Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179682Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2017, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sicario worked in the 360.
I must say I've enjoyed all of Villeneuve's work so far.
A FBI agent enters the murky world of "the war on drugs"
Quite gripping in places.

Was also nice to see Tealeaf (Psychoville fans advance ) in this, even if his role doesn't add up to much ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th April 2017, 11:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Innkeepers (2011, Ti West)
Now apart from House Of The Devil, haven't been that enamoured with Mr W's work. But fair play I've just proverbially shit myself during this film. Without spoilering, twas the bit just before "Chapter 3" starts. Eeeeek etc. Am turning into an old softie it seems
Hopefully there will be more ... but am genuinely having a drink to calm my nerves.
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th April 2017, 06:19 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Now apart from House Of The Devil, haven't been that enamoured with Mr W's work. But fair play I've just proverbially shit myself during this film. Without spoilering, twas the bit just before "Chapter 3" starts. Eeeeek etc. Am turning into an old softie it seems
Hopefully there will be more ... but am genuinely having a drink to calm my nerves.
Ahem.
I thought this was boring, dreary, and a total non-event myself but different strokes and all that!
Old 19th April 2017, 09:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Under the Shadow. An Iranian made film set during the midst of the Iran-Iraq war of the 80's. Not quite sure what to make of this. It's certainly an assured and well made film, but apart from the diaphanous 'djinn' that becomes more and more corporeal during the film as the frazzled mum and her daughter try to cope with the missiles raining down in their neighborhood, there's not much new here.

In fact, i'll put in a big old spoiler here - this film has much in common with Cult Labs favourite film The Babadook, from the annoying kid (here slightly less annoying than the aforementioned brat) who gradually convinces their mother that the house houses a monster (here a djinn, or genie, if you prefer - the djinn in middle eastern lore is far from the wish-granting turban wearing gentlemen of hollywood films and more of a demon), and the mother gradually being accused of abuse, and being mentally unstable (true in the Babadook, here, untrue). However, this film packs far less of an emotional punch than the film that shares its structure and is ultimately not very satisfying. Most of the atmosphere is created by another common trick these days, having a soundtrack that is basically a low register synthesiser whining for ages or the wind blowing.

Not sure i'll watch again, but it's certainly worth 1 watch just to see someone getting attacked by a duvet. 2 1/2 out of 5.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:58 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Elsa Fräulein SS (1977)

To improve the morale of the German officers, a train with beautiful girls is arranged to entertain them when on leave. However there's a sting in the tail as all the girls rooms are tapped in a bid to root out high ranking SS officers plotting against the Fuhrer.

One of many SS girl films put out by Eurocine in the late 1970's on the cheap. Utilizing the same actors, sets, towns and even shots. Elsa Fräulein SS is exploitative but not as much as you'd hope. There's plenty of nudity and softcore sex but it's just not as sleazy as you may imagine despite the film starring the gorgeous duo of Malisa Longo as the sadistic Elsa and Patrizia Gori as the heroine of the piece.

Despite it being quite obviously a 'quickie', it's production values are high. The sets are nicely decorated and there's some decent use of army vehicles of the period (Which are also in the other five Eurocine Nazisploitation films shot at the same time), not to mention the train itself which is an ominous beast that you'd never confuse with the Hogwarts Express. The film also boasts one or two decent action set pieces, although they come over better in the other films especially the far superior Nathalie: Escape from Hell (1978)

This has just been released by Screenbound on one of their sub labels so potential purchasers might like to know that the Dutch print i watched is spotless and pristine so presumably Screenbound used the same film print making it a worthwhile purchase if you fancy this sort of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elsa_fraulein_ss-943042864-large.jpg (43.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 19th April 2017, 01:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I Drink Your Blood (1970)

The quintessential grindhouse film. Whether this is actually any good is a moot point. It's a film about satanic hippies who become rabid satanic hippies and go on a killing spree in a small hick town. Yes it's a bit rubbish but it also manages to be a lurid deranged masterpiece at the same time.

Deathdream aka Dead of Night (1972)

Bob Clark's film about a soldier who comes home to his family from Vietnam and is actually dead is a slowburning and thoroughly gripping affair. Whether seen as an allegory about the Vietnam war or as purely entertainment, this alternative zombie film is more Romero's Martyn in style and scope than it is any typical zombie gut muncher. Excellent!

The Pact (2012)

Watched purely for the lovely Caity Lotz, this ghost story ended up quite an effective little chiller that eschews the typical bang crash jump scares for a more subtle approach. Helped rather than hindered by it's low budget, this really wasn't too bad at all.
I loved Deathdream, would make a great Arrow release beside Deranged, though may eventually end up getting the German Blu-ray.
Old 19th April 2017, 01:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buboven View Post
I loved Deathdream, would make a great Arrow release beside Deranged, though may eventually end up getting the German Blu-ray.
Screw Arrow, it'd make a nice Nucleus bluray.
Rik, Buboven and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 19th April 2017, 02:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Screw Arrow, it'd make a nice Nucleus bluray.

Their Indiegogo campaign was a great success, so hopefully that will encourage them to release more, I'd back a release of Deathdream/Dead of Night
Demoncrat likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th April 2017, 05:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Ahem.
Well ... it did sort of descend into crap
Ho hum.

Now watching The Delta Force.
A fun little piece of propaganda disguised as a disaster movie

[B]
Old 19th April 2017, 05:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Under the Shadow. An Iranian made film set during the midst of the Iran-Iraq war of the 80's. Not quite sure what to make of this. It's certainly an assured and well made film, but apart from the diaphanous 'djinn' that becomes more and more corporeal during the film as the frazzled mum and her daughter try to cope with the missiles raining down in their neighborhood, there's not much new here.

In fact, i'll put in a big old spoiler here - this film has much in common with Cult Labs favourite film The Babadook, from the annoying kid (here slightly less annoying than the aforementioned brat) who gradually convinces their mother that the house houses a monster (here a djinn, or genie, if you prefer - the djinn in middle eastern lore is far from the wish-granting turban wearing gentlemen of hollywood films and more of a demon), and the mother gradually being accused of abuse, and being mentally unstable (true in the Babadook, here, untrue). However, this film packs far less of an emotional punch than the film that shares its structure and is ultimately not very satisfying. Most of the atmosphere is created by another common trick these days, having a soundtrack that is basically a low register synthesiser whining for ages or the wind blowing.

Not sure i'll watch again, but it's certainly worth 1 watch just to see someone getting attacked by a duvet. 2 1/2 out of 5.
Well it's nothing like TB imho. Wait til they remake it with Naomi Watts Can't agree about the paucity of emotion either. She's trapped in a war zone. No one listens to her. Threatened by authority. And aw the bairn cares about is her dolly. Lawdy etc. Ahem and breathe ...

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!