Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th July 2022, 03:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

R I P James caan, only watched this a couple nights ago before he sadly passed away, great films with plenty of feel good action done right, these are the kind of films should be rereleasing to watch at the cinema, the action in this would be great to watch on a big screen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E1F0525E-5C67-4E21-ACB1-76EF47B0AFE6.jpg (81.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by gag; 8th July 2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 8th July 2022, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nude Tuesday (2022, Armagan Ballantyne)

A couple receive a trip to a retreat run by Jermaine Clement as part of a anniversary present. What transpires was reasonably funny.
Still reeling from that Cronenberg flick, so it's comedy weekend in this lair
The film's dialogue is mainly a made up "language" that may remind some of Norwegian cough. Subtitled by Julia Davis (in the UK anyhow), so there the humour lies. Some might say, how pretentious. I say, give it a chance, at least there's no Jack Whitehall cameo
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th July 2022, 06:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kickboxer: Retaliation. 2018.

A year after defeating Tong Po, Kurt wins a MMA fight in Las Vegas, he is drugged and sent to a prison in Bangkok to face a murder trial. While there he is given a choice by a fight promoter face fighter Monkut, if he wins he will receive his freedom and $1 miilion dollars or stay in prison.

Alain Moussi returns to the role of Kurt who seems happy at his win then thrown into jail and is met by another inmate Briggs played by Mike Tyson who doesn't like his meditation to be interrupted. Christopher Lambert plays the promoter Thomas Moore who really doesn't fit the villain type. JCVD returns as the now blind Durand and mentor who along with Brings train Kurt more harder to fight off Hafthor Julius Bjornsson in a fight. This was a good sequel, bits in between seem to drag on but the fight is better choreographed in this and Moussi's acting improved a bit more than the previous film.

220px-Kickboxer_Retaliation.jpg
Old 8th July 2022, 08:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Who Framed Roger Rabbit. 1988.

A private investigator and who hates toons, is the only person cartoon character Roger Rabbit can turn to for help when he is accused of murder.

I got no idea what made me return to this film, I haven't seen it in ages, this is like a lot of films we enjoyed from Disney, a mix of live action with cartoon that director Robert Zemeckis was able to ring to the screen with a very large budget at the time.

Bob Hoskins plays the hard drinking private detective Eddie Valiant who hates toons and we soon know why is paid by cartoon producer R.K. Maroon played by Alan Tilvern to spy and take pictures of Jessica Rabbit voiced by Kathleen Turner playing "Pattycake with Toontown owner Marvin Acme played by Stubby Kaye.

Christopher Lloyd plays the local Judge, Lloyd's performance can be good and terrifying at the same time when his true character shows, talk about giving kids nightmares for life. This was one of those films I worn out on VHS and probably the dvd as well at some point. After not watching it for a while I forgot how funny it can be.

who-framed-roger-rabbit-poster.jpg
Old 8th July 2022, 10:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Seytan. 1974.

Got no idea why I searched for this one, this is the Turkish version of The Exorcist, Beyond The Door got hammered by Warner Bros yet this one is near word for word, scene by scene imitation and never got touched, the classic gave us Captain Howdy, this one gave us Captain Lersen. the famous Tubular Bells is played throughout the who film, guess they couldn't get Fantasia For Strings? This is very low budget as you can tell by the cheap camera use, the bed jumping scene was just too hilarious to take seriously, but at least we got mushy peas instead of pea soup.

44489_1_front.jpg
Old 9th July 2022, 01:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Police Story. 1985.

The first of the Police Story series by Jackie Chan, the plot is simple, the police want a crime boss and attempt to arrest him, corrupt paid off lawyer gets him away as a free man and then the mobster frames the cop for a crime and his secretary who is under police witness protection. After the first five minutes it's not stop action with Jackie doing some of his best stunts right to the end from hanging onto a bus with a umbrella to sliding down a pole getting electrocuted.

MV5BMTY5MTk1MTE5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk5NDkyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 9th July 2022, 08:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brian & Charles (2022, Jim Archer)

Was impressed with the short that inspired this film, so gave this a go. Reasonably gentle humour.
An inventor finds friendship when he builds a robot
Just don't go expecting Maximillian
The writing could have been a tad more creative, but for a first attempt fair play. Recommended if you loved Detectorists etc ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 9th July 2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 9th July 2022, 01:27 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965)

The first of the Amicus anthology films and one of the best. Largely great with it's scenarios - the killer vines, Christopher Lee and the severed hand - but the Roy Castle voodoo one i always find a slog.

Ends brilliantly as we discover who Peter Cushing really is.

The Screenbound blu-ray, restored by Pinewood Film Studios in 4K, is absolutely stunning in it's picture quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20e3561d0cb3c32813c9a63ff21bb4a4.jpg (90.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 9th July 2022, 02:00 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965)

The first of the Amicus anthology films and one of the best. Largely great with it's scenarios - the killer vines, Christopher Lee and the severed hand - but the Roy Castle voodoo one i always find a slog.

Ends brilliantly as we discover who Peter Cushing really is.

The Screenbound blu-ray, restored by Pinewood Film Studios in 4K, is absolutely stunning in it's picture quality.

The two docs on that disc are really good too!

For the record I quite like the voodoo one actually.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th July 2022, 02:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
The two docs on that disc are really good too!

For the record I quite like the voodoo one actually.
I'm saving the docs for during the week as filler. I have seen the Nucleus hour long doc as it was on Screenbound's dvd but not he Lee one.

As much as i like jazz i do find the long sections of Roy Castle playing in the club slows the segment down to a standstill.

Like this? Share it using the links below!