All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2018, 11:57 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Eurocrime (2012)

An in depth look at the Italian cop and gangster films (Poliziotteschi) that ruled the 70's.

An excellent two hour film that interviews the leading lights of the genre and features a lot of choice clips from the films discussed as well. If i have one slight grumble, the film makers try to be too stylish for their own good with pictures and graphics whizzing about often not long enough on screen for them to be taken in. The only mistake i noticed was in the film makers voice over which said Joan Collins was American - she was born in London.

One of the most interesting sections i thought centred on the post production of the films. According to everyone interviewed, the films were never made using live sound. They were all dubbed afterwards. According to Franco Nero the films were all intended to be made in English as more often than not the scripts were in English especially those that featured an American star. Henry Silva says Italian co-star Antonio Sabato struggled with his English lines as they were filming. The dubbing actors have quite a lot to say in the documentary and are as essential to the production of the films as the actors themselves.Those so called purists who only ever try and watch the Italian language version of these films with English subtitles are clearly missing out on an awful lot of dialogue, according to famed director Enzo Castellari (Just not in those exact words) and not watching the films as they were intended to be seen.

The dvd from Nucleus is excellent and features many trailers for the films in question, many of which are beautifully restored. There's also a nice interview with legendary star Tomas Milian who sadly doesn't feature in the doc, although there is a welcome chapter on him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eurocrime_cover.jpg (73.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 25th February 2018, 12:49 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Eurocrime (2012)

An in depth look at the Italian cop and gangster films (Poliziotteschi) that ruled the 70's.

An excellent two hour film that interviews the leading lights of the genre and features a lot of choice clips from the films discussed as well. If i have one slight grumble, the film makers try to be too stylish for their own good with pictures and graphics whizzing about often not long enough on screen for them to be taken in. The only mistake i noticed was in the film makers voice over which said Joan Collins was American - she was born in London.

One of the most interesting sections i thought centred on the post production of the films. According to everyone interviewed, the films were never made using live sound. They were all dubbed afterwards. According to Franco Nero the films were all intended to be made in English as more often than not the scripts were in English especially those that featured an American star. Henry Silva says Italian co-star Antonio Sabato struggled with his English lines as they were filming. The dubbing actors have quite a lot to say in the documentary and are as essential to the production of the films as the actors themselves.Those so called purists who only ever try and watch the Italian language version of these films with English subtitles are clearly missing out on an awful lot of dialogue, according to famed director Enzo Castellari (Just not in those exact words) and not watching the films as they were intended to be seen.

The dvd from Nucleus is excellent and features many trailers for the films in question, many of which are beautifully restored. There's also a nice interview with legendary star Tomas Milian who sadly doesn't feature in the doc, although there is a welcome chapter on him.

I've always preferred dubs with Italian genre movies. I think it's because growing up my main experiences were with Dubs. Plus as you say, with American actors involved it sometimes feels more natural. I think there was some sound recording on set but ADR was used extensivy. With my recent Eurocrime / giallo binge I tried watching Italian language versions but switched back to English because of eye strain.
Old 25th February 2018, 01:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I've always preferred dubs with Italian genre movies. I think it's because growing up my main experiences were with Dubs. Plus as you say, with American actors involved it sometimes feels more natural. I think there was some sound recording on set but ADR was used extensivy. With my recent Eurocrime / giallo binge I tried watching Italian language versions but switched back to English because of eye strain.
According to the doc they didn't record any sound on location mainly because they never had permission to film most of the time. Both Castellari and Claudio Fragasso say this.

I always go with the dub usually because the subs only gave us half the dialogue spoken and the fact the American actors and quite a few of the Italians who dubbed themselves always spoke in English.

If you haven't seen the doc K, i strongly recommend you pick it up as it would be a perfect accompaniment to the films you are currently watching.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th February 2018, 01:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
According to the doc they didn't record any sound on location mainly because they never had permission to film most of the time. Both Castellari and Claudio Fragasso say this.

I always go with the dub usually because the subs only gave us half the dialogue spoken and the fact the American actors and quite a few of the Italians who dubbed themselves always spoke in English.
If you haven't seen the doc K, i strongly recommend you pick it up as it would be a perfect accompaniment to the films you are currently watching.
Ive seen it. The whole issue of sound recording on set is a strange one. I've heard plenty of people say it. Barbera Bouchet is on one giallo documentary saying she used to count rather than say dialogue as it would still synch. Cinicetta studios had no soundproofing and production crews would talk during recording. I've also seen other academics say some recording was done if only to assist adr later.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 25th February 2018, 03:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Suspicious Death of a Minor (1975)

When a young prostitute is found murdered, undercover detective Paolo Germi (Claudio Cassinelli) is assigned to the case and begins hunting down the Milanese crime gang responsible. However, as the investigation continues a mysterious hitman begins taking out the witnesses before they have a chance to testify.

Sergio Martino's last giallo is a hugely entertaining film with one or two well executed murders, however for the most part it strays over into Poliziotteschi territory with car chases, exciting roof top skirmishes and so on.

The film throws us a truly bizarre car chase where Cassinelli's passenger removes the doors of his car and throws them at the pursuing police cars in order to shake them off. Then there's a cyclist who loses the front part of his bicycle as a car knocks it off only for the cyclist to become a unicyclist and head off across the road before crashing into the kerb opposite. Then there's the man attempting to cross the road and in slapstick style is knocked over and does headspins, Breakdance style... twice... as he leaps out of the way. It is however so much fun and the best advert for the classic Citroen 2CV this side of 1981's For Your Eyes Only.

This chase is a long sequence and it radically alters the tone of the film. Which is at times sleazy and at others slapstick, but most importantly always extremely watchable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mortesospettapost.jpg (91.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 25th February 2018, 04:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Have any other forum members watched the Arrow release of The Suspicious Death of a Minor?

Did you enjoy it? I can't remember reading anything about it on here.
Old 25th February 2018, 04:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

SiREN (2016)

I really enjoyed this. A solid monster horror feature length adaptation of the even better short film, the excellent Amateur Night from the otherwise terrible anthology V/H/S.

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 25th February 2018, 07:59 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Have any other forum members watched the Arrow release of The Suspicious Death of a Minor?

I've been waiting for a price drop before I pick it up, it's on my list though.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th February 2018, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A completely bonkers low tier slasher about a woman who goes to her boyfriends family's for Christmas, they turn out to be a bunch a red neck hunters. The mother is creepy and we soon learn what has supernatural powers. Not long after arriving people are being killed by supernatural samurai, the girl is some how link psychically linked with the killer and has orgasm's any time it kills! The picture quality/transfer is far better than a film like this deserves and is a prime candidate for 88s slasher range as it will fit right in with some of the shite there. 5/10

Now watching the Bog(1979)
Old 25th February 2018, 09:00 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:

I posted a review a few weeks back. I really like it. Nice mix of Giallo & polittzittechi.
I prefer what have they done to your daughters though..

Like this? Share it using the links below!