All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2018, 12:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So is The Raven worth a watch, Frankie?

Love the reviews by the way. You almost convince me After Death is better than Zombi.

Almost.
Ha ha, 'The Raven' was what I was thinking of when I mentioned the potential highlights of Lommel's cheapskate video years... I seem to remember liking it for its incomprehensibility, rubbish video effects and general toss-off status, although ninety nine percent of discerning horror fans will think it's awful. Well, I did buy it for a measley quid in Sainsburys, so I have to say it was worth at least that much.

Thanks for the heads up re 'Nightmares' - was wavering, but will now give it a definite miss. You'd think all the weird shit inc. Toni Basil in 'Slaughterhouse Rock' would make it a hit, but alas it's as unfortifying as you say.
Old 15th December 2018, 12:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 12th

Nekromantik 2

Graphic grimness part one.

I could probably type for hours about Nekromantic 2 but i know you have lives to live. Let's just say it's a romantic escapade which ends up as a threesome (Kind of). Despite it's arthouse pretentions this is as twisted as horror cinema gets and i'm still surprised it got past the BBFC uncut, even in the 21st century.

Arrow's dual format release is a superb package. Recommended.

.................................................. ..................

December 13th

I Spit on Your Grave: Vengeance is Mine (2015)

Graphic grimness part two.

Sarah Butler plays the same character from the first film who is haunted by her horrific rape ordeal years later. Desperate for help she attends a support group. However tales of serial rapists at the support group twist her emotions even more and she once again exacts vengeance.

Told in flashback this is another film that would have been banned in years gone by, although this time through strong graphic sexual violence towards men. Butler is excellent in this gripping film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fdvsKMvIejlRi0T8AcZmYFyeJFb.jpg (37.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg I_Spit_on_Your_Grave_3_poster.jpg (19.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 15th December 2018, 12:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Ha ha, 'The Raven' was what I was thinking of when I mentioned the potential highlights of Lommel's cheapskate video years... I seem to remember liking it for its incomprehensibility, rubbish video effects and general toss-off status, although ninety nine percent of discerning horror fans will think it's awful. Well, I did buy it for a measley quid in Sainsburys, so I have to say it was worth at least that much.

Thanks for the heads up re 'Nightmares' - was wavering, but will now give it a definite miss. You'd think all the weird shit inc. Toni Basil in 'Slaughterhouse Rock' would make it a hit, but alas it's as unfortifying as you say.

Nightmares
is a decent package and probably worth the six quid it cost me in Fopp especially if you have a CEX near you as they'll give you half your cash back which doesn't make me feel too bad.

The rat sequences are just embarrassing. It's basically the old method of Colour Separation Overlay where they add the image of a rat on top of the actual film itself. It takes you right out of the 'zone'... if you were ever actually in it.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 15th December 2018, 01:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

Nightmares
is a decent package and probably worth the six quid it cost me in Fopp especially if you have a CEX near you as they'll give you half your cash back which doesn't make me feel too bad.

The rat sequences are just embarrassing. It's basically the old method of Colour Separation Overlay where they add the image of a rat on top of the actual film itself. It takes you right out of the 'zone'... if you were ever actually in it.
Those rat sequences are selling it to me now! I suspect that's the kind of thing I'd dig if it were in a genuinely 'bad' film, whereas 'Nightmares' just sounds a bit bland overall. I seem to remember you're a fan of 'Of Unknown Origin', so maybe that's why you were so offended?

Some good viewing choices there Dem, hope they made up for the anaemia of 'Nightmares' et al. Agree about Nekro 2. I too liked ISOYG 3, I thought it was gritty, pulpy, nasty.
Old 15th December 2018, 01:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Those rat sequences are selling it to me now! I suspect that's the kind of thing I'd dig if it were in a genuinely 'bad' film, whereas 'Nightmares' just sounds a bit bland overall. I seem to remember you're a fan of 'Of Unknown Origin', so maybe that's why you were so offended?

Some good viewing choices there Dem, hope they made up for the anaemia of 'Nightmares' et al. Agree about Nekro 2. I too liked ISOYG 3, I thought it was gritty, pulpy, nasty.
Ha, ha, yes. Of Unknown Origin was very good.

In comparison Nightmares is the After Death of rat films.

I know you'll buy it now...if you haven't already.

I really liked all three I Spit films. They go under the radar when it comes to genre film franchises, but unlike most franchises they don't water themselves down in any way.
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 15th December 2018, 01:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Ha, ha, yes. Of Unknown Origin was very good.

In comparison Nightmares is the After Death of rat films.

I know you'll buy it now...if you haven't already.

I really liked all three I Spit films. They go under the radar when it comes to genre film franchises, but unlike most franchises they don't water themselves down in any way.
I think 'Nightmares' will have a bit of trouble wrestling the 'After Death of the rat sub-genre' crown from 'Rats: Night of Terror', but I won't bore on with my Mattei fetish. In any case, I binge-buy way less than I used to.

The ISOYG reboot series was a 'nice' surprise in some ways, slick but really grotty.
Old 15th December 2018, 01:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
December 12th

Nekromantik 2

Graphic grimness part one.

I could probably type for hours about Nekromantic 2 but i know you have lives to live. Let's just say it's a romantic escapade which ends up as a threesome (Kind of). Despite it's arthouse pretentions this is as twisted as horror cinema gets and i'm still surprised it got past the BBFC uncut, even in the 21st century.

Arrow's dual format release is a superb package. Recommended.

.................................................. .................
December 13th

I Spit on Your Grave: Vengeance is Mine (2015)

Graphic grimness part two.

Sarah Butler plays the same character from the first film who is haunted by her horrific rape ordeal years later. Desperate for help she attends a support group. However tales of serial rapists at the support group twist her emotions even more and she once again exacts vengeance.

Told in flashback this is another film that would have been banned in years gone by, although this time through strong graphic sexual violence towards men. Butler is excellent in this gripping film.
But yet the original 1970s I spit on your grave has not been passed uncut over here yet .
Still a few scenes that have been toned down or trimmed .
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th December 2018, 01:46 PM
Cult Veteran

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Saved me a tenner I was going to pick that up haha,

In reference to Nightmares as a few more posts have been posted lol.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 15th December 2018, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Absurd.

Edmund Purdum is a priest who is chasing an insane madman Mikos(george eastman), who has under gone genetic experiments which mean that his blood clots very quickly and can only be killed like a zombie by destruction of the brain. he eventually catches up with him and impales him on some gates, but after being taken to hospital, eastman escapes after murdering a nurse with a power drill.

Mr Joe D'amato directs this pretty good follow up to Anthropophaous, even if it has very little in common with the first one.
It does lack a lot of the great atmospheres of Anthrop, but it is still fairly entertaining and has some classic kills, especially the very nasty bandsaw scene, although it is clearly a piece of pork in the close up shots. and a great scene were Annie Belle from House on The Edge of The park ends up in the oven.

Also added to the mix is a interesting Halloween type score that they really get their moneys worth out of. and is used a lot in the climatic scenes at the villa with disabled teen Katia.
One annoying part though is the inclusion of yet another annoying child actor who is always having temper tantrums. why are children so annoying in Italian horror?

yes I enjoyed this one despite the fact that it does drag a little at times, especially in the scenes were they are watching the football game on TV. but I still rate it 78 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg absurd-lg.jpg (71.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th December 2018, 08:21 PM
Cult Addict

Just watched The Void.
Local cop Daniel picks up a guy on the side of the road delirious and bloody. Taking him to the nearest hospital a run down place on the verge of shutting down for good and manned by only a handful of staff. So far so Assault on Precinct 13 I thought. Next thing there some weirdos in sheets and a big squirming monster and all sorts of illogical stuff going on. It steals ideas from a dozen far better movies and then stitches them together with a weak story a weaker script and some badly acted and not very likeable characters. All that said i thought this was sort of ok but I'm glad i only paid three quid and I can't see me ever watching it again.
20181215_211605.jpeg

Last edited by J Harker; 16th December 2018 at 06:38 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!