Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179653Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2017, 12:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm actually going to go watch Atomic Blonde tomorrow.
Old 31st December 2017, 01:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
I'm actually going to go watch Atomic Blonde tomorrow.
It's perfectly watchable. It's certainly better than something like suicide squad. It just feels like a bunch of cool ideas thrown together without regard as to whether it works as a film.
MacBlayne and trebor8273 like this.
Old 31st December 2017, 01:36 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I watched a Sergio Corbucci double bill last night, courtesy of 88 Films' Italian Collection.

THE MERCENARY stars Franco Nero as The Polak, the titular hired gun who becomes involved in the Mexican revolution by agreeing to help Paco Roman (Tony Musante). He hasn't banked on Curly (Jack Palance), a greedy sadist, who incurs the wrath of the Polak and is punished by being sent out to walk naked into the desert, presumably to his death. I am so pleased this has been released because the dynamics between the three men, plus the beautiful Giovanna Ralli, playing Paco's love interest is really interesting, the dialogue is funny and engaging, and the action sequences are superbly choreographed. Adding to the overall package is the superb cinematography and a wonderfully layered and very catchy score by Ennio Morricone and Bruno Nicolai.

Released two years earlier, NAVAJO JOE has Burt Reynolds in the lead role, basically with a 'primitive' haircut and a reddish die on his skin to make him look like a Native American, something which would never happen now and just 'feels' wrong. Putting that to one side, the film is a wonderfully engaging and violent tale of revenge, beginning with a raid on a Native American camp and a woman being scalped. Of course, this is going to come back to haunt the antagonist, as Joe wants to avenge the murder of his wife and friends, so he seizes the opportunity to work on behalf of a put upon town (it's like a one-man Magnificent Seven in that respect) and take out the marauding gang of murdering sadists.

Based on these two films alone (I own and have seen others), is clear why Sergio Corbucci has such a great reputation and why the music from both films has been used by Quentin Tarantino, plus Franco Nero being employed by Tarantino in a cameo role in Django Unchained. Wash the Corbucci films I have seen, I don't think I've seen The Great Silence, widely regarded as his masterpiece and released the same year as The Mercenary. I have no idea what the rights situation is with that film, but I do think it's been released in the UK in HD and seems like a logical step for 88 Films to add to their Italian Collection. I'm aware of its reputation, and for it to be Corbucci's best it has to have to be something special to be better than these two, particularly The Mercenary, which I thought was the stronger of the two with more expansive action sequences and character development.
Old 31st December 2017, 01:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
It's perfectly watchable. It's certainly better than something like suicide squad. It just feels like a bunch of cool ideas thrown together without regard as to whether it works as a film.
It's from the John Wick guys, so that's a plus for me. And I'm a sucker for action and stylish photography.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 31st December 2017, 01:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I thought Atomic Blonde was significantly better than Suicide Squad and is more than watchable. For me, one of the biggest failings was the flashback structure, meaning there is no point in which Charlize Theron's character is at risk of dying and depriving the most intense action sequences of an important level of suspense and engagement!
Old 31st December 2017, 01:40 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I watched a Sergio Corbucci double bill last night, courtesy of 88 Films' Italian Collection.

THE MERCENARY stars Franco Nero as The Polak, the titular hired gun who becomes involved in the Mexican revolution by agreeing to help Paco Roman (Tony Musante). He hasn't banked on Curly (Jack Palance), a greedy sadist, who incurs the wrath of the Polak and is punished by being sent out to walk naked into the desert, presumably to his death. I am so pleased this has been released because the dynamics between the three men, plus the beautiful Giovanna Ralli, playing Paco's love interest is really interesting, the dialogue is funny and engaging, and the action sequences are superbly choreographed. Adding to the overall package is the superb cinematography and a wonderfully layered and very catchy score by Ennio Morricone and Bruno Nicolai.

Released two years earlier, NAVAJO JOE has Burt Reynolds in the lead role, basically with a 'primitive' haircut and a reddish die on his skin to make him look like a Native American, something which would never happen now and just 'feels' wrong. Putting that to one side, the film is a wonderfully engaging and violent tale of revenge, beginning with a raid on a Native American camp and a woman being scalped. Of course, this is going to come back to haunt the antagonist, as Joe wants to avenge the murder of his wife and friends, so he seizes the opportunity to work on behalf of a put upon town (it's like a one-man Magnificent Seven in that respect) and take out the marauding gang of murdering sadists.

Based on these two films alone (I own and have seen others), is clear why Sergio Corbucci has such a great reputation and why the music from both films has been used by Quentin Tarantino, plus Franco Nero being employed by Tarantino in a cameo role in Django Unchained. Wash the Corbucci films I have seen, I don't think I've seen The Great Silence, widely regarded as his masterpiece and released the same year as The Mercenary. I have no idea what the rights situation is with that film, but I do think it's been released in the UK in HD and seems like a logical step for 88 Films to add to their Italian Collection. I'm aware of its reputation, and for it to be Corbucci's best it has to have to be something special to be better than these two, particularly The Mercenary, which I thought was the stronger of the two with more expansive action sequences and character development.
There's supposedly a Blu ray of the great silence coming this year. It's already available on DVad. I think it's his masterpiece. Possibly one of the most pessimistic, bleak and nihilistic westerns ever made.
Old 31st December 2017, 01:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I thought Atomic Blonde was significantly better than Suicide Squad and is more than watchable. For me, one of the biggest failings was the flashback structure, meaning there is no point in which Charlize Theron's character is at risk of dying and depriving the most intense action sequences of an important level of suspense and engagement!
It's better edited than suicide squad.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 31st December 2017, 01:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
It's from the John Wick guys, so that's a plus for me. And I'm a sucker for action and stylish photography.
Their involvement is evident in the action sequences, but it's not as engaging as either of the John Wick films as they are much more stripped down action thrillers without any of the political baggage which is probably meant to add an extra level of danger to some of the situations in Atomic Blonde, but ends up making it a second-tier Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy-type Cold War thriller.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 31st December 2017, 01:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There's supposedly a Blu ray of the great silence coming this year. It's already available on DVad. I think it's his masterpiece. Possibly one of the most pessimistic, bleak and nihilistic westerns ever made.
That's great to hear. Watching those two Corbucci westerns last night has really piqued my interest and made it something I'm very, very keen to watch.

Quote:
It's better edited than suicide squad.
I can't remember much about Suicide Squad, only that the best character (The Joker) was underused and it generally felt like a bit of a mess.
keirarts likes this.
Old 31st December 2017, 01:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
That's great to hear. Watching those two Corbucci westerns last night has really piqued my interest and made it something I'm very, very keen to watch.

I can't remember much about Suicide Squad, only that the best character (The Joker) was underused and it generally felt like a bit of a mess.
I haven't seen Suicide Squad as it doesn't appeal to me, but this video was very informative.

keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!