Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th September 2017, 12:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE EVIL WITHIN – This curious labour of love is bound to attract attention on lots of levels, not least because of its weird and ultimately tragic production history – it was the vanity project of heir Andrew Getty, who worked on it for years before dying of complications secondary to his meth addiction. As for the film, it's pretty f*cked up. I groaned slightly at the beginning as it launched into some badly done dream sequences, but, after a shaky start, 'The Evil Within' soon takes shape as a compellingly twisted riff on sibling rivalry. It's basically about Dennis, a learning disabled man who lives in the shadow of his carer, his brother. This involves its own tensions and dark secrets, but what propels the story into horror territory is the arrival of a sinister mirror haunted by none other than creepy Michael Berryman, here done up like a ghoul in a bad dream, which is essentially what he is. The transaction is a little confusing, but Berryman seems to possess Dennis's reflection and uses it to persuade him to start killing – first animals, then kids, then friends of the family. Finally, Dennis closes in on his brother. 'The Evil Within' is really quite odd and disjointed. Partly this is due to the fact that the final cut was put together after the director's death, so in essence it's an edit based on what footage was available. But tonally it varies a lot as we switch between Dennis's messed up monologues and the more anodyne, slightly soap-opera-ey reality of his brother's relationship difficulties, and then there's the whole nightmare / dream element that comes and goes, typically in the form of bad CGI giant spiders. The film has a fairly consistent atmospheric look, however. More than anything, taken on one level it's a total exercise in bad taste – it truly is a latter day exploitation film, deriving its impact from a not very thoughtful and quite leering depiction of disability. Make of that what you will, but horror consumption has much to do with the allure of the indefensible blah blah blah, and this film's decidedly nasty undercurrent marks it out from the generic crud we're so adapted to these days. Kudos to TV reliable Frederick Koehler for delivering a mesmerising performance as Dennis, the film is basically his, and 'The Evil Within' could've fallen flat without the gurning intensity he conjures. All in all, 'The Evil Within' is highly recommended for those who go for the freakish over the generic. I'm not sure how 'good' of a movie it is in 'objective terms', but it's definitely one of this year's strange highlights.
Old 5th September 2017, 12:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE EVIL WITHIN
I was reading about this on SGM yesterday. It's now in my wishlist as you and them think the same, Frankie.

SGM Frame
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 5th September 2017, 01:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's a decent film, not sure if I posted about it, but I know Keir did because he was the one that put me onto it
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 5th September 2017, 01:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
Prequel to the game, the film is set in the moments leading up to the events of the game itself.
The story centers around the Kingsglaive; a special unit set up by King Regis for Spec Ops, after a botched mission against the Niflheim Empire, many members are given separate tasks with the announcement of a peace treaty between Lucis and the empire, however the empire betrays the kingdom and invades, crippling the defences.
This is a great animated film, which unfortunately has some flaws with it. If you are playing FFXV, then you'll be fine: It makes sense. However if you stumble upon it and are not a fan of the game (or even playing it) then there will be issues with the plot in a contextual sense.
For fans of the game more than anybody else.
8/10
Picked this up upon release but ended up selling it off in a collection purge. The animation was stunning (there's one shot of a hand holding a watch-like device which seriously looks like live-action) but I wasn't too impressed with the story. The only Final Fantasy film (out of three) that I have kept is Advent Children, which totally blew me away upon initial dvd viewing and also, on subsequent remastered blu-ray revisits.

Edit: Have never played a single Final Fantasy game in my life!
Old 5th September 2017, 01:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
there's one shot of a hand holding a watch-like device which seriously looks like live-action
Was reading a review and actually saw a screenshot of that, check out this animation:

Blu-ray.com - Screenshot
Justin101 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 5th September 2017, 02:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Tobe hooper Death trap .

While never be as classic as TCM or some of his other films, its a bit week in comparison but still a reasonable watch ..
Think this is better than TCM 2 myself.
Old 5th September 2017, 02:08 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Was reading a review and actually saw a screenshot of that, check out this animation:

Blu-ray.com - Screenshot
Square Enix animation has gone insanely good over the last couple of years, the in-game cut scenes look like that on actual the game as well. It's just a shame that the story quality has declined so severely.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th September 2017, 04:16 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Picked this up upon release but ended up selling it off in a collection purge. The animation was stunning (there's one shot of a hand holding a watch-like device which seriously looks like live-action) but I wasn't too impressed with the story. The only Final Fantasy film (out of three) that I have kept is Advent Children, which totally blew me away upon initial dvd viewing and also, on subsequent remastered blu-ray revisits.

Edit: Have never played a single Final Fantasy game in my life!
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

They are great games, highly recommend them

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 5th September 2017, 04:27 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

They are great games, highly recommend them

Except XV and the XIII sequels lol

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th September 2017, 04:30 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Except XV and the XIII sequels lol
Agree with XIII, I really like XV, especially considering that a good portion of the expansions are more than likely going to be free.
But this is a film section. So let's not get ganked by mods

Like this? Share it using the links below!