Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th February 2017, 08:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
How about supernova or Robocop 3? Both those are far worse than Pandorum.
I thought it was okay-ish but like others here I've yet to feel the urge to watch it again.

I've never seen Robocop 3. I've had the box set since it first came out on dvd but to this day i've only seen the first film.

Supernova isn't great i agree but at least it has Robin Tunney. One of those like the two Mars films that came out at the time - watchable but not one to own.
J Harker likes this.
Old 12th February 2017, 08:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've never seen Robocop 3. I've had the box set since it first came out on dvd but to this day i've only seen the first film.

Supernova isn't great i agree but at least it has Robin Tunney. One of those like the two Mars films that came out at the time - watchable but not one to own.
I highly recommend RoboCop 2 Dem. The third one is handy for a drinks coaster.
Old 12th February 2017, 08:36 PM
Cult Addict

Supernova is a total mess. You can tell it had multiple directors work on it.
Old 12th February 2017, 08:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Real Steel (2011)

Take elements of Rocky, Robot Wars, A.W.O.L.: Absent Without Leave, Robot Jox, throw in Hugh Jackman, and allow to simmer for two hours and you have Real Steel.

Mindless, escapist fun with wow factor and a heart. I loved it.
Yeah, i really enjoyed it too. Would make a great t.v series if they could afford the effects money.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th February 2017, 10:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Magnificent Seven (2016)

The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Since were talking a remake of a remake,its pretty hard to criticize on that score at least,and since this remake has very little to do with the film that starred Yul Brynner, Horst Buchholz, James Coburn, Steve McQueen and Robert Vaughn etc,then its more in the way of what kids call a re-imagining,which is I suppose the same as what John Sturges did with the Seven Samurai.The difference being that I cannot see this new version being repeated in forty years time and become all time classic,that the Sturges film became.The real main difference being is that the 1960 version had a pretty amazing cast of actors that portrayed a rather great bunch of anti heroes. Unfortunately although there is a fairly good cast of actors in Antoine Fuqua's film,including Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke none of them can hold a candle to the likes of Charles Bronson, Yul Brynner, Horst Buchholz, James Coburn and the great Steve McQueen. In the new film the story now takes place in the mining town of Rose Creek ,where Bartholomew Bogue (Peter Sarsgaard) and his bunch of gun totting henchmen,want to take over the town and the surrounding area for its lucrative mining. After a massacre at the church which left Emma Cullen (Haley Bennett) husband killed and half the towns folk slaughtered,she takes a bag full of money and rides out to hire some help.There is obviously some major plot changes here between this and the 1960 version,and I have to say not for the better. WAS it because they did not want to stereotype the Mexican community or did they just run out of those funny looking Mexican cowboy hats.Also they really push the ethnically diversity amongst the bunch,its almost like they had to fill a quota. In its favor the film does look good and is well directed by Antoine Fuqua,but the main problem definitely lies with the story and script,you really do not feel any sympathy at all for the towns folk, and even less for the seven,even if they are out numbered and out gunned. Casting wise while Denzel Washington who plays Sam Chisolm is ok,the only other character which had any real personality was Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Vasquez. At best the film is average at worst it has no real passion or spark,and certainly not as good as some recent modern westerns like 3:10 to Yuma (2007).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg magnificent-seven.jpg (97.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 13th February 2017, 12:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Nocturnal Animals (2016)

**** out of *****

Doctor Strange (2016)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 13th February 2017, 12:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

House at the End of the Street (2012)

Jennifer Lawrence stars in this story about a teen who falls in love with the boy next door. A boy who lives in a house where both his parents were killed by his little sister.

Lawrence is fine, as is Elizabeth Shue as her mother even if she's a tad under used, and Max Thieriot does a dry run for the damaged teen he perfected in Bates Motel.

House at the End of the Street is a watchable horror thriller which covers no new ground but is perfectly entertaining whilst you are sat there. There's certainly tension that escalates, however the more you question events the more you realise how absurd it all is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1cb27de788cf929e0d31c9f55eeab924.jpg (98.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 13th February 2017, 02:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've seen this, and until I read your post I'd forgotten Jennifer Lawrence was in it!
I do remember it being pretty unforgettable though
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th February 2017, 02:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've seen this, and until I read your post I'd forgotten Jennifer Lawrence was in it!
I do remember it being pretty unforgettable though
Pretty forgettable i'd say. An okay watch but nothing special.
Gold6082 and keirarts like this.
Old 13th February 2017, 02:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That's what I meant
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!