Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2010, 12:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last night I watched:

A Very Long Engagment - Loved every second of it, all the famous trademarks of Jean Pierre Jeunet were there. The beautiful cinematography with the majority of scenes having a grogeous golden yellow filter, the wonderful dialogue and the general fantastic directing style that only Jean can pull off with such charm. It's beautiful, emotional and comical. Not as good as Amelie, but nothing in my eyes will be as it's my all time favourite film.

The Entity - What a great film. Well acted, brilliantly directed and a fantastically creepy score that kept the tension high. I watched it after several recommendations on here and I was not disappointed at all. Some effects looked dated but the majority were impressive for a 30 year old film. I was surprised that a remake hadn't been done but then after checking imdb, a remake is currently being worked on.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 1st July 2010, 05:18 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
It did (and still does) and that was one of the better 'mediocre' films as it feels as if you're watching Jerry Lewis the actor and not Jerry Lewis the producer/director. If you're interested, it is this set which is quite well priced for something containing 11 films, one of which retails for almost half the price of this set alone!
The Bellboy, mediocre? oh dear, oh dear I enjoyed it as much as The Nutty Professor. I may have to get that boxset .
Old 1st July 2010, 05:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

I saw the 2005 Swedish drama Evil.

It was awesome, the Swedes know how to make good movies, first this and Let The Right One In.

It is a quite powerful movie and leaves you thinking throughout. You really feel for Erik once he goes to the boarding school. Acting is superb and the story is really good and interesting also.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 1st July 2010, 06:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Evil dead trap

I heard so much about this film and nvr seen it, just got round to watching it, it was dull boring and ending was WTF pile of crap , i wont even bother wasting my time on 2 or 3 one,
Old 1st July 2010, 08:45 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
I saw the 2005 Swedish drama Evil.

It was awesome, the Swedes know how to make good movies, first this and Let The Right One In.

It is a quite powerful movie and leaves you thinking throughout. You really feel for Erik once he goes to the boarding school. Acting is superb and the story is really good and interesting also.
I think you mean the 2003 Evil then because the 2005 Evil is a Greek zombie film

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 1st July 2010, 10:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
The Bellboy, mediocre? oh dear, oh dear I enjoyed it as much as The Nutty Professor. I may have to get that boxset .
Maybe I just overdosed on Jerry Lewis as his performances and roles can be very similar from film to film so perhaps I was just a little jaded when I watched The Bellboy -- who knows?
Old 1st July 2010, 10:55 PM
Cult Addict

SOLOMAN KANE: a lot darker than I thought it would be which was a plus but on the down side apart from the clothing and name this has nothing what so ever to do with Robert E. Howard's original character. It's a shame really as the original character is free from sin unlike the film version who seeks redemption for his past actions. The idea of a lead character without flaws and being selfless and heroic is, I guess, either deemed as nonsense in the modern world or perhaps too radical an idea for today's jaded viewers.

IN HOT BLOOD: a post Michael Findlay stab at grimy sexploitation that fails due to the lack of misanthropic rage found in it's role models work.

THE LEMON GROVE KIDS MEET THE MONSTERS-TRILOGY: Ray Dennis Steckler's homage to The Bowrey Boys is pretty amazing considering it was made for nothing and combines slapstick humour, wigged out 60s freakadelic fun and lighting straight out of a Bava film.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I think you mean the 2003 Evil then because the 2005 Evil is a Greek zombie film
oh yeah
oops

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched Love Goddes of the Cannibals and really enjoyed it, easily the best of D'Amato's carribean romps.
Worth watching just to see the gorgeous Melissa Chimenti!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 4th July 2010, 09:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Moon
Low budget sci-fi with Sam Rockwell giving a powerhouse performance/performances. This is one of those films that deserves more than one viewing as I'm sure a second one will bring with it new discoveries. Strangely enough, is was a rental that arrived the day before this goes out on Sky Movie, so I'll get the chance to watch this again this week.

Hong Kong Godfather
This triad film left me just a little gobsmacked. The occasional bursts of violence during the first two thirds just does not prepare you for the bloody carnage of the final third. The fight choreography aims for realism and succeeds well. Even Leung Kar Yan looks like a desperate fighter rather than the polished one he usually is when the fights break out. The brutal style and the lingering on the after effects of violence have rarely been done so well in Hong Kong cinema. You really feel that violence does damage and it makes the film that much more compelling. This film has just shot straight into my list of favourite Shaw Brothers films.

Fright
Early seventies thriller places Susan George into the babysitter in peril possition. She is surrounded by a good cast that includes George Cole and Dennis Waterman in pre "Minder" days. Only Ian Bannen's psychotic character lets it down for me as he overacts and often mumbles through his lines. The first half builds a sense of tension that actually dissipates the more you learn about the backstory. Watchable, but overall a bit of a let down, especially that "surprise" ending.

Fiend Without A Face
I'm a sucker for these low budget B-movies. I remember seeing this one as a kid over 35 years ago so a revisit has been long overdue. The story about terrifying creatures created from thought boosted by nuclear power that suck out their victims brains and spinal columns has an obvious anti nuclear message but it's just too much fun to let it disrupt the hokey story. The creatures are far more effective when you can't see them but the stop motion killer "brain" creatures are pure cheese.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Like this? Share it using the links below!