Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th March 2019, 08:58 PM
Cult Addict

The House that Jack Built
An aspiring architect becomes a serial killer with OCD and reminisces over many of his kills.
I will say I found this to be a brilliant film, however I do admit there are many moments throughout that felt both unnecessary and frankly shocking even to the point where I was asking why this wasn't censored.
Matt Dillon does bring a fantastic performance and Lars Von Trier shows himself to be a competent director.
I would recommend this one but at the same time it won't be to everyone's taste.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 11th March 2019, 02:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Bat Whispers 1930.

At a isolated mansion the inhabitants are being terrorised by a criminal known as The Bat.

This was a great old crime thriller mixed with horror and comedy, back then it was mostly relied on lights to produce dark shadows, and some silly effects blended with good dark atmosphere. Chester Morris leads this team of actors and plays the detective in charge of the hunt, nowadays it's more comical than horror but still a joy to watch a film made 89 years ago.
Old 11th March 2019, 07:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

Alita: Battle Angel. Okay if you like that sort of thing, I guess.
Old 11th March 2019, 09:26 AM
Active Cultist

Yesterday:

frontier-e1414610290656.jpg
keirarts, bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Old 11th March 2019, 10:54 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Repulsion (1965)

I went into this having not seen it prior but with the knowledge it was a masterpiece of psychological horror from director Roman Polanski.

The film's detail is realistic and the setting of mainly a single apartment stark but i didn't find a lot to love here. Random acts of violence and an exploitative scene with Richard Widmark aside i thought it was quite dull, being solely in the company of Catherine Deneuve whose motive for madness and murder was the only thing sparser than her dialogue.
Old 11th March 2019, 11:01 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Black Panther (2018)

Another over hyped Marvel movie. As with the bulk of them things begin to go pear shaped when the comic strip action kicks in. Many found this refreshing due to it's mainly black cast and it was up to a point, but in not having any other MCU characters turn up it lacked the magic and banter style camaraderie of some of the other films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black-panther-quad-poster-1024x768.jpg (102.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 11th March 2019, 11:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Entity (2015)

I think this was the first Peruvian film i've ever seen and it wasn't too bad at all even if it was made in the dog tired genre of found footage and in this case reaction footage too ala Gogglebox.

The found footage was well done and thankfully well lit in that green hue kind of way and on the whole nicely atmospheric. For a change we could see what was going on as *spoiler alert* demons attacked our intrepid documentary makers in some quietly gruesome sequences.

Although marred by too much bickering from the cast, the end result really wasn't bad at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51885_1_front.jpg (38.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 11th March 2019, 02:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Curtains.

samantha Sherwood(samantha Eggar) gets herself commited to a loony bin to do research for a role in a upcoming film. but her director (john vernon) leaves her there and has a casting session for six other actresses instead at his remote house. but she manages to escape from the mad house and turns up to confront vernon just as a series of murders starts by a black glove maniac wearing an old hag mask.

So so slasher film, which has a few interesting ideas going for it such as creepy dolls and a atmospheric scene on an ice rink. but ultimately left me feeling rather bored as its all rather dreary, bloodless and rather convoluted.
Eggar also left me rather cold eventhough she's a decent enough actress. but the rest of the cast apart from John vernon were totally bland and forgettable. 65 out of 100.
Old 11th March 2019, 04:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Great film from what I remember, been a while since I've seen it .
Old 11th March 2019, 05:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For me one of the lower tier marvel films. All a little meh. Quite uninspiring and by the numbers found Brie wrong for the role, was supposed to be cocky and funny but came of annoying and arrogant, it's not all bad enjoyed the main Skrull and 90s soundtrack and Easter eggs. Fury and Goose are by far the best thing in the film, felt no threat from Laws character mind that was down to how quick marvel became binary , which made her overly powerful to the point that how are they going to find enemies for her to fight. Open marvel credits and the scene on the train were a wonderful tribute too Stan Lee. 6/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 11th March 2019 at 08:18 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!