All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179630Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2020, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dragged Across Concrete (2018)

I absolutely loved Zahler's Bone Tomahawk, an outstanding western, so was looking forward to this.

Unfortunately the opening hour was so slow moving that it felt like it was dragging me across concrete but it did improve once Mel and Vince began trailing the robbers across town, eventually becoming a less unhinged and smaller scale version of Ben Wheatley's Free Fire albeit with added disemboweling.

Disappointing but worth a reappraisal in future.

The Tomb: Devil's Revenge (2019)

F*cking hell! This really did feel like being dragged along concrete, by the balls.

William Shatner stars and he's f*cking terrible, hammy as can be without any redeeming qualities whatsoever. Fellow Star Trekker Jeri Ryan tries her best in a thankless support role but nothing could prepare her or the viewer for Shatner's shiteness in this largely plotless excuse for a movie.

Despite the devil's of the title getting plenty of screen time they unfortunately fall into the trap of looking like a poorly realised Doctor Who monster from the seventies.

Avoid at all costs.
Dragged Across Concrete was way too long, there were too many scenes that were stretched out for no real reason. Especially the scene where the new mother was reluctantly leaving for work only for......(Not spoiling) but it was a completely unnecessary drawn out scene.

I swear some Directors think that their Films should be 2 and half hour plus epics no matter what.
Old 1st December 2020, 09:05 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Horrible Bosses 2

The gang are back and this time they are conned into supplying (Christoph Waltz) an order of the product they invented. To get revenge they fake kidnap his Son (Chris Pine) to recoup their losses. Again Jennifer Anniston steals the show.

This was fun to watch but it was hard to root for the 3 main characters, they are incompetent when hiring and Kevin Spacey sums it well when he says that he wants to meet the people who didn't get a deposit to cover cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hb2.jpg (14.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 2nd December 2020, 12:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Also revisited Black Mountain Side

Still quite the oddity. An archaeological team uncover an unusual structure. What happens next isn't like The Cruisemummy TF. Or that witless Thing remake. Watch this instead.
Ahem.
I picked this up at a JB HiFi sale a while ago, but haven't watched yet. Have heard that it's pretty good.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

16255_1_large.jpg
INVASION OF THE VAMPIRES (1963)

Count Frankenhausen uses his daughter to lure men out into the night so he can make them in to the undead. A Dr. arrives and tries to stop the growing vampirism. The Count can change in to a huge bat, and if killed, his undead victims will rise..

Mexican horror. Sequel to 'The Bloody Vampire' (1962).
Pretty good horror that is filled with some great atmospheric moments and a creepy soundtrack.
Great ending in which the undead rise from their coffins and wander around the town (still with stakes in their hearts !??).

PDVD_051.JPG PDVD_004.JPG
Old 2nd December 2020, 05:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Equinox (1970, Jack Woods)

WOOOOOH FEMALE IDENTIFIED PARENT.
The times they have chan-ged. Always remember seeing the cover of this one in a local store back in the long long ago. Whether I did take it out is lost to the mists of time ....

4 40 year olds visit some academic in the woods. What they find wouldn't make great reading on Trip Advisor tbh
Apparently the prof has been delving into arcane lore (it looks like Hebrew to me ....) and has come a cropper. A hoot. Interesting on many levels, predating The Evil Dead sliiiightly, and as a time capsule of a time gone by .... where women knew their place ahem
Decentish stop motion adds to the fun somewhat.
REWATCH! Recommended. Criterion did the best job they could. Kudos etc etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EQ.jpg (21.7 KB, 2 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike # 1

Victor Crowley (2017)

The Hatchet films are loads of fun and not to be taken seriously despite them having tremendous gory murders that would terrify the BBFC back in the day.

This fourth installment is no different. A young couple are hacked to pieces in beautifully bloody fashion in the first five minutes to signal the start of the mayhem and away we go. We've got gratuitous nudity - a book signing by original film survivor Perry Shen is laugh out loud funny - ridiculous dialogue, awful over acting, Tiffany Shepis. (Yay!), and of course Kane Hodder as Victor Crowley, back to slice up anyone he can by any means he can.

If you like the other movies then you'll have a lot of fun with this.

There's an excellent 25 minute interview with director Adam Green as one of many extras. The dvd is worth buying for this alone as once again his likability and sheer enthusiasm for the horror genre shines through and he tells the most touching story about George A Romero i've heard in a long time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91kX8Sh6Z9L._RI_.jpg (97.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 2nd December 2020, 08:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Batman Forever (1995, Joel Schumacher)

A candy coloured clown they call the set designer, tiptoes through my vision, giving me a fright (ful headache).
Ahem.
I laughed more this time. How silly tis. Saw Don Wilson this time. Never again though.

Brainsmasher: A Love Story (1993)

Andrew Dice Clay and Teri Hatcher? Hmmm. To be brutally honest, I really wish I could find Bound & Gagged: A Love Story, another "quirky" 90s oddity. But this was about as undemanding as it gets as a model and a bouncer have to fight off a Chinese sect bent on claiming an artifact for their own nefarious needs.
Remake? SURE. Just switch the two leads and make the baddies ... some other race ... Welsh?? That's PC in a nutshell (or rather Hypocritewood's take on it, those tryhard fools). Clay plays his usual NOO YOIKER to the hilt and Lois looks pretty (thin) in a variety of outfits.

The next film I watched was ..... different. More to come!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:00 PM
Cult Master

91yIs35UJsL._RI_.jpg

4 collage girls desperate to head to Miami for spring break hatch a plan to make more money when their savings for the trip are way short of the target. Three of the girls hold up a diner and the trip is back on. On arrival to Miami its pure paradise for them drink drugs partying not a care in the world they feel untouchable. That soon fades when there is a drug bust snd the girls are sent to jail for a few days. When they cant afford bail they are sent back to their cell for a further two days but s local drug and gun dealer posts bail snd the trip takes a totally different direction.

I always avoided this film think i expected a a film filled with annoying airheads but boy was i wrong book cover and all that. This is a darker tale of drugs greed boredom the longing for change a search for excitement a break from the norm self discovery. The film is shot so beautifully the whole film feels like you are having an out of body dream like experience. The music and the colours almost gives the feel of an other worldly nightmare. I enjoyed the acting and the story but the directing is what is was all about blurring the lines between beauty and a felling of unease always expecting something nasty to happen.

7/10
Old 2nd December 2020, 09:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Spring Breakers improves with subsequent viewings too i think.
Old 2nd December 2020, 10:04 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Spring Breakers improves with subsequent viewings too i think.
Definitely adding it to the collection i just spotted it on Netflix thought I'd give it a shot.

Im not a Britney Spears fan but that scene where they were singing at the piano was so haunting.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!