Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd March 2018, 02:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Aye, that's what I'm watching now ... great time capsule etc !!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd March 2018, 04:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight (2017)

Excellent animated feature film with pits Batman against Jack the Ripper in an alt time line Victorian Gotham City standing in for London's East End. Mixing lots of Batman lore with traditional Gothic and Victorian literature - Batman teams up with a slinky woman named Selina Kyle (not a cat in sight though) and has a pre-credits fight with a hulking street bruiser who runs a gang of street urchins, by the name of Bill, this is as much an enjoyable game of spot the references as it is gripping horror.

There's no continuity or back story here, you don't need to be a genius on everything Batman either, just sit back and enjoy this Gothic chiller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91hqITFkl1L._SL1500_.jpg (96.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd March 2018, 04:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Gaslight (1940)

Anton Walbrook and Diana Mynyard star in Thorold Dickinson's filmic version of the classic Victorian stage play.

It's a riveting psychological chiller as Walbrook attempts to drive his wife mad to prevent her disclosing about his past to the authorities.

Nicely atmospheric and suspenseful with an excellent performance from the sadistically menacing but wonderfully controlled Walbrook. This was a first time viewing. It won't be my last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gaslight.jpg (94.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 3rd March 2018, 04:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Gaslight and Batman: Gotham by Gaslight made for a terrific double bill last night.
Old 3rd March 2018, 04:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'll bet it did. Caught Gaslight one afternoon on 4 ages ago and was astounded twas on during the day. Glad you enjoyed it D!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd March 2018, 06:58 PM
Cult Addict

Pumpkinhead
A child is hit by a motorcycle accidentally and dies, the father heads to a witch to resurrect him, but is told it's not possible. So he does the next best thing and summons a demon to kill those involved.
A great revenge tale. Lance Henrikson does great and kudos on the monster effects.
7/10

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:05 PM
Cult Addict

Blood Beat

Odd little slice of life horror about a glow in the dark samurai who is somehow connected to a woman's clitoris, I think. Worth a look.

Nightmare at Noon.

Fun and not at all serious spin on The Crazies as a modern western from the 80s.

The Dead Pit

This is one of those films I was convinced I had seen until I watched it. Barmy and beautiful to look at in a Michael Mann following a serious head trauma kind of way. The plot is daft and the acting crap but the sheer effort put in to it to make it work shines through in a series of set pieces and individual images. Recommended
Old 4th March 2018, 09:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Gaslight (1940)

Anton Walbrook and Diana Mynyard star in Thorold Dickinson's filmic version of the classic Victorian stage play.

It's a riveting psychological chiller as Walbrook attempts to drive his wife mad to prevent her disclosing about his past to the authorities.

Nicely atmospheric and suspenseful with an excellent performance from the sadistically menacing but wonderfully controlled Walbrook. This was a first time viewing. It won't be my last.
I wonder if its the only play/film to have a verb named after it.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:07 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
I wonder if its the only play/film to have a verb named after it.
Interesting thought. I can't think of any at the moment.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:31 AM
Cult Addict

Game night

Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams star as Max & Annie, a couple brought together by the fact they are both incredibly over competitive. Each week they host a game night for their friends where they get to vent their competitive natures. They are having trouble conceiving a child which is put down to Max's stress over his brother who is seemingly more successful, wealthy and attractive than Max who has always walked in his shadow. Max's brother comes back into town and invites his brother and his friends to his rented mansion for a game night with a difference. It appears he has set up a role play game where he gets kidnapped and the couples have to solve several riddles to win the game. However things go wrong when it appears Max's brother has actually been kidnapped and they must rescue him.
Game night is surprisingly good. I've developed a healthy scepticism as far as multiplex comedies go given the large amount of tripe that passes for humour. Game night appears to have had an actual script before shooting rather than simply filming hours of improv and then finding the film in the editing suite. For the most part its well written, funny and well paced with believable characters and chemistry. Its not going to win any awards or be on any best of lists but its very watchable.

Like this? Share it using the links below!