All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2022, 05:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I'll just say by other means , was a German digibook blu ray released with that version but it's long out of print.
Hope you enjoy it
Old 1st August 2022, 06:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Hope you enjoy it
Always liked needful things but never seen this version , someone should release it over here.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 1st August 2022, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. 1964.

A insane General Ripper of a American air base orders a attack on a Soviet base, while members in the war room at the Pentagon try to stop it.

Another Stanley kubrick classic film that no matter how many times you watch it, this film still brings a laugh with Peter Sellers playing three roles as Group Captain to Sterling Hayden's insane General Ripper, The President who seems to have a close relationship to Russia's Premiere Dimitri and German Dr. Strangelove who is wheelchair bound and thanks his Fuhrer that he can walk.

George C Scott plays the hard talking and trying to be serious General who seems to b quick with some comebacks and smart remarks and temperamental about letting foreigners in to the war room and see the big board, which his instincts tell him that he may be right.

The film does have it's moment of long sequences that shows how good the older generation of actors are performing without breaking a sweat and show what good classic acting is all about.

drstrangelove.jpg
Old 1st August 2022, 06:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Always liked needful things but never seen this version , someone should release it over here.
Been praying for ages that it would happen
Old 1st August 2022, 11:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Legacy Of Rage. 1986.

Brandon is just like any other average guy working his way through life, his friend Michael is a drug pusher. When Michael kills a corrupt cop and frames Brandon, he sent down for 8 years. Brandon is released and sets out for revenge.

This is Brandon Lee's second movie and made in Hong Kong that is really badly dubbed, there is a very short Brandon and Bolo alley fight that last's seconds so you can guess who got their ass kicked. The action is decent and the plot line does take it's time building up with a good finale. Brandon was reportedly to have said he was reluctant to do this film as he may not be up to the reputation his late father had, he definitely lived up to it.

Legacy_of_Rage.jpg
Old 2nd August 2022, 02:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blue Thunder. 1983.

Police helicopter pilot Frank Murphy is asked to be a test pilot for a new high-tech helicopter "Blue Thunder". He soon learns there is more to the helicopter than aiding in police tactics.

When movies had real stunts and actors actually flying helicopters were the good old days, Roy Scheider plays Frank Murphy and teamed with rookie Lymangood played by a young Daniel Stern as the test pilot and navigator while Malcolm McDowell plays the sociopath Col. Cochrane whom has a past with With Murphy. There is some good tense moments and a nice cat and mouse chase towards the end and good acting. Helped pass by some time.

bluethunder.jpg

Have a swell Tuesday all.
Old 2nd August 2022, 09:01 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Dr. Strangelove is one of my all-time favourite films, one that stands up to repeated viewings and always makes me laugh. In my opinion, it's amongst the greatest films ever made.

It's cleverly written, beautifully designed and directed, and superbly acted by the A-list cast (Peter Sellers gives one of his finest performances, or perhaps three of his finest performances in this).

I think it's brilliant that Slim Pickens thought he was in a serious film, acting as if he was in a Cold War thriller, making the Major Kong (originally written for Sellers, who couldn't do it because of an ankle injury) even funnier.

It's incredible to think that the scenario it depicted was entirely possible and the film was so accurate that it led to a change in the Pentagon and USAF so no one person could trigger nuclear war.

So much of it has entered popular culture, from Homer riding a bomb in The Simpsons to CRM 114 appearing in Back to the Future to Depeche Mode's song Strangelove and Muse using the 'war room' design in their video for Time Is Running Out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRM 114.jpg (38.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Homer Simpson Dr Strangelove.jpg (57.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 2nd August 2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Sadistic Baron Von Klaus (1962)

This dreary Jess Franco film concerns an Austrian legend about a ghostly Baron who supposedly rises from the swamps and murders women. When real murders are discovered, the local police immediately suspect Baron Von Klaus's relative (Howard Vernon) who resides in a spooky old mansion on the edge of the swamp.

An early Franco Gothic which is downright boring during it's first two thirds, he clearly had no eye for atmosphere at this stage in his career and it's tedious in the extreme until the final reels which do improve but the journey to the finale is somewhat like sitting on the A2 for six hours trying to get to Dover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baron-Von-Klaus-5.jpg (68.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 2nd August 2022, 12:47 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Dr. Strangelove is one of my all-time favourite films, one that stands up to repeated viewings and always makes me laugh. In my opinion, it's amongst the greatest films ever made.

It's cleverly written, beautifully designed and directed, and superbly acted by the A-list cast (Peter Sellers gives one of his finest performances, or perhaps three of his finest performances in this).

It's incredible to think that the scenario it depicted was entirely possible and the film was so accurate that it led to a change in the Pentagon and USAF so no one person could trigger nuclear war.

Apparently the entire phone call was improvised by Peter Sellers

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd August 2022, 05:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the extend edition , it's been years since I've watched the original version so don't know what differences they have been but from what I remember it feels more complete giving more background to the characters . We have a great cast of familiar faces but it's Max Von Sydow who stands out as the sinster Leland Gaunt.

We have the usual characters who always seem to have some dark secret , the usual religious weirdo and hero with a dark secret of their own. Reading and watching Kings work makes Maine the last place you would every want too visit!

Now watching

Like this? Share it using the links below!