definitely worth a watch.

*** out of *****

Is the ending the same as before? In case of spoilers Just say yes or no?
Old 13th December 2017, 04:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Is the ending the same as before? In case of spoilers Just say yes or no?
I haven't seen any other versions but from everything I have read about them since watching this film at the cinema, it has the same denouement, though with a slightly different location.
Old 13th December 2017, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Am getting the chance to show someone Wrong Cops.

Another success. He loved Rubber, so twas a given really. Just an excuse to watch it again. So I can say I'm a Quentin man after all
Ahem.

Creep around with some kooky crimebusters. Highly Recommended. But only if Rubber didn't make you throw it out the window

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 13th December 2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 13th December 2017, 06:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Hustlers (2013, Wayne Kramer)
This was a recommendation. Enjoying it so far. A portmanteau of sorts focused around a pawn shop. A hoot and a 'Xmas' movie if you squint
The only W Kramer I know is the guitarist in the MC5. So the comm should be interesting ....
An oddity really. 4 tales (with the pawn shop wraparound ahem). Apparently he did a film called Running Scared? ... so I'm fairly sure it's nae the chap from the MC5 )
keirarts likes this.

[B]
Old 14th December 2017, 06:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Raiders Of Atlantis (1983, Ruggero Deodato)

An absolute classic. Why doth it languish so??

Arrow/ Shameless/ 88/ ANYONE DAGNABBIT should put this out. Mate's vhs so washed out/ pan & scanned I cannot live like this.

BD NOW!!!

Ahem. And breathe.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!