All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th December 2018, 11:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

aquaposter.jpg
AQUAMAN

Oh man, I thought this movie was great.
The best of the DC movie universe films so far.
Villain Black Manta looks superb and Ocean Master look like they have come straight out of the comic books.
A lot of underwater CGI of course but looks awesome.
Aquaman and Mera play well off each other and the movie is one big fun ride from start to finish.
Old 19th December 2018, 08:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

Turbulence. Ray Liotta is a serial killer being transported by the FBI via passenger plane when a commotion involving another criminal breaks out, and he gets loose, with the situation rapidly getting out of control... Lauren Holly, Hector Elizondo and Brendan Gleeson co-star in this utterly ludicrous late 90s thriller/disaster flick that I do not recall ever having seen before. This film is so dumb, and Ray Liotta's performance so OTT (to the point it's impossible not to think he was just actually actively taking the piss), yet with its Christmas and late 90s nostalgia ambience, I thoroughly enjoyed it in all its glorious silliness.
Old 19th December 2018, 04:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blood from the Mummys Tomb.

A bunch of archaologists discover the tomb of an evil queen Tera, who is still perfectly preserved minus a hand. and her spirit possesses the newly born daughter of the leader of the expedition professor Fuchs(Andrew Kier). And twenty years later strange things start to happen, involving Egyptian artifacts and with the deaths of the archaologists.

Not a bad effort at all despite there being no actual bandaged mummy on the rampage as usual, although that does make a refreshing change. and who needs a traditional mummy when you have the busty Valerie Leon instead in her fetching night gowns?
And apart from the obvious appeal of Miss Leons charms, is it also quite atmospheric with nice sets and music as well eventhough it is a little slow at times. Just a shame that the great Peter cushing had to pull out of the role as the professor due to his wife taking ill at the time. but nevertheless, Andrew Kier still does an okay job.

A solid Hammer film indeed from The Nanny director Seth Holt, who sadly died while making the film. 78 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blood_from_mummys_tomb_01.jpg (58.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 19th December 2018, 04:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 18th

Grizzly (1976)

Basically a rip off of Jaws set on land with a Grizzly bear instead of a shark. To be honest this is a lot of fun. Starring western movie stalwarts Christopher George, Andrew Prine and Richard Jaeckel as Hooper, Quint and Brody.

(I knew these three had been in a film all together prior to this, but for the life of me couldn't remember until i looked up George on IMDB, it was the John Wayne classic Chisum (1970))

So basically that's what you get, decent actors and a killer grizzly roam around some lovely American scenery with several gory bear attacks along the way.

Very enjoyable stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: gif griz.gif (44.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 19th December 2018, 11:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Best F (r) iends Volume 1.

A film featuring Tommy Wiseau. Make your own judgements. The unbearable thought of Vol 2 maketh me queasy. Laugh if you want.

Wheels Of Fire (1985)

An American version of an Italian version of an American film genre. With the de riguer lack of sex and viol-ence that that ensues. PASS.

The House That Jack Built (2018, LVT)

Art must retain the right to shock.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 20th December 2018, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Thought i'd just post this. Ignore the advert, it's nice to see Mac back though.

Old 20th December 2018, 11:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Thought i'd just post this. Ignore the advert, it's nice to see Mac back though.

Best Christmas advert of the year by far, never mind the blatant trailer for Rocket Man that John Lewis tried to pass off as their Christmas ad, this is fantastic
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st December 2018, 05:39 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

He's appeared in a video for Redlettermedia and Avgn on YouTube recently as well

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st December 2018, 02:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 19th

The Mad Ghoul (1943)

A fairly run of the mill programmer from Universal about a mad scientist (George Zucco) who discovers a strange vapor that makes people do his bidding in an almost catatonic state.

Zucco plays the scientist with relish as he goes round sadistically cackling, but David Bruce as the mad ghoul of the title is a bit of a let down or should i say his make up is.

Despite being formulaic there are also decent performances from Mummy fave Turhan Bey and Universal scream queen Evelyn Ankers, meaning the film has a better cast than script. That's not to say the film isn't good it is, but when put up against the Universal heavyweights it feels a bit thin.

.................................................. ...............................

December 20th

Bad Samaritan (2018)

A young valet breaks into a man's home and discovers a terrified woman who's chained and gagged. After notifying the police, he soon becomes the target of the home owners wrath as he tries to rescue the victim that he left behind.

A very enjoyable cat and mouse psycho-thriller. David Tennant plays against type as the kidnapper but does it very well in a nice sadistic way and former Misfit Robert Sheehan plays the valet whose life is suddenly turned upside down.

It's a fast moving film and Sheehan makes for an engaging lead but the whole thing is utterly ludicrous. If you were to suddenly stop and think i'm sure the film would fall apart, however if you can disengage your brain as i did then there's a hell of a lot of fun to be had here.
Old 21st December 2018, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

A Christmal Carol. George C Scott stars as Scrooge in this mid 80s adaptation of the famous Dickens story, leading a fine cast that includes David Warner, Susannah York, Michael Gough and Edward Woodward as a particularly vindictive Ghost of Christmas Present. Entertaining enough.

Like this? Share it using the links below!