Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2023, 06:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Red Spell Spells Red (1983, Titus Ho)

When a film crew blunder about in an ancient tomb, guess what they unleash? It's not Caspar
This one. Whilst it is fairly crazed on the whole, there is also a whole lot of animal cruelty, and if you ain't fond of scorpions .... forewarned and all that.

Sex Wish (1976, Milton Vikkers)

Well, I found a film that made Water Power seem tasteful and demure.
Easily the least "erotic" flick that I've ever seen
Welcome To New York. The folk here are real friendly, but since space is an issue, we'll skip over the formalities and get down to business.

This was quite the night. Plenty of meat on show and that. Tonight may be tamer, it couldn't be worse .... could it?
Literally had to wash after it.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd March 2023, 06:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Always enjoyed this from seeing it years ago on VHS, a priest who has survived being throwing out a 17 story window is giving comission of church , which the last few priests had been ritualistically murdered , he gets involved in the life of a waitress at a satanic club soon disturbing and gruesome things start happening which the church says is the work of a demon which the priest doesn't believe but soon changes his mind.

It's a very enjoyable horror with some tense moments and good kills and gore.
I watched this last year with the Mrs, its one horror film that she never talked through or asked what was happening, seems now its one of her favourites.
Old 22nd March 2023, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lavalantula. 2015.

Taking a look at the title you know what to expect, even with the film being shown on SyFy/Horror (before it became HorrorXtra) channel that I somehow missed. The film re-unites Steve Gutenberg with Marion Ramsay and Michael Winslow, Leslie Easterbrook does show up in a small cameo role, you know this will be a comedy.

I must have blinked and missed how the spiders became involved in the volcanic eruption that mutated them and became fire breathing spiders (no you didn't read it wrong they spit fire balls). As with most creature features these days expect the spiders to look great and amazing...who am I kidding they are CGI created. Good for its laughs and small in joke to Sharknado.

MV5BMjEzMTY5OTEzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzgwODM2NTE@._V1_.jpg
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Exists (2014)

From Eduardo Sanchez co-writer and director of The Blair Witch Project, Exists is yet more found footage tomfoolery.

However unlike most films of this ilk, Exists is pretty good. It's story about a group of friends who travel deep into the remote Texas woods to stay at a cabin, belonging to one of their fathers, for a wild weekend of debauchery, is nothing new, in fact it borders on cliché. Where Exists and Sanchez redeem their selves is in the 'found footage'.

Thankfully we get to see what the group are up against early doors - Bigfoot - albeit in shaky footage, but it piques your interest and the fact Bigfoot features in the film constantly is definitely a bonus.

The end result is a decently creepy film with good Bigfoot costumes and make up and some scarily effective set pieces. All in all Exists is definitely one of the better Bigfoot movies out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exists_Movie_Poster.jpg (23.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 23rd March 2023, 01:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Forbidden Wolrd. 1982.

Roger Corman strikes again with a low budget film that rips off Alien, there is some decent gore and we do see the alien puke up. The dialogue is a laugh and not the best even with the two female leads that sound like they are going to have their first lesbian experience rather than go alien hunting. There is some re-used stock footage for the space ship fight and plenty of flashing images, though this film is still entertaining after so many watches.

images (1).jpg
Old 23rd March 2023, 04:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched the Dario Argento Italian cut of Romero's Martin, had never seen it before. Italian dvd without english subtitles but because I watched the new Martin blu-ray earlier this week, my wife and I didn't miss subtitles. It was very interesting. I knew this cut was shorter but what surprised me was how out of sequence much of it was (compared to the US cut).

Another surprise was that there was around ten minutes of exclusive Goblin music, for years I had been under the impression that there would just be an exclusive ninety second track at the end. Talking of Goblin, there should is a lot of them in this version, it's almost similar to an eighty minute music video. Luckily I very much like their music. Fascinating afternoon watch.
Old 23rd March 2023, 05:33 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Just watched the Dario Argento Italian cut of Romero's Martin, had never seen it before. Italian dvd without english subtitles but because I watched the new Martin blu-ray earlier this week, my wife and I didn't miss subtitles. It was very interesting. I knew this cut was shorter but what surprised me was how out of sequence much of it was (compared to the US cut).

Another surprise was that there was around ten minutes of exclusive Goblin music, for years I had been under the impression that there would just be an exclusive ninety second track at the end. Talking of Goblin, there should is a lot of them in this version, it's almost similar to an eighty minute music video. Luckily I very much like their music. Fascinating afternoon watch.
Over the years I've started to prefer this version of the film which is kind of crazy to say haha. I like the snappier pace and the pounding soundtrack, but it's pretty serious as anything remotely funny in the Romero version is taken away.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd March 2023, 05:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Youngblood. 1986.

Rob Lowe plays the young farm hand who has ambitions of being a hockey player and is snapped up by a scout to try for the Canadian Hamilton Mustangs.

You don't need to be a fan of ice hockey to enjoy this little number from the 80s, with Patrick Swayze as the team mate who is a bit cocky and ends up feeling the end of the stick from opponent George Finn. Ed Lauter is the tough but fair team coach who's daughter Cynthia Gibb has a crush on the new team member. As much as this is a good sports film and decent acting adds up to the small drama mixed in to make it entertaining.

s-l1600.jpg
Old 23rd March 2023, 08:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Concorde Affaire. 1979.

After a Concorde jet crashes, a journalist believes it was sabotage and goes in search for answers only to find the stewardess had survived the crash.

I'm sure it be no surprise that the Italians jumped on the band wagon for disaster movies and made this one that was released around the same time as Airport: Concorde was released in America.

James Fransiscus plays the investigative journalist who believes someone is sabotaging the Concorde airlines in order to eliminate the compition to flying the friendly skies. Mimsy Farmer plays the French stewardess who hold the answers on how to save the next Concorde before it meets a similar fate.

Ruggero Deodatto does manage to bring some entertainment to the screen, the effects are not the best and seem to be stock footage from another film. There is a nice scuba underwater sequence that leads to a good chase and small street shootout, it's not a masterpiece but it's certainly worth a watch.

MV5BMDNlYTUwMWMtMWYxNS00ZmVkLWE2YWYtOTE4MjA3OWRjYjc2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDYzNTI2ODc@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 23rd March 2023, 09:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Livide (2011)

A cracking follow up to Inside (2007) from French directors Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo.

A film which fore goes the visceral punishing terror of that film and instead plays out like a twisted fairy tale from the Brothers Grimm with all the sick shit left in.

Most definitely influenced by Dario Argento, specifically Suspiria (1977) and 1980's Inferno, Livide is a haunting dream like film set in an old dark house populated by a decrepit witch like vampire and the veiled corpses of ballerinas.

Livide is strange, unnerving and deliciously bloody. I loved this when it first came out and think i love it even more now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Livid_Poster.jpg (20.6 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!