Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2022, 02:30 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Film-Review-Minutes-to-Midnight-2018-film-3.jpg

A group of "kids" go to a cabin in the woods for a new years eve party and hilarity ensues.

Bloody hell i hate these films nobody can act the dialogue is so ridiculous everyone is a tough guy smart arse and the woman are brainless. One scene a guy returns home for the first time in months and his ex girlfriend says straight away oh you just just expect to show up and pick up where things left off before he even opens his mouth to say any lines The Sheriff is absolutely shocking he speaks all his lines while looking at the ground and while he is warning the kids about an incoming storm he says some BS about dont make the same mistakes i made and roads paved with good intentions or some rubbish like that whatever it was it was totally irellivant to the situation. First time Bill Mosely shows up on screen he is dressed at Otis even with the long grey hair exact same dirty jeans and blood soaked vest maybe a little nod to the Rob Zombie films but looked stupid. God dame i get so mad watching these films the camera work is so shaky it would almost make you queasy. Then there is the scene you must drink this decanter of Whiskey in 15 minutes or your friends will do ooooohhhh fiendish.

The final showdown and fight is hilarious suddenly tbey started using slow motion and some of the stupidest music you will hear like some late night infomercial and then suddenly the film just cuts and its over in the most stupid way

Avoid

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 7th July 2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old 7th July 2022, 03:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE MAJORETTES – Screwball slasher with ultimate zombie ‘Typhoid Mary’ Bill Hinzman at the helm. He doesn’t deliver another ‘Flesheater’ here, which is a pity as I consider that flick to be classic dreck. Instead, TM is pretty much by the numbers (it’s quite telling that its alternative title was ‘One By One’) before it swerves from its cookie-cutter high school stalk’n’kill set-up and flips out into a weird mixture of blackmail-based intrigue and Rambo. I expect the filmmakers were so desperate to make it work that they were just throwing any old shit at the wall to see what might stick (I haven’t read the John Russo paperback so can’t comment as to whether it’s all a dazzlingly intricate plotline that didn’t quite translate), but before the ludicrousness of that last half hour the scant horror moments are sandwiched between lots of scenes where people hang out after gym for a nice long chat. Missed opportunities fade out into the blur as the wheels slowly come off, like the weird religious imagery that accompanies the kills – yet another throwaway, it’s kind of there as a red herring almost. The style is drab and the acting wooden, and it only worked for me on that ‘this is the eighties’ bottom line, notwithstanding an overall silliness that just about kept me in.

CRYSTAL EYES – Interesting Argentinian giallo homage with a serious eighties fixation. It uses that old mainstay, the fashion house setting, to good effect in that it allows for a thorough wallow in excessive visual style. In fact the lush aesthetic of ‘Crystal Eyes’ can’t quite shake the underlying digital production, but that doesn’t stop the film from laying on a string of gaudy, candy coloured set pieces. Tonally, CE seems to alternate between melodramatic screechiness and blissed out flights into pure imagery – it can’t quite square the circle between those two and this affects the pacing, but I was drawn to such atmospheric highlights as a smoky chanteuse in monochrome doing a number on TV, not to mention the mannequin-like killer themselves. There are flaws but who cares when the film is capable of offering up such outrageous contrivances as the Argento crystal plumage-referencing kill at the end, so bluntly and artificially orchestrated that I laughed out loud. Maybe it’s all a bit tongue in cheek, but latter day giallo pastiches have become a bit of an indie staple in the last fifteen years or so and this is a good stab at that sort of thing.
Old 7th July 2022, 03:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

fid21005.jpg
THOR LOVE AND THUNDER

So, the MCU trundles on...
As with the previous Thor movie Ragnorak and in Avengers movies, the character of Thor has become the comedic God Of Thunder. Thankfully, fat Thor from Avengers Endgame is gone from the start.
Thor does get his serious side back especially in some scenes with Jane Foster.
For me, the Jane Foster Thor looked great. I really liked the character in the comics especially in The Avengers team but I know for some comic book readers she was a big no,no. So yeah, seeing the Jane Foster Thor looking straight out of the comic books was pretty awesome for me. The Guardians Of The Galaxy get a brief look in as well and it was good to see Jaimie Alexander back as Lady Sif. Again in comic acurate costume, although her character is wasted.
There will be another Thor movie but who knows where all these movies made after Avengers Endgame are heading. There does not seem at the moment anything to link any of the movies together as they all look to be heading off in different story stands.
Anyway, THOR LOVE AND THUNDER is an enjoyable and fun movie, just go along for the ride.
Old 7th July 2022, 03:15 PM
Cult Master

MV5BNDQxMGU5MDUtZmQ5MC00NDQ5LWEyMWYtNjcxODMyYjJiY2Q1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTcwMzkyNDE@._V1_.jpg

A drifter erm drifting through town gets drugged by a few local thugs in masks while he sleeps in his motel room. What follows is a bit cat and mouse around town.

Jesus H Corbitt im on a roll with shit films apart from a stupid story or even lack of and the horrible horrible acting what irritated me more was the camera work so many stupid angles every scene is too close up on peoples faces or the camera is on the ground pointing up or miles up in the sky looking down. Not only is the camera work shocking the use i light was atrocious and someone got a little trigger happy with the smoke machine. The whole film just felt like a bunch of random scenes just thrown together with nothing belonging together.

What a load of SHITE.
Old 7th July 2022, 03:15 PM
Cult Veteran

They had showings at 6am for Thor at the Liverpool Odeon this morning, I’m not that desperate to see it lol!! I might go over the weekend to see one of the 30+ screenings they have on haha.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th July 2022, 03:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
They had showings at 6am for Thor at the Liverpool Odeon this morning, I’m not that desperate to see it lol!! I might go over the weekend to see one of the 30+ screenings they have on haha.
I know they show 2 3 films on nearly all screens and then a lot of films get left out, they think that everyone wants to see marvel / dc/ superhero stuff, and then films like The Black phone just gets a random showing here and there and meanwhile chances Cronenberg/ Argento latest films wont get shown at all, and then film industry wonders why certain films don't break even or struggles to make a impact.
Old 7th July 2022, 03:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

CRYSTAL EYES – Interesting Argentinian giallo homage with a serious eighties fixation. It uses that old mainstay, the fashion house setting, to good effect in that it allows for a thorough wallow in excessive visual style. In fact the lush aesthetic of ‘Crystal Eyes’ can’t quite shake the underlying digital production, but that doesn’t stop the film from laying on a string of gaudy, candy coloured set pieces. Tonally, CE seems to alternate between melodramatic screechiness and blissed out flights into pure imagery – it can’t quite square the circle between those two and this affects the pacing, but I was drawn to such atmospheric highlights as a smoky chanteuse in monochrome doing a number on TV, not to mention the mannequin-like killer themselves. There are flaws but who cares when the film is capable of offering up such outrageous contrivances as the Argento crystal plumage-referencing kill at the end, so bluntly and artificially orchestrated that I laughed out loud. Maybe it’s all a bit tongue in cheek, but latter day giallo pastiches have become a bit of an indie staple in the last fifteen years or so and this is a good stab at that sort of thing.
Not to be confused with the actual giallo Eyes of Crystal from 2004 starring Simon Andreu.

Might dig that out tonight to watch now you've almost mentioned it.
Old 7th July 2022, 04:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Possession of Joel Delaney (1972)

A demonic possession film that came out a year before The Exorcist, The Possession of Joel Delaney is a well made movie starring the always excellent Shirley Maclaine who slowly comes to realise her brother may have something sinister going on when he begins acting very strangely.

Shot on location in New York with good direction from Waris Hussain, the film looks at social and racial class as much as it does superstition and voodoo. Although a very well scripted and acted film it is very slow moving until the final twenty minutes and a beach house finale which is both extremely controversial, decidedly seedy and out of place from the rest of the film seemingly more like The Last House on the Left (1972) or the more apt i guess Last House on the Beach (1978) than what comes previous in this melodramatic supernatural thriller.
Old 7th July 2022, 04:42 PM
Cult Master

poster-780.jpg

Three years on from the events of Fright Night Charlie has just complete years of therapy trying to get over his fear and belief of vampires. His doctor agrees he is cured and Charlie sets about rebuilding his life with his girlfriend and collage life but his past will soon come back to haunt him when the sister of the vampire he killed three years earlier returns for revenge on Charlie and vampire killer Peter Vincent. With a faith worse than death the plan on immoralising him so he can be tortured for enternity the the two must once again team up and slay some vampires.

Not missing a beat from the first film Fright Night 2 continues the fun with great characters and great visuals . There is elements of comedy without spoiling the horror and forgetting what it really is. The make up and the creature designs all look great.

Julie Carmen steals the show as the vampire Regine she is very mesmerising and sultry and really commands your attention. My favourite scene was hands down the party scene with the dance between Charlie and Regine and again ill use the word mesmerising for this scene the use of music the colours and lighting in the scene was almost dreamlike giving you that otherworldly floaty feeling beautiful.

Almost forgot to mention a brilliant soundtrack tying it all together and the closing credits song has that same dreamy feel to it as the film fits so perfectly.

Recommended.
Old 7th July 2022, 04:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I need to watch those last 2 Chucky films as well, never got around to it. I enjoyed the reboot though, has some great bits in it.
I believe that new Horror Channel spin off that's called Legend is showing Cult Of Chucky this Friday night.

The same channel is also showing Extreme Prejudice on Saturday Night which is great because I was interested in the recent Blu-Ray release but the Trailer did nothing for me
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!