Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2018, 06:28 AM
Cult Addict

Halloween 2018

Solid slasher flick that returns the series to the pacing and tone of the original. Its not a patch on that but better than most of the sequels. (Halloween 3 is still better), Gory in places but not loud or over the top with a great central performance from Jaimie lee Curtis. Certainly a better reinvention than H20 was.
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:07 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Bad Times at the El Royale. A group of strangers gather at a sleazy motel in the middle of a thunderstorm - but none of them are exactly who they seem to be. Jeff Bridges leads the cast in this 60s set ensemble thriller that plays like a classier, less irritating version of The Hateful Eight.
I saw this at the cinema last Monday and thought it was great. The construction and timescale is very clever and the backdrop of the Vietnam war and a version of the Manson Family was very delicately handled. The characters are all very well rounded and engaging – it's something I'll definitely buy to watch at home.

Old 23rd October 2018, 08:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I spent half of Solo wondering where I had see him before . Undemanding scifi flick. Sure, it may contain echoes of a 40 year old movie, but since I could care less etc, there was a laugh and a gasp here and there but I can't see me watching it again.

The Crucifixion (2018)
I am a sucker for the precis "... inspired by actual events". A peachy keen cub reporter fixates on stories regarding religion due to a past trauma, eventually investigating the death of a nun during an exorcism. A laugh riot. Whilst the ST is riddled with the LOUD/ quiet traps that plague modern horror cinema, the rather hackneyed tale of a loner set against the rigidity of dogma is snooze inducing. This must be this banality of evil that I have heard of

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd October 2018, 09:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I saw this at the cinema last Monday and thought it was great. The construction and timescale is very clever and the backdrop of the Vietnam war and a version of the Manson Family was very delicately handled. The characters are all very well rounded and engaging – it's something I'll definitely buy to watch at home.

My God, I was able to like a post!
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
My God, I was able to like a post!
I'm honoured!
Old 24th October 2018, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

13:17 to Paris

Tbh I was slightly disappointed not because it was rubbish , far from it, true story based on a terrorist attack on a train to Paris and 3 friends from USA stopped a disaster.
What was disappointed was the film about hr and half long and its about a hr and 5 min before the friends board the train, and the whole scenero was kinda blink and you miss it (not quite but almost ) it spends a whole hour about the three friends being kids growing up joining the army and travelling Europe , a lot of scenes could have been shortened or where a tadge pointless and we see or know nothing at all about the terrorist except him being stopped by the 3 guys , a little background of him or what sentence he got etc wouldn't have gone a miss but we get none of that, also I'm sure I read somewhere the 3 guys in the film are the original 3 guys who stopped the attack , Clint Eastwood wanted to have them in the film as tribute for their bravery .

Last edited by gag; 25th October 2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 24th October 2018, 05:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That sounds awful gag. Noted.

Spiderman: Homecoming
I enjoyed this. A world away from that moaning Garfield blighter what what.
Our webslinging teen battles his way to maturity whilst hunting some bad guys. What else do you want??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th October 2018, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Circle

A new career in a new town. It's not just a Bowie track .... a deadening existence in a cubicle is all Emma Watson can see in her future ...so when a friend wangles her a placement with the hippest titular dudes on the block ... everything will be just dandy from now on?? . Reasonable cast here.
Of course, no capitalist institution would dream of controlling every aspect of their employees lives ... would they??
Like The Lobster this shows a happy smiling inner death writ large. Shades of Black Mirror here tbh also.

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 24th October 2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 25th October 2018, 02:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

I saw the new Halloween at the cinema today. I'm afraid I wasn't impressed. It wasn't terrible, but it was nowhere near as good as the hype, and while it's better than some of the sequels I found it markedly inferior to others (2, 4 and H20), all of which it retcons. The retconning of the Laurie/Michael sibling relationship also strikes me as anal fanboyism rather than particularly necessary and actually rather undermines them as nemeses IMO. I didn't think Curtis was as good in this as she was in H20, which also had a more rather more believable version of Laurie. The last act was also surprisingly weak, with the eventual confrontation between Laurie and Michael nowhere near as epic or satisfying as in H20 IMO. Like Terminator Genisys, this is basically cinematic fan-fiction. Unlike Genisys, I was kind of bummed out by this.
Old 25th October 2018, 11:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ghost In The Shell (2017):

My wife and I very much like the two original films by Mamoru Oshii and when I saw this 2017 live action version for a fiver at Sainsburys, I thought I'd give it a fair shot. The good - it's a much better western adaption than say, the Resident Evil franchise. The bad - it's a simplified and less adult take on the original movies (I've never read the manga). It was better than I had expected and my wife and I did have some fun with it. It's certainly interesting enough to keep imo and it has to be said that the Clint Mansell soundtrack is something really special. Film score - 6.75/10.

Like this? Share it using the links below!