All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2017, 04:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

La Strega in Amore (1966)

Titled The Witch in the US, Damiano Damiani's film is an intriguing piece of celluloid which tells the story of Richard Johnson's historian who is asked by an old woman to move into her mansion and catalogue a vast library of erotica. Once there he discovers Rosanna Schiaffino, a beautiful yet very strange young woman and Gian Maria Volontè, a man who appears to be the womans play thing.

This is quite a weird and wonderful film, reminiscent of later Bava efforts like Baron Blood and Lisa and the Devil in the way horror is combined with romance and death. Although the narrative is quite confusing, it's linear but asks many questions all of which are answered during the finale. However the whole plot is really spoiled by the films translated title of The Witch in Love, meaning you can constantly guess the hows and whys (mostly) of what is developing on screen. Still it's a pretty good effort and quite eerie and erotically hypnotic in it's overall effect.
Old 2nd August 2017, 04:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
La Strega in Amore (1966)

Titled The Witch in the US, Damiano Damiani's film is an intriguing piece of celluloid which tells the story of Richard Johnson's historian who is asked by an old woman to move into her mansion and catalogue a vast library of erotica. Once there he discovers Rosanna Schiaffino, a beautiful yet very strange young woman and Gian Maria Volontè, a man who appears to be the womans play thing.

This is quite a weird and wonderful film, reminiscent of later Bava efforts like Baron Blood and Lisa and the Devil in the way horror is combined with romance and death. Although the narrative is quite confusing, it's linear but asks many questions all of which are answered during the finale. However the whole plot is really spoiled by the films translated title of The Witch in Love, meaning you can constantly guess the hows and whys (mostly) of what is developing on screen. Still it's a pretty good effort and quite eerie and erotically hypnotic in it's overall effect.
Didn't Pasolini work on this as well?

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 2nd August 2017, 04:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Didn't Pasolini work on this as well?

Not as far as i'm aware.
Old 2nd August 2017, 04:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not as far as i'm aware.
Just double checked; I was thinking of a film called the witches which pasolini worked on. Oops

Old 2nd August 2017, 06:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rookie FBI agent Johnny Utah ( Keanu Reeves) goes undercover as a surfer to find a group of bank robbers called the dead Presidents who his partner ( crazy Gary Busey). Along the way he finds love, becomes friends with a group of surfers who turn out to be the ones he is looking for and shoots his gun into the air.8.5/10

Forgotten just how funny and brilliant this film is. Two friends on there way to collage are mistakenly arrested for murder. One of the friends has his mother get his cousin Vinny to defend him and this is were the fun starts not only are Vinny and his girlfriend ( Marisa Tomei) out of place , Vinny took many attempts to pass the bar and looks like he will do more harm than good to the boys case. But once he gets going hes actually pretty good and we have some of the funniest moments of the film when he is cross examining the witnesses. Tomei is also good in her role and the banter between her and Vinny is very funny, but I don't think it was worthy of an Oscar, but I also can't remember what else was up for best supporting actress that year so maybe she was. 9/10

Now watching the craft.
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Singing Detective (2003, Keith Gordon)
Keith Gordon made a great film.
It's called Static.

Chap in hospital hallucinates the staff singing Rock n Roll numbers. A travesty. Would that I had chosen Airport
At least that's got a plot ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:37 PM
Cult Addict

I really liked Static when i saw it years ago on TV, but the only available version is apparently vhs quality i think.
I really like the original Singing Detective Tv series too.
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I really liked Static when i saw it years ago on TV, but the only available version is apparently vhs quality i think.
I really like the original Singing Detective Tv series too.
Re: Singing Detective with Gambon. I love it too. Why I give these things creedence is sometimes beyond me.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

7/10

Now watching first part of the greatest trilogy ever made!

Old 3rd August 2017, 02:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

devil-bats-daughter-rosemary-la-everett.jpg
DEVIL BAT'S DAUGHTER (PRC 1946)

The daughter of Dr Paul Carruthers has dreams and hallucinations about giant bats. When found at the scene of a death and no memory of how she got there, she believes she has inherited the madness of her father..the Devil Bat!

Sequel to the PRC release THE DEVIL BAT (1940) starring Bela Lugosi.
Some hazy dream scenes from the original film are the only horror on show here. It's really quite slow moving and you know from the start that she is being played, rather like SHE WOLF OF LONDON. The final scenes in which the papers of Paul Carruthers are found and that Paul is innocent of the murders in the original film make no sense at all

Like this? Share it using the links below!