Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2022, 11:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well I'll be sleeping with the lights on tonight , after all these years this film still scares the crap out of me. Damn you Zelda and creepy dead toddler attacking Herman Munster.
Old 12th November 2022, 12:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Well I'll be sleeping with the lights on tonight , after all these years this film still scares the crap out of me. Damn you Zelda and creepy dead toddler attacking Herman Munster.
Remember to check under your bed Treb
Old 12th November 2022, 12:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Poseidon Adventure. 1972.

After a cruise ship is hit by a 90ft tidal wave and flipped over, a mix band of people journey through the ship to find a way to escape the sinking ship.

Only thing outdated this film is the clothes, very old school special effects, plenty of sarcasm that at times can give out a snigger or two and nice put in tense moments. Gene Hackman plays the reverend who leads some to safety while along the way bickering with Ernest Borgnine and his wife Stella Stevens. There is good acting and a lot of effort of being strangers to arguementive along the way. Jack Albertson and Shelley Winters play the couple who are heading to Israel. Pamela Sue Martin and Eric Shea play the siblings who are travelling alone and have the sibling arguments.

From start to finish this has always been a great film and gives you characters that you do feel sympathy for, along the way everytime the survivors hit a certain new area of the ship something happens.

movie-poster-the-poseidon-adventure-1972-T014A2.jpg
Old 12th November 2022, 03:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Beyond The Poseidon Adventure. 1979.

Two rival salvage parties head to the Poseidon with a chance of looting but come across more survivors, hidden cache of gold, money and plutonium.

Michael Caine is the captain of the small tugboat who is sailing the seven seas in rough weather on the same night the tidal wave hit the poseidon. How come his boat never hit a tidal wave? Oh yeah thats right..he's Michael Caine. Karl Malden is Caine's first mate who brings Sally Field along who does become annoying, she is a good actress but her character at times needs a slap. Telly Savalas is the Greek Svevo who has different intentions of being on board the Poseidon.

Don't know if its just me but this had very little suspense or tension in this than the first film and a lot of actors with good talent wasted in this. Irwin Allen took to the directors chair for the film and at times feels like did we really need a sequel to a original classic?

MV5BY2I4NjVhOTYtOWMyYS00NWMwLTkwZWItYTEzYWUwNWU4ZmJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.jpg
Old 12th November 2022, 05:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lockout. 2014.

A man wrongly convicted to commit conspiracy is offered his freedom to rescue the President's daughter from a outer space prison.

Maggie Grace need rescuing again this time its not Liam Neeson but a sarcastic Guy Pearce, from a original idea from John Carpenter who sued for plagiarism against Luc Besson for similarities to a classic 80s film and its sequel. Yeah it has the laughs and a seriously unhinged prisoner and a guy from the secret service that seriously needs a good whack across the face. Its not the best action/thriller but certainly not the worst.

Lockout_film_poster.jpg
Old 12th November 2022, 01:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE LOBSTER – Colin Farrell arrives at a seaside resort where singletons are given an ultimatum – pair up or be transformed into an animal of one’s choosing. Farrell’s brother once failed in similar efforts and has now made a sorry return in the form of his pet dog. ‘The Lobster’ is from Yorgos Lanthimos, director of ‘Dogtooth’ and ‘The Killing Of A Sacred Deer’. Like those films, it brings detached, Haneke-like tones to a scenario full of rampant social dysfunction. JG Ballard’s dictum about ‘the death of affect’ seems tailor-made for the population of Farrell’s hotel, where any of the guests might remind you of Kraftwerk’s showroom dummies as they queue to have their boundaries trampled in scenes that often strain for maximum queasiness – room service seems to include chamber maid-enforced dry-humping. The way the characters taIk, it’s like listening to emotionally constipated toddlers, and it’s grating, enough to push the viewer out at times, or at least that was true for me. But sometimes the awkwardness gets rivetingly painful, as is the case when Olivia Coleman does an onstage duet accompanied by the most depressing holiday resort cabaret band this side of Skeggie. On the other hand, the sang-froid elegance of ‘The Lobster’s aesthetic conjures an eeriness that has you absorbed before you realise it’s crept up on you, one reason why the film is so hypnotic. Eventually Farrell escapes the hotel to join a rebellious group of self-described ‘loners’ in a nearby forest, where he and Rachel Weisz find love but don’t really know what to do with it. A blackly comedic dystopian fairy tale that will make you wince as you look on admiringly.

THE NIGHT HOUSE – A teacher struggles to make sense of her husband’s suicide. What was he up to, besides that and a lot of really strange DIY? Maybe a question better left, especially if you’re Rebecca Hall and have just ended up on your own in a big house by a lake in the middle of a vast forest. ‘The Night House’ adopts the look and feel of much recent high-end genre product – spectral palette, measured pace, a sense of inhabiting its own angst in a way that signals refinement… it’s not hard to see where it’s coming from. There are some obvious and hackneyed moves that could almost key it as an upmarket variant of the kind of stuff that served as multiplex fodder a decade ago (the supernatural glut that came along after ‘Insidious’ et al), but the bottom line is, ‘The Night House’ really works. Its two main assets are its atmosphere and its performances. A feeling of constant, rolling menace is just about the hardest thing in horror cinema to pull off, but ‘The Night House’ mostly does that. After a certain point a twilit mood descends, and unease grows with each passing scene. Even the jump scares are very well crafted and thoughtful, particularly one sequence that blends seamlessly into a scary dream and back. It’s in the camerawork, the setting, but probably the main reason the film stays so tonally focussed is the great Rebecca Hall. Here, she puts in a very wintry turn as the teacher dealing with all the loss and abandonment of a sudden death, as well as the strange questions that start to gather in the aftermath. Pretty excellent overall, I thought. Many seem to think the ending was obscure and perhaps slightly fumbled in some way - I partly agree but don’t really care, and anyway it’s not the main reason to watch ‘The Night House.’ Recommended.
Old 12th November 2022, 05:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

I fancied a feel-good film last night so opted for The Devil's Rejects.

The skill of director Rob Zombie is truly at work here has he weaves a kind of magic that makes us in the second half of the film both root and care for the repulsive remnants of the Firefly clan (Captain Spaulding, Baby and Otis) first seen in his debut feature House of 1000 Corpses (2003).

Despite a truly repellent first hour in which the three hold captive four country singers at a remote motel and brutalize them purely for the hell of it (Some of the stuff they do i'm surprised it got past the BBFC unscathed in the UK) however what follows is somewhat surprising as they basically get whats coming to them thanks to an equally vile sheriff played by William Forsyth in some unflinching acts of torture and as the three escape across country to the strains of Skynyrd's Free Bird we are practically cheering until that bittersweet final moment as the car they are traveling in is showered with bullets.

It's even more bittersweet with the end credits dedication to Matthew McGrory who played Tiny Firefly who passed away shortly after this film was made and yet Zombie actually makes it seem uplifting thanks to an incredible lengthy tracking shot of open country roads as Terry Reid's Seed of Memory mesmerizes the ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51jRNY28yBL.jpg (63.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 12th November 2022, 07:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Raiders Of The Lost Ark. 1981.

Archaeology professor Indiana Jones sets out to find a biblical artefact The Ark Of Covenant and go against his enemy who is teamed up with Nazis.

41 years old and this film still be remembered for a few things, Harrison Ford being good with a whip, a guy showing off his skills with a sword till he gets shot and he face melting scene. Nice feel good Saturday afternoon/evening flick.

MV5BNTU2ODkyY2MtMjU1NC00NjE1LWEzYjgtMWQ3MzRhMTE0NDc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM4MzQ4OTQ@._V1_.jpg
Old 12th November 2022, 07:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A animation of the death of superman comic run , a lot of stuff had to be let out as the whole story ran for multiple issues in multiple comics but main story is here. While not on par with the comics it's still enjoyable and far better than DC previous animated effort.

Now watching after creepy Zelda and the toddler from hell needed something more uplifting and lighthearted.

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th November 2022 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12th November 2022, 07:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Raiders Of The Lost Ark. 1981.

41 years old and this film still be remembered for a few things, Harrison Ford being good with a whip, a guy showing off his skills with a sword till he gets shot and he face melting scene.
It's mainly remembered because it's f*cking brilliant!

Like this? Share it using the links below!