Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2017, 07:18 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Not sure about 'any good'... it's certainly very odd. A few months ago there was talk of a new release on Blu-ray, but nothing has transpired.
I can't imagine Arrow would see much market value in it.
I think Redemption still owns this one and there were murmurings of a US Blu-ray but we'll have to wait and see.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 14th February 2017, 09:09 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
The Awakening. Thought i'd seen this before. Turns out i've only ever seen the first hour - weird. Anyway, the delectable Rebecca Hall plays a debunker of mystics, mediums and fake bumpers in the night who is called to a boys boarding school by the rather curt Dominic West to investigate 'ghostly' goings on after the death of a student. Once she gets there, we meet the third wheel that keeps the movie going, the always dependable Imelda Staunton as Maude the matron of the school. Well, there's bebunking (hey, a boarding school joke. I'm here all night folks), followed by an 'Awakening' if you like and it's then that the picture really gets going. There are some nice chilly set-pieces involving a dolls-house that seems to move around the school depicting what is going on, went on, or what might have been going on, and a satisfactorily unsatisfactory ending that can certainly be taken in more than one way.

The three central performances are all excellent, but this is Hall's film for me. Mind you, i'd watch her reading the phone directory as the slightly altered saying goes.
That's two films in the same amount of days that we both rate, Deadite. (Real Steel being the other).

Be afraid ... be very afraid.
keirarts and Deadite like this.
Old 14th February 2017, 09:37 AM
Cult Veteran

The Brides of Dracula (1960)

Certainly the best film called The Brides of Dracula that features neither Dracula nor his Brides Joking aside, this is actually a pretty strong Gothic horror from Hammer. The current bluray discs are a cause of contention for some, Universal say that they have remastered in the 'original theatrical ratio' as was seen in cinemas stateside, however purists insist that the film was shot in 1.66:1 However, I think the framing is fine on the disc, nothing looks cramped and at this point only Terrence Fisher could say for sure which is right.

Tower of London (1962)

Richard III vs Macbeth vs The American Drive-in Movie. It's bonkers but fun. Vincent Price excels in a more serious role, less camp then usual and a whole lot more Shakespearean! That's not to say he doesn't add a few slices of ham because he definitely does! It was a first time viewing for me last night and it's now one of my favourite Corman/Price films.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th February 2017, 03:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

RESIDENT EVIL THE FINAL CHAPTER

Wow! This must be the loudest film I have ever seen. The sound system was ear piercing.
This is gonna get some panning from critics but I thought it was good.
The scenes of a devastated Washington and New York look nice and apocalyptic.
The action hardly lets up and the editing is pretty frantic. There are some good set pieces especially the tunnel turbine scene which has a great music score.
If this is really the end of this film series then in my opinion it goes out with a bang. A good one.
Old 14th February 2017, 04:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

RESIDENT EVIL THE FINAL CHAPTER

Wow! This must be the loudest film I have ever seen. The sound system was ear piercing.
This is gonna get some panning from critics but I thought it was good.
The scenes of a devastated Washington and New York look nice and apocalyptic.
The action hardly lets up and the editing is pretty frantic. There are some good set pieces especially the tunnel turbine scene which has a great music score.
If this is really the end of this film series then in my opinion it goes out with a bang. A good one.
the critics never seemed to like these movies.
Old 14th February 2017, 04:24 PM
Cult Veteran

Mark Kermode and Alan Jones thought it was OK actually.
keirarts likes this.

Old 14th February 2017, 04:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I pretty much like all of the ones i've seen, although i think that's just the first 3 and maybe the 4th? What's the one where she lands a plane on the roof of the building and they end up on the clone ship at the end?
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th February 2017, 04:53 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
I pretty much like all of the ones i've seen, although i think that's just the first 3 and maybe the 4th? What's the one where she lands a plane on the roof of the building and they end up on the clone ship at the end?
Yeah that's the 4th one, I thought that one was pretty terrible.

Old 14th February 2017, 05:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Agreed! It's the only one i didn't like.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 14th February 2017, 06:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's the weakest of the ones i've seen then. Although 2 is pretty shonky tbh, but i like it anyway.

Like this? Share it using the links below!