All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2018, 09:23 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Flicking through netflicks what to watch and couldnt help when saw this ,
Great they just gave the ending away or if he doesn't die then isn't it false advertising .

Anyway watched john wick 2 , enjoyable and entertain action film , nothing spectacular but entertaining none the less .
That film is awesome

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 28th January 2018, 12:37 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Flicking through netflicks what to watch and couldnt help when saw this ,
Great they just gave the ending away or if he doesn't die then isn't it false advertising .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
That film is awesome
I really enjoyed John Dies at the End, but the novel on which it is based is much funnier and engrossing. If you like it, I highly recommend the other books by 'David Wong' (Jason Pargin's pseudonym) This Book Is Full of Spiders, and Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits – I need to read his latest, the wonderfully titled What the Hell Did I Just Read?, the third book involving John, Dave and Amy.
Old 28th January 2018, 12:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I really enjoyed John Dies at the End, but the novel on which it is based is much funnier and engrossing. If you like it, I highly recommend the other books by 'David Wong' (Jason Pargin's pseudonym) This Book Is Full of Spiders, and Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits – I need to read his latest, the wonderfully titled What the Hell Did I Just Read?, the third book involving John, Dave and Amy.
Didn't know it was out yet, got all the others

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 28th January 2018, 12:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just come back from the cinema after seeing EARLY MAN, the latest Aardman film. It's an absolute delight with so many laugh out loud moments, an engrossing story and wonderful voice acting. The animation and sight gags are so well done I forgot to appreciate how long it would have taken to make and it's something I'm definitely going to buy when it's released because it will stand up to repeated viewings at home. I'll probably go to the cinema to see it again, at least once.
Old 28th January 2018, 12:59 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Didn't know it was out yet, got all the others
It apparently came out last year – I just ordered it from Amazon and opted for the 'no rush' postage in exchange for a £1 digital voucher.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 28th January 2018, 01:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Last Picture Show (1971)

If George Lucas' American Graffiti (1973) was a night in the life of a group of college graduates then Peter Bogdanovich's Last Picture Show is a year in the life of a small Texan town. Based on Larry McMurtry's novel this is a masterclass in how to create fully rounded characters and then give them real lives to live.

Like American Graffiti the film is a nostalgic look back to the fifties and in a way a love letter to the films of Howard Hawks, John Ford and so forth. Hawks' Red River is the last movie to be shown in the town's dying picture house and in so doing creates a feeling of true melancholy and sadness as all good things come to an end and lost innocence is all but forgotten.

Bogdanovich is to be applauded for filming the piece in stark black and white. It really feels like an example of fifties cinema.

Where The Last Picture Show truly exceeds though is in it's creation of real people living real lives. Jeff Bridges and Cybil Shepherd are both excellent but it's the roles of veteran western actor Ben Johnson, young Timothy Bottoms and Cloris Leachman that give the film it's true feel of authenticity and make it such a rewarding viewing experience.

I doubt i'll see a better film this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84fa9a9baaccf9f74c275d6bd058fae3.jpg (84.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 28th January 2018, 01:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Last Picture Show (1971)
It's a bona fide masterpiece and a film which I always have highly placed on the list of great directorial debuts. When I first saw it, I was only aware of Peter Bogdanovich as someone who did commentaries on films like Citizen Kane and as an actor for his role as Dr Elliott Kupferberg in The Sopranos, and didn't know he was a filmmaker as well!
Old 28th January 2018, 01:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's a bona fide masterpiece and a film which I always have highly placed on the list of great directorial debuts. When I first saw it, I was only aware of Peter Bogdanovich as someone who did commentaries on films like Citizen Kane and as an actor for his role as Dr Elliott Kupferberg in The Sopranos, and didn't know he was a filmmaker as well!
It wasn't his debut.

The Boris Karloff film Targets was his debut then there was Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women for Corman.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 28th January 2018, 02:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It wasn't his debut.

The Boris Karloff film Targets was his debut then there was Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women for Corman.
I think when I made the list I was concentrating on mainstream or breakthrough films (I forget which), so also included Halloween (ignoring Dark Star) and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (ignoring Eggshells). It wouldn't be on the list if, without the qualifiers, if I made it now.

There are so many great directorial debuts, it might be a good topic for a Top Ten Tuesday!
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th January 2018, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

I still think Sam Raimi’s second is the best Spider-Man film, but this comes mighty damn close, and it easily takes a place somewhere in my MCU top ten.

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Like this? Share it using the links below!