Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179630Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2018, 06:56 AM
Cult Addict

Started watching my 88 hk films. Not posted reviews yet due to work but will attempt to soon.

excuse the pics. Posted in the wrong thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trash fire.jpg (19.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg fair game.jpg (23.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by keirarts; 27th March 2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 27th March 2018, 09:31 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Pacific Rim (2013)

***1/2 out of *****

Pacific Rim Uprising (2018)

While not as good as Del Toro's first film, I had an OK time with it. I thought it was goofy fluff making for an entertaining couple of hours. Passable fun.

*** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 27th March 2018, 12:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ant-Man (2015)

One of the most underrated MCU films.

***1/2 out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 27th March 2018, 07:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For me the best of the house series(which is really not saying much),this time its a proper horror unlike the first two. this time after a serial killer is brought to justice he vows at his execution to seek revenge on the police officer who stopped his reign of terror. enjoyable enough thanks to the two leads Brion James and Lance Henriksen, some good gore but its not hard too see why some compare it too Shocker from the same year as they both deal with a killer killed by the electric chair coming back from the dead to seek revenge. Henriksen son in the film might look familiar as he played Nog in deep space 9. 7/10

up tonight

Old 27th March 2018, 07:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

For me the best of the house series(which is really not saying much),this time its a proper horror unlike the first two. this time after a serial killer is brought to justice he vows at his execution to seek revenge on the police officer who stopped his reign of terror. enjoyable enough thanks to the two leads Brion James and Lance Henriksen, some good gore but its not hard too see why some compare it too Shocker from the same year as they both deal with a killer killed by the electric chair coming back from the dead to seek revenge. Henriksen son in the film might look familiar as he played Nog in deep space 9. 7/10

up tonight

Matinee is great fun, enjoy

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 27th March 2018, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Alien 1979

A spaceship Nostromo heading home to earth, receive a transmission of unknown origon from a derelict planet, decide to check it out. A crew member is returned to the ship with a parasite attached to his face. The remaining crew have to battle with a alien alone on their ship.

This is one of the best sci-fi movies of the 70s, director Ridley Scott made this movie not to scare us but to show us how difficult it is to fight a alien in tight areas ie a air vent and no matter how hard to try, there is no hiding.

The ship itself is like being in a giant maze where every turn can be last one to make and very claustrophobic and very dark areas.

This isnt a story about heroic people, it starts off as the crew finishing a mining job, happy to be going home, then tensions arise and banding together with home made weapons and fight for survival. The actors give out great performances, John Hurt's performance as Kane was amazing as the alien pops out of him and the reaction to the crew was realistic as they had no idea what was going on. 10+.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (8.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 27th March 2018, 10:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Alien 1979

A spaceship Nostromo heading home to earth, receive a transmission of unknown origon from a derelict planet, decide to check it out. A crew member is returned to the ship with a parasite attached to his face. The remaining crew have to battle with a alien alone on their ship.

This is one of the best sci-fi movies of the 70s, director Ridley Scott made this movie not to scare us but to show us how difficult it is to fight a alien in tight areas ie a air vent and no matter how hard to try, there is no hiding.

The ship itself is like being in a giant maze where every turn can be last one to make and very claustrophobic and very dark areas.

This isnt a story about heroic people, it starts off as the crew finishing a mining job, happy to be going home, then tensions arise and banding together with home made weapons and fight for survival. The actors give out great performances, John Hurt's performance as Kane was amazing as the alien pops out of him and the reaction to the crew was realistic as they had no idea what was going on. 10+.
I'll have to rewatch it sometime, been a while and its one of those films when you're younger and watch you don't appreciate it first time round (well I didn't ) wasn't till years later when you do watch it you see the potential of the film .
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.
Old 27th March 2018, 10:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I'll have to rewatch it sometime, been a while and its one of those films when you're younger and watch you don't appreciate it first time round (well I didn't ) wasn't till years later when you do watch it you see the potential of the film .
Yeah i agree with you Gag, i watched the 2003 special edition release, it seemed more suspenseful than the theatrical release.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 27th March 2018, 10:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Saturn 3

Kirk Douglas & Farrah Fawcet play two astronauts menaced by (a dubbed) Harvey Keitel & his robot Hector. I LOVED this when i was about 8 years old & hadn't seen it in as long, so grabbed a german steelbook which ports the extras from a recent american special edition.

Time has not been kind to this movie, upon rewatching it I found it to be a plodding space relationship drama with lots of age-gap sex that was just weird, but the robot is still cool & worth a watch for the strange trio in the leads (don't think they ever got together for another movie).

The commentary by a film journalist & a guy who runs a Saturn 3 website is very good, full of stories about the troubled production & worth a listen, especially if you don't get into the film.

Film 2/10
Commentary 7/10
Old 28th March 2018, 01:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Aliens 1986

After being in a hypersleep for 57 years, sole survivor of the Nostromo Ripley is told the planet from the first movie L-V426 is now a colony planet of 158 people. After the company loose contact, Ripley is persuaded to join a colonial marines group to check it out and be a advisor. What turns out to be a search and rescue becomes a fight for survival.

Director James Cameron takes off where Ridley Scott finished that matches with the brilliance of the first movie.
Cameron took the sequel to a different view, a fast pace movie with some tongue in cheek action that never fails.

Aliens is genuinely thrilling, exciting and more suspenseful, the character Ripley is a bit more tougher by having nightmares and getting over them face to face with the big alien mama.

The cast is brilliant, from Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen and the late Bill Paxton (R.I.P) who comes out with some good one liners. Paul Reiser plays the company guy Burke who you want to punch in the face, as the film goes on and his intentions, I'm sure everyone wants him thrown into the alien nest while everyone escapes.

There is about 3 different versions of the film available, the theatrical version, director's cut and Blu-ray version which (allegedly) has more scenes added and extended footage. No matter how many times you see this movie it never gets boring. 10+
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nORMXEkYEbzkU5WkMWMgRDJwjSZ.jpg (26.2 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!