Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2017, 09:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Popcorn. An elaborate student-organized horror movie marathon night at a local cinema proves the perfect stalking ground for a madman out for revenge in this early 90s tongue in cheek horror flick that essentially serves up a post-modern slasher parody five years before Scream. Not that it's as good as that, mind, but it's an entertaining and good natured flick starring late 80s/early 90s Scream Queen Jill Schoelen.
Old 5th September 2017, 09:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Popcorn. An elaborate student-organized horror movie marathon night at a local cinema proves the perfect stalking ground for a madman out for revenge in this early 90s tongue in cheek horror flick that essentially serves up a post-modern slasher parody five years before Scream. Not that it's as good as that, mind, but it's an entertaining and good natured flick starring late 80s/early 90s Scream Queen Jill Schoelen.
Which release do you have ian and is it decent quality?
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th September 2017, 09:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

The YouTube one.

It was less s**t than the old DVD, actually. The Blu rays are absurdly expensive. The film is fun and I'd happily get it but not for that price...
Old 5th September 2017, 09:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The YouTube one.

It was less s**t than the old DVD, actually. The Blu rays are absurdly expensive. The film is fun and I'd happily get it but not for that price...
Ha,ha. Fair enough.
iank likes this.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:13 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Mummy. The 2017 version, where Tom Cruise battles an undead woman with nasty powers who wants to... I don't know, cause general chaos. Or something. Really, who the hell cares? This got massively panned and while I kind of wanted to like it as I don't mind Cruise and I sometimes have a tendency to wildly disagree with some whiny critics on some films (T5 and the recent The Circle being prime examples), I thought this deserved a drubbing and then some. Lifeless, lazy runaround CGI boreathon. In the immortal words of Monty Python, it's a piece of s***, when you look at it.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:20 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE EVIL WITHIN – This curious labour of love is bound to attract attention on lots of levels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was reading about this on SGM yesterday. It's now in my wishlist as you and them think the same, Frankie.
They talked about this on the Arrow podcast a couple of weeks ago as well, the Donnie Darko episode, so I'm quite curious about it too. They did mention it was a bit stilted and in some places badly directed and acted but those traits actually work in its favour. I've added it to my rent list as it seems like a love or hate kind of film, I want to just test the waters before jumping in

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th September 2017, 09:22 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A couple of new films which I watched on Amazon Video last night:

John Wick: Chapter 2
The sequel to arguably the most violent film of 2014 is probably the most violent film of 2017 which begins with the titular character wanting to retrieve his car and doing so with extreme prejudice. The film contains some amazing action set pieces, some of them quite wince inducing because of the sheer physicality, using guns, fests and, in the case of the opening sequence, vehicles. It is also an extraordinary audiovisual experience and one which I look forward to watching (and hearing) in UHD in the not too distant future.

The Lego Batman Movie
Not quite a sequel, more a companion to the gloriously innovative The Lego Movie, with the Will Arnett-voiced superhero – perhaps the highlight of that film – being told to grow up by Alfred and stop dwelling on his past. This is well aware of the cinematic heritage and its main character, mentioning events in the Christopher Nolan films as well as referring to the slightly weird/dated movies with Adam West as the (not very dark) central character design which appears to link to Suicide Squad. There are so many jokes and funny throwaway lines that I really need to watch it again and the voice casting is spot-on, from Arnett in the main role to Michael Cera as Dick Grayson/Robin, Zach Galifianakis as Joker, the villain desperate to be Batman's arch villain, Ralph Fiennes as Alfred and, in an inspired move, Siri voicing Bruce Wayne/Batman's computer and being credited as such.

This is something which will probably appeal to several different generations and will have different meanings to those with different knowledge bases of Batman films and TV shows, such is the level of loving homage in the writing, so whether you liked The Lego Movie or not, there should be much to enjoy here for Batman fans.
Old 6th September 2017, 12:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
John Wick: Chapter 2
The sequel to arguably the most violent film of 2014 is probably the most violent film of 2017 which begins with the titular character wanting to retrieve his car and doing so with extreme prejudice. The film contains some amazing action set pieces, some of them quite wince inducing because of the sheer physicality, using guns, fests and, in the case of the opening sequence, vehicles. It is also an extraordinary audiovisual experience and one which I look forward to watching (and hearing) in UHD in the not too distant future.
The dvd and blu-ray are apparently trimmed for a lesser 15 rating. But the UHD version is the full uncut version. I think it's a suicide scene which caused consternation for the BBFC (I haven't seen the film).
Old 6th September 2017, 12:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
The dvd and blu-ray are apparently trimmed for a lesser 15 rating. But the UHD version is the full uncut version. I think it's a suicide scene which caused consternation for the BBFC (I haven't seen the film).
There is a suicide scene in the version I streamed from Amazon last night, but don't know whether that is different from the version(s) on physical media. When I buy it, it will be on UHD but, if that report – I'm guessing it is http://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=12052 – is true, it is disappointing that those who are buying DVDs and BDs are not getting the complete film.
Old 6th September 2017, 12:53 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
There is a suicide scene in the version I streamed from Amazon last night, but don't know whether that is different from the version(s) on physical media. When I buy it, it will be on UHD but, if that report – I'm guessing it is John Wick: Chapter 2 - BD/DVD Censored in the UK - Some Releases Contain the Censored UK Version - Movie-Censorship.com – is true, it is disappointing that those who are buying DVDs and BDs are not getting the complete film.
They've been doing this kind of nonsense for a few years now with BD getting the extended or uncut versions and DVD getting a '15' version. So it makes sense that they're going to try it on with UHD now as well, forcing the new format on people.
SymbioticFunction likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!