All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2022, 05:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I believe that new Horror Channel spin off that's called Legend is showing Cult Of Chucky this Friday night.

The same channel is also showing Extreme Prejudice on Saturday Night which is great because I was interested in the recent Blu-Ray release but the Trailer did nothing for me
I've actually got the box set of films but I've put it away I don't currently have enough room for everything to be out. I'll have a look for it this weekend though
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 7th July 2022, 06:46 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMDNlZGZlYjctYzM4OS00YTcyLWE1M2QtMDA5Nzk0MTlhNzcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

An overweight attorney has tried every sort of diet to shed some pounds but his love of food is so great that he just can't help himself stuffing his mouth at every opportunity. His wife is at her wits end worries that Billy's weight will kill him so she tries her best to encourage him but one night while driving home she tries to take him mind away from the foot by showing her flute playing skills distracted by the tunes she is playing Billy doesn't see a gypsy woman cross the street until its too late and he hits and kills her. The gypsies father puts a curse on Billy that he will lose rapid weight until he dies after his friend the judge and chief of police rig the inquest in Billys favour in turn both of those men are infliced with different curses but all three will cause death. Billy must now call in as many favours as he can to find the gypsy that put the curse on him as he is the only one that can remove it before it rips him and his family apart.

I really easy and fun watch the whole concept is great yes the fat suit looks pretty lame at times but that never really come into it once you get used to looking at it. Billy himself is a really likeable character he is very friendly and timid and even when the s**t hits the fan he is still the same no fake heroics or suddenly becoming Rambo thats what makes him so believable as a character the lust for revenge does creep in but again a very believable evolution giving the circumstances.

Solid acting great story some great gory moments all round a great film.

Recommended .
Old 7th July 2022, 06:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

China O'Brien II. 1990.

After busting up a big drug deal, the dealer puts out a bounty for the death of China, teaming with Matt and Dakota try stay one step ahead of the dealer and bring his enterprise down.

Cynthia Rothrock, Richard Norton and Keith Cooke return from where the previous film finished, China is still the sheriff until a escaped convict appears and wrecks havoc over the town. The fight scenes are well choreographed, Keith Cooke and Billy Blanks alley fight seemed good but was over a bit quick. Parts of the film seemed all over the place and somewhat dull and uninteresting, helped pass time away.

China_O_Brien_2___add_size_i3.jpg
Old 7th July 2022, 08:22 PM
Cult Master

MV5BNzAxN2Q0MTUtNWI4Yi00YjRiLWI2NjAtMTg3NTdiYjQ2NGVkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

As a child Gregory witnesses the murder of the Ice Cream king in front of all the kids waiting for their summary threat. Traumatised by this Gregory spends he youth in a mental hospital and on his release he reopens the old ice cream factory with a mission to make ever child's day a good day. When kids start going missing a small group of kids turn their attention to Gregory but the adults don't believe a word of it.

Pretty goofy film with some pretty bizarre stuff going on at times and more than its fair share of pointlessness especially the two cops investigating the missing kids. Jan-Michael Vincent just phones in his performance as one of the cops he literally just stands in the background looking bored i know he had a lot of medical issues later on life im not sure if it was during this time and he just needed a pay cheque. Most of the kills are cut away to a blood splatter but the after effects are fun and creative like head on a cone

It looks like they were going for a sort of a comedy horror or maybe there weren't thats just how it came out not that i found it funny barring one or two one liners from Clint Howard. If you stick with it the film greatly improves in the last half an hour where the ice cream man finally cracks and starts to have a lot of fun its like Clint was able to throw off the shackles from the first hour of the film to do whatever he wanted.

One thing thats totally bizarre about this film is the kid Tuna everyone keeps calling him fat but they just have him in some sort of fat torso suit why they didnt just hire an actual fat kid is beyond me

You have to love Clint Howard always entertaining and he is the image of my neighbour only problem is its a woman

Decent film fun last half hour.
Old 7th July 2022, 08:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 240985

As a child Gregory witnesses the murder of the Ice Cream king in front of all the kids waiting for their summary threat. Traumatised by this Gregory spends he youth in a mental hospital and on his release he reopens the old ice cream factory with a mission to make ever child's day a good day. When kids start going missing a small group of kids turn their attention to Gregory but the adults don't believe a word of it.

Pretty goofy film with some pretty bizarre stuff going on at times and more than its fair share of pointlessness especially the two cops investigating the missing kids. Jan-Michael Vincent just phones in his performance as one of the cops he literally just stands in the background looking bored i know he had a lot of medical issues later on life im not sure if it was during this time and he just needed a pay cheque. Most of the kills are cut away to a blood splatter but the after effects are fun and creative like head on a cone

It looks like they were going for a sort of a comedy horror or maybe there weren't thats just how it came out not that i found it funny barring one or two one liners from Clint Howard. If you stick with it the film greatly improves in the last half an hour where the ice cream man finally cracks and starts to have a lot of fun its like Clint was able to throw off the shackles from the first hour of the film to do whatever he wanted.

One thing thats totally bizarre about this film is the kid Tuna everyone keeps calling him fat but they just have him in some sort of fat torso suit why they didnt just hire an actual fat kid is beyond me

You have to love Clint Howard always entertaining and he is the image of my neighbour only problem is its a woman

Decent film fun last half hour.
This one seems to pop up every once in a while and never really looked at it, but after your review, one I definitely need to check out. Glad you enjoyed Thinner, great acting and story line.
Nordicdusk and nicholasrope like this.
Old 7th July 2022, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kickboxer. 1989.

Eric Sloan is the heavyweight champion in Kickboxing, along with his brother Kurt they travel to Thailand to take on Tong Po. When Eric is paralyzed by Tong Po, Kurt vows revenge and trains with Xian in the old Muay Thai style fighting.

One of the good films to come out in 89 with Van Damme playing the lead role and fight choreographer which this does have a great finale scene and isn't afraid to take a beating. Dennis Chan plays the "Mr Myagi" in this and not exactly shy in testing Kurt's strength and weakness and seems to add a little comical side to things. Although it does have fighting and action, the drama side to it is played out well with great acting and direction.

KICKBOXER-1989-repro-UK-quad-film-poster-30x40.jpg
Old 7th July 2022, 08:54 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
China O'Brien II. 1990.

After busting up a big drug deal, the dealer puts out a bounty for the death of China, teaming with Matt and Dakota try stay one step ahead of the dealer and bring his enterprise down.

Cynthia Rothrock, Richard Norton and Keith Cooke return from where the previous film finished, China is still the sheriff until a escaped convict appears and wrecks havoc over the town. The fight scenes are well choreographed, Keith Cooke and Billy Blanks alley fight seemed good but was over a bit quick. Parts of the film seemed all over the place and somewhat dull and uninteresting, helped pass time away.

Attachment 240974
Loved the EIV releases back in the 80's and early 90's, certainly ripe for a collection like the Vestron ones or any UK companies
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 7th July 2022, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Kickboxer. 1989.

Eric Sloan is the heavyweight champion in Kickboxing, along with his brother Kurt they travel to Thailand to take on Tong Po. When Eric is paralyzed by Tong Po, Kurt vows revenge and trains with Xian in the old Muay Thai style fighting.

One of the good films to come out in 89 with Van Damme playing the lead role and fight choreographer which this does have a great finale scene and isn't afraid to take a beating. Dennis Chan plays the "Mr Myagi" in this and not exactly shy in testing Kurt's strength and weakness and seems to add a little comical side to things. Although it does have fighting and action, the drama side to it is played out well with great acting and direction.

Attachment 240986
Kickboxer II and III are rather good as well
Old 7th July 2022, 08:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Kickboxer II and III are rather good as well
Watching the second one now didn't realise there was 5 Kickboxer movies.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 7th July 2022, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Protector

Jackie Chan and his new partner travel to Hong Kong to rescue a kidnapped woman. I believe that this is Chan's 1st U.S. produced film and whilst it's not bad, there's certainly better out there now. It's one I'd probably would have had more love for if I had seen it back in the day.

As mentioned in one of the features on the 88 Films Blu-Ray, why was this called The Protector? also what was with the picture during Chan entering the bar at the beginning, I thought something was wrong with the Disk. Also what was the point with that gang robbing the truck at the beginning, pretty sure they were never mentioned again, oh well.

Karate Warrior

Italian version of Karate Kid (More like Karate Kid Part II) which sees a teen travel Manila and incur the wrath of the local Karate Champion. He is trained by Ken Watanabe, this also stars Janet Agren. It's definitely not aged quality wise but entertaining in the so bad, it's good.

Back in the Video Shop days, there was a distributer calld VPD, who advertised this on their Rental Release of Black Eagle, only they forgot to show it's title, so you had no idea what this was called lol.

Also this was the release that was the one that finally convinced me to get a Blu-Ray Player (as well as a House Warming Present for myself) as 88 Films weren't releasing DVD's anymore and there were plenty of titles I wanted across the different retro distributers.

Like Snuff, the story is better than the Movie.

Enter The Dragon

Bruce Lee is sent to an Island to compete in a Tournament as well as stopping a Drugs and Prostitution Ring. John Saxon, Jim Kelly and Bolo Yeung co-star in a good Movie but somehow feels like a James Bond Film.

Thor: Love & Thunder

Thor and Co attempt to stop Christian Bale from killing all the Gods. Looking forward to this one as I like the Thor Films however even though there were some funny moments, it felt kinda clunky.

I do wonder if there is a reason that we haven't seen Shang-Chi and/or Eternal crossovers yet.

Homeboy

Mickey Rouke is the Boxer with a medical condition who hooks up with a Small Time Crook played by Christopher Walken and a Fairground owner. Thought that there would be more Boxing in this Film but it's realistic for a fictional Film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tp.jpg (14.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg kw.jpg (12.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg etd.jpg (12.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg tlat.jpg (11.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg h.jpg (12.5 KB, 2 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!