LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th April 2017, 06:24 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Under the Shadow. An Iranian made film set during the midst of the Iran-Iraq war of the 80's. Not quite sure what to make of this. It's certainly an assured and well made film, but apart from the diaphanous 'djinn' that becomes more and more corporeal during the film as the frazzled mum and her daughter try to cope with the missiles raining down in their neighborhood, there's not much new here.

In fact, i'll put in a big old spoiler here - this film has much in common with Cult Labs favourite film The Babadook, from the annoying kid (here slightly less annoying than the aforementioned brat) who gradually convinces their mother that the house houses a monster (here a djinn, or genie, if you prefer - the djinn in middle eastern lore is far from the wish-granting turban wearing gentlemen of hollywood films and more of a demon), and the mother gradually being accused of abuse, and being mentally unstable (true in the Babadook, here, untrue). However, this film packs far less of an emotional punch than the film that shares its structure and is ultimately not very satisfying. Most of the atmosphere is created by another common trick these days, having a soundtrack that is basically a low register synthesiser whining for ages or the wind blowing.

Not sure i'll watch again, but it's certainly worth 1 watch just to see someone getting attacked by a duvet. 2 1/2 out of 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Well it's nothing like TB imho. Wait til they remake it with Naomi Watts Can't agree about the paucity of emotion either. She's trapped in a war zone. No one listens to her. Threatened by authority. And aw the bairn cares about is her dolly. Lawdy etc. Ahem and breathe ...
I loved it, finding the entire experience to be gripping, occasionally terrifying, and emotionally exhausting. The setting was key, but I imagine it could be transplanted to a different war zone in a different culture and the themes and relationships might work. However, the performances by the two main actors, and the taut direction will probably mean that any attempt to remake it will result in an inferior product.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 19th April 2017, 07:00 PM
Cult Veteran

I watched Kill Baby, Kill yesterday because of our Top 10 Tuesdays subject of the week. Since I've never read a synopsis of the film before, it wasn't what I was expecting at all - I wasn't expecting it to be a Gothic with a title like that, it sounds like a Giallo for sure. Well even caught off guard I really enjoyed myself, it's beautifully shot and clearly a huge influence on Argento's work, particularly Suspiria and Inferno. The story was well executed too, keeping the reveal of 'Melissa' quite late and giving you quite a surprise, she (i believe the actor was actually a boy) is definitely one who I would have featured in my creepy kids top 10 a few months back!

So there you have it, a little telling off from Demdike yesterday for not knowing more Bava films has resulted in my finding a film I really enjoyed and is now at #3 in my Bava chart - still The Girl Who Knew Too Much and Blood and Black Lace ahead of it though.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th April 2017, 07:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I loved it, finding the entire experience to be gripping, occasionally terrifying, and emotionally exhausting. The setting was key, but I imagine it could be transplanted to a different war zone in a different culture and the themes and relationships might work. However, the performances by the two main actors, and the taut direction will probably mean that any attempt to remake it will result in an inferior product.
I thought it was mediocre. Worth the money i paid for it, but not a penny more.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th April 2017, 07:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watched Kill Baby, Kill yesterday because of our Top 10 Tuesdays subject of the week. Since I've never read a synopsis of the film before, it wasn't what I was expecting at all - I wasn't expecting it to be a Gothic with a title like that, it sounds like a Giallo for sure. Well even caught off guard I really enjoyed myself, it's beautifully shot and clearly a huge influence on Argento's work, particularly Suspiria and Inferno. The story was well executed too, keeping the reveal of 'Melissa' quite late and giving you quite a surprise, she (i believe the actor was actually a boy) is definitely one who I would have featured in my creepy kids top 10 a few months back!

So there you have it, a little telling off from Demdike yesterday for not knowing more Bava films has resulted in my finding a film I really enjoyed and is now at #3 in my Bava chart - still The Girl Who Knew Too Much and Blood and Black Lace ahead of it though.
...It's all about the atmosphere he can create. Unsurpassed even yet when he's firing on all cylinders
Justin101 and keirarts like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th April 2017, 07:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

So there you have it, a little telling off from Demdike yesterday for not knowing more Bava films has resulted in my finding a film I really enjoyed and is now at #3 in my Bava chart.
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 19th April 2017, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lawdy
The routines people put down ..

AAAnyway!
Watching Shout At The Devil (1976)
It was in with the pile of Norris. Trimmed aye? UK VHS. It looks trimmed
Ahem. Loony, racist as hell and I keep hallucinating about a Franco version and it's aw Barbara Parkin's fault Minx!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th April 2017, 10:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Frank & Lola (2016)

A pretty good psycho-sexual neo-noir.

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 19th April 2017 at 10:13 PM.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Frank & Lola (2016)

A pretty good psycho sexual neo-noir.

*** out of *****

That's on my list. Intriguing pairing etc. Noted!!
keirarts and Cinematic Shocks like this.

[B]
Old 19th April 2017, 10:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Intriguing pairing etc.
Excellent performances. They have great chemistry.
Justin101, Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 19th April 2017, 10:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinematic Shocks View Post
Excellent performances. They have great chemistry.
Duly noted then C.
I always take note.
For Xmas
Something ...longer?
keirarts and Cinematic Shocks like this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!