Old 10th June 2017, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. 2016

the lovely Cobie Smolders
Smulders actually but smolders fits her well.
keirarts and J Harker like this.
Old 10th June 2017, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Just watched T2.

Very good,but very serious in comparison with the first!

My,my how we've all gotten older eh?

I too felt older with the cast and characters.....I was only 24 when I saw the original!

Choose Life....it goes in too fast!

I seriously thought you were talking about Terminator 2 until I got to the last sentence. I was wondering what you were going on about lol...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th June 2017, 10:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Sleep Tight (2011)

Spanish star Luis Tosar plays a concierge in a Spanish apartment block who feels he can never be happy. Dignified in his work but seemingly on a course of self destruction as he plots to make the lives of the tenants miserable, especially the lovely Clara.

The film veers into a twisted psychopathic world as Tosar breaks into Clara's apartment hides under her bed at night, waits until she's asleep before chloroforming her and....

Sadly director Jaume Balagueró in a way lets the side down by erring on the side of caution. The whole idea is far creepier and scarier than what actually plays out on screen. It certainly starts with us feeling uncomfortable watching this sleazy invasion of privacy but rather than going all out twisted horror Sleep Tight becomes more of a Hitchcockian chiller as other characters are introduced.

Having said that Sleep Tight is still an excellent film, it's brilliantly paced with tour-de-force performances and an ending which is highly unsatisfactory if you are looking for sweetness and light.
Saw this at Frightfest many years ago and was one of my very favourites of the festival, extremely well done
Old 10th June 2017, 11:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Belko Experiment (2016)

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 11th June 2017, 12:31 AM
Ex-member

I enjoy seeing Gere taking some really diverse roles, he is really good here, and the story if predictable is good but its just not enough for anything really solid overall. 6/10

Fairly effective. Good story and performances. No real surprises though. 7/10

Really enjoy watching this movie always through the years until the ending. Nearly ruins the whole experience for me. I wish Crenna had done more roles like this as he is effective here as he was in Ghost Ship. He really would have found a very comfortable yet prolific niche in horror. 7.5/10
Old 11th June 2017, 04:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I know its considered a classic but I found it to be overly long and on the whole unfunny apart from a few scene's. But reading online this film has aged the worst of all the movies and the others are a lot better, but as I didn't really enjoy this I don't know if I will like the others. 5/10
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th June 2017, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Round up time.

Santa Fe (1951)

A thoroughly enjoyable western starring the venerable Randolph Scott about the laying of the Santa Fe railroad through Kansas and into New Mexico. Nicely plotted with both major and local problems for Scott to deal with including rival railroad companies and his three brothers who keep robbing his paymasters. It digs a bit deeper into the outcome of the Civil War and the tensions which ensue even after guns were laid down than the majority of westerns do. Lively, pacy and well acted. Santa Fe is a recommended western.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)

As with the first film i haven't read any of Lee Childs Jack Reacher stories so neither know nor care if Tom Cruise is the epitome of Reacher. What i do know is just like the 2012 film Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is a rollicking action thriller with breathless set pieces and in my opinion a terrific lead star. Not many people make films like this anymore so i for one am grateful to the likes of Cruise and Vin Diesel for still producing escapist action movies.

Clown (2014)

An interesting idea - a clown costume is actually the skin of an ancient demon and becomes part of it's wearer as he slowly takes the shape of the demon once more - it has echoes of Krampus and is only partially successful. More character study than horror film which is a pity as it could have been an outstanding slasher film. The clown costume and make up as our poor clown unravels is very good but in truth this isn't a patch on Ross Noble's Stitches (2012) in the clown horror movie stakes

Confessions of a Pop Performer (1975)

Robin Askwith gets up to more saucy shenanigans in this 70's sex comedy. Supported by the likes of Tony Booth, Doris Hare, Bill Maynard, Carol Hawkins and Jill Gascoine (who certainly shows she has a gentle touch) Confessions of a Pop Performer is of it's time but proves a bit of escapist fun. Think Carry On! with smuttier jokes, tons of nudity and naturally Askwith's arse and you'll get the picture.

Beach Babes 2: Cave Girl Island (1995)

Wow! This was bad. Whereas the first Beach Babes film was a bit of fun with a semi-decent story, this is plotless, lifeless, rubbish. In this a trio of sexy alien girls land on earth during the stone age and... well it's just an excuse for a series of overlong softcore sex scenes. Stupidly i watched the uncut version. Next time, if indeed there is a next time i'll definitely opt for the cut version in the hope some of the unsexy sex is heavily trimmed. Total garbage which barely deserves a star rating.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 11th June 2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11th June 2017, 05:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
m
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)
As with the first film i haven't read any of Lee Childs Jack Reacher stories so neither know nor care if Tom Cruise is the epitome of Reacher. What i do know is just like the 2012 film Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is a rollicking action thriller with breathless set pieces and in my opinion a terrific lead star. Not many people make films like this anymore so i for one am grateful to the likes of Cruise and Vin Diesel for still producing escapist action movies.

Clown (2014)

An interesting idea - a clown costume is actually the skin of an ancient demon and becomes part of it's wearer as he slowly takes the shape of the demon once more - it has echoes of Krampus and is only partially successful. More character study than horror film which is a pity as it could have been an outstanding slasher film. The clown costume and make up as our poor clown unravels is very good but in truth this isn't a patch on Ross Noble's Stitches (2012) in the clown horror movie stakes touch)
Thought you'd enjoy Reacher, seems a no brainer if you liked the first.
Surprised on Clown though Dem. I'll have to try Stitches again, i turned it off after ten mins as it seemed slightly very shit.
Old 11th June 2017, 05:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Thought you'd enjoy Reacher, seems a no brainer if you liked the first.
Surprised on Clown though Dem. I'll have to try Stitches again, i turned it off after ten mins as it seemed slightly very shit.
The way my system works is thus.

Five stars is for exceptional films only. Four for very good ones. Three for good ones, two for average ones, films i might get rid of but most likely keep hold of, and one star for drek.

So there's every chance i'll keep hold of Clown and give it another go.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th June 2017, 06:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I also watched Clown recently and didn't think it was as good as Stitches.

Like this? Share it using the links below!