Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2023, 01:46 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

FREEWAY – Reese Witherspoon is a foulmouthed hick whose ‘can do / f*ck you’ attitude is basically meant to seem quite charming; Kiefer Sutherland is, well, just a nasty c*nt in a car. On a freeway. When Reese hitches out of town, ‘Freeway’ mutates into a strange odyssey loosely based on ‘Little Red Riding Hood’. The presence of those players should indicate to you that it’s a relatively mainstream affair, and it’s true that ‘Freeway’ demonstrates sufficient restraint in dealing with decidedly creepy subject matter. But it has a really grubby, dark edge, the kind that was alive in nineties cinema, even in stuff like Tarantino, just that kind of cynicism bordering on nihilism. I didn’t catch it at the time, but here it is on blu ray from VS, and I highly recommend.
Not seen this since i owned it on vhs.

If my mind is working properly weren't there a few weird style road movies that came out around the time? SFW? , Kalifornia, Love and a 45 and such like?
Old 15th April 2023, 01:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not seen this since i owned it on vhs.

If my mind is working properly weren't there a few weird style road movies that came out around the time? SFW? , Kalifornia, Love and a 45 and such like?
A lot of them in the shadow of NBK. I suppose 'Freeway' is too a bit, and again there's that almost throwaway callousness you wouldn't really expect nowadays.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th April 2023, 01:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I need to see The Haunting of Hill House. Only owned it for two and a half years.
I thought it was an excellent piece of work. The follow up, The Haunting of Bly Manor just didn't work for me though, just overly confused and confusing. Midnight Mass is good though. I just checked IMDB and I see Flanagan has turned his attention to Poe's, Fall of the House of Usher. Definitely interested to check that out.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 15th April 2023, 01:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
A lot of them in the shadow of NBK. I suppose 'Freeway' is too a bit, and again there's that almost throwaway callousness you wouldn't really expect nowadays.
Happy days though.

Far better than the constant deluge of superhero stuff we get nowadays.

Is there even any genre cinema being made in Hollywood anymore?
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th April 2023, 02:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Happy days though.

Far better than the constant deluge of superhero stuff we get nowadays.

Is there even any genre cinema being made in Hollywood anymore?
Oh yeah, for sure. I think there was a more abrasive attitude back then, a willingness to just bear witness to human ugliness and not feel a need to dress it up in platitudes. But maybe that's just retrospective bias. Either way, I could imagine something like 'Freeway' and a lot of those nineties films being made today, but they'd do it so differently.
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 15th April 2023, 02:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Oh yeah, for sure. I think there was a more abrasive attitude back then, a willingness to just bear witness to human ugliness and not feel a need to dress it up in platitudes. But maybe that's just retrospective bias. Either way, I could imagine something like 'Freeway' and a lot of those nineties films being made today, but they'd do it so differently.
I used to also own the unrelated sequel Confessions of a Trick Baby but can't remember a thing about it.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 15th April 2023, 02:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I used to also own the unrelated sequel Confessions of a Trick Baby but can't remember a thing about it.
Same here. It ended up in a bag in someone's loft after a house move... been toying with the idea of getting it back so I can decide whether to shell out on the upgrade, but I don;t think I'll bother, there's way too much stuff coming out all the time now and I can't really keep up. I do have a vague recollection of not being overly fussed when I saw it, which might be enough for me to go on for now.
Old 15th April 2023, 03:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Last Man Down. 2021.

After a pandemic nearly wipes out the population, a former mercenary now living as hermit is drawn into battle against his former colleagues after a woman arrives at his cabin.

Another post Covid film as people are seen wearing masks in this, after the good start which is shown in flash backs of how Daniel Stisten's character John became a hermit is decently made then it goes a bit pear shaped. How he had accumulated all his weapons is a mystery,a squad don't come back and then second squad move in and then a third...bad decision. Olga Kent plays the survivor of a base camp experiment and learns quickly how to fight which she is a good student. The shoot out scenes are decent with a upbeat version of In The Hall Of The Mountain King played in the background. Not the best action flick but entertaining enough.

MV5BZTE1MzkwZTktMDhlNC00ZDhiLWFhN2EtNjFhMzI5MDNmNjg0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyOTAzOTk@._V1_.jpg
Old 15th April 2023, 04:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Last Man Down. 2021.

After a pandemic nearly wipes out the population, a former mercenary now living as hermit is drawn into battle against his former colleagues after a woman arrives at his cabin.

Another post Covid film as people are seen wearing masks in this, after the good start which is shown in flash backs of how Daniel Stisten's character John became a hermit is decently made then it goes a bit pear shaped. How he had accumulated all his weapons is a mystery,a squad don't come back and then second squad move in and then a third...bad decision. Olga Kent plays the survivor of a base camp experiment and learns quickly how to fight which she is a good student. The shoot out scenes are decent with a upbeat version of In The Hall Of The Mountain King played in the background. Not the best action flick but entertaining enough.

Attachment 245759

Noted! He was in that The Siege etc.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th April 2023, 05:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Noted! He was in that The Siege etc.
Just checked the trailer, looks good thanks so on the hunt for it, thank you Demon
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!