LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2017, 07:55 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Gave the new Ghostbusters a go last night. Im not normally one for giving up on films and I went in with low expectations, but it was just awful. Got halfway and I just couldn't stick it anymore. Truly terrible unfunny waste of time. And what the hell was Chris Hemsworth thinking.
I watched the extended version with mediocre expectations and struggled to make it to the end credits. I hated the overuse of IMAX and the frequently changing the aspect ratio became irritating, as did the CGI appearing over the letterboxing. There were a few funny moments/lines, a couple by Chris Hemsworth, but it felt about 30 minutes too long and with a 'scattergun' approach which could have done with being much more tightly scripted and directed.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 20th March 2017, 08:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Gave the new Ghostbusters a go last night. Im not normally one for giving up on films and I went in with low expectations, but it was just awful. Got halfway and I just couldn't stick it anymore. Truly terrible unfunny waste of time. And what the hell was Chris Hemsworth thinking.
Pretty much all modern "comedies" are like this, and it was entirely obvious from the trailer what it would be like.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:47 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Pretty much all modern "comedies" are like this, and it was entirely obvious from the trailer what it would be like.
As I said I went in with low expectations. The trailers looked poor to begin with. My missus picked it last night and I was vaguely intrigued. But I was surprised just how bad it was.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014)

The second in Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Sharknado series. This sees our heroes from the first film, Fin and April as played by Fassbinder faves Ian Ziering and Tara Reid on a plane to New York as a second sharknado hits, downing the plane and plunging New York into the midst of not one but two huge sharknado's.

As with the first film there are cameo's galore from the likes of Tiffany Shepis and Perez Hilton (Hanna Schyguller must have been busy this time) and OTT set pieces involving twisters, flying sharks, chainsaws and best of all Reid with an angle grinder in place of her bitten off hand slicing swooping sharks into sushi. Surprisingly Vivica A Fox steals the show with her sassy world saving finale, although Ziering riding a shark through the sky like the chariot race in Ben Hur runs it a close second.

Sharknado 2: The Second One is ridiculous fast moving gory fun which...

... you know. I'm starting to think this isn't actually a Fassbinder film after all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14femk248_sharknado2_288x43.jpg (51.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 20th March 2017, 10:38 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014)

The second in Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Sharknado series. This sees our heroes from the first film, Fin and April as played by Fassbinder faves Ian Ziering and Tara Reid on a plane to New York as a second sharknado hits, downing the plane and plunging New York into the midst of not one but two huge sharknado's.

As with the first film there are cameo's galore from the likes of Tiffany Shepis and Perez Hilton (Hanna Schyguller must have been busy this time) and OTT set pieces involving twisters, flying sharks, chainsaws and best of all Reid with an angle grinder in place of her bitten off hand slicing swooping sharks into sushi. Surprisingly Vivica A Fox steals the show with her sassy world saving finale, although Ziering riding a shark through the sky like the chariot race in Ben Hur runs it a close second.

Sharknado 2: The Second One is ridiculous fast moving gory fun which...

... you know. I'm starting to think this isn't actually a Fassbinder film after all.
3 is fun too but 4 is pretty crap.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
3 is fun too but 4 is pretty crap.
I haven't actually seen the first one yet.

This was a Poundland Halloween special.
keirarts likes this.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't actually seen the first one yet.

This was a Poundland Halloween special.
Pretty much like the second one but with different cameos!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:03 PM
Cult Addict

Pirhana 3DD. John Gulager. 2012.

Bonkers sequel to Alexandre Aja's remake of Joe Dantes 1978 creature feature, itself a rip off of Jaws.
A year after the events of the first film the prehistoric predators make there way to a newly opened water park.
Aiming for a more full on comedy approach than the first film I actually enjoyed this film more. It also ups the nudity quota big time which is going some when Aja's film was hardly shy.
The Hoff plays himself in a great cameo role and Ving Rhames reprises his part as a now wheelchair bound Deputy Falon who "ain't afraid of no punk ass water!!"
Old 20th March 2017, 11:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Pirhana 3DD. John Gulager. 2012.
Great choice, J. A fantastic film.
Old 20th March 2017, 11:23 PM
Cult Addict

Frailty. Bill Paxton. 2001.

Fenton Mieks walks into an fbi office one evening and announces to Agent Wesley Doyle that he is able to identify the Gods Hand Killer, a notorious serial killer.
He then proceeds to relay the story of his childhood revealing how his father played by director Paxton woke him and his brother up late one night to explain to them that they had received a mission from god. Apparently demons live among us, disguised as normal humans. God wants Dad Mieks and his boys to track down and slay said demons.
Bill Paxtons one and only directorial piece is a superb slice of American Gothic, set in and populated by a cast of native Texan actors. Including Matthew McConaughey, Paxton himself and Powers Boothe as Agent Doyle.
In places very dark and not without tinges of the blackest of black humour I love this film and it's a shame Bill Paxton didn't direct anything else because he clearly had as much talent behind a camera as in front.

Like this? Share it using the links below!