Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179658Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2021, 09:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Became a old man the moment I turned 30, it's just gotten worse each year!
Is that what I'm getting into as off next year

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 31st May 2021, 09:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Is that what I'm getting into as off next year

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
then give two years Shaun then you will see the grey hairs coming through
Old 31st May 2021, 10:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
then give two years Shaun then you will see the grey hairs coming through
What like these, all mine due to stress related from ppl over the yrs

It’s not general stood up just wife messing around with my hair.
Grey as £uck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87291EEA-D496-4098-A5D6-7E607FE56927.jpg (96.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 31st May 2021, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)

In a way i was surprised how much i still loved this watching the new Blu-Ray last night. Even though it's tongue is firmly in cheek there's no way anyone would attempt this film today.

Most of it still works beautifully, the sexual innuendo is stronger than i remembered, and all the funnier for it. Austin's first line when meeting Elizabeth Hurley's Dr. Kensington was a peach "My god, Vanessa's got a fabulous body... I bet she shags like a minx..." however telling Japanese henchman Random Task (A nice play on Bond's Odd Job) that " You fight like a woman!" would no doubt have social media do-gooders up in arms until the next thing to judge came along.

Mike Myers is infectious as both Austin and evil nemesis Dr. Evil and rightly became a worldwide phenomenon at the time of the three movies. Of the other cast members Hurley really can't act to save her life but gets by because she, well because of what Austin said of her earlier in the review and Will Ferrell as Mustafa overdoes it just like Ferrell always does.

Twenty four years on Austin Powers remains a fast paced and very funny film that because of the movies it's sending up remains in my opinion relevant to this day. It's crazy dialogue will stay in your head for days after.

Thankfully the new blu-ray is the European cut of the film, longer, racier and including the 'Henchmen aftermath" and Christian Slater scenes. It's also a lot better looking than the dvd version and doesn't replicate the poor picture quality indicated in reviews of earlier releases in HD. There is however a sequence of around fifteen minutes where the dialogue is out of sync with the picture. It's particularly noticeable in one scene but less so the rest of the time.

For £7 i was delighted with this release. Hopefully sequel The Spy Who Shagged Me will turn up soon.
Old 1st June 2021, 03:25 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
What like these, all mine due to stress related from ppl over the yrs

It’s not general stood up just wife messing around with my hair.
Grey as £uck
It's not grey - it's 'distinguished'
MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st June 2021, 10:40 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Evil Dead II (1987)

Bonkers follow up / remake of the original Evil Dead by director Sam Raimi and star Bruce Campbell. Horror comedy at it's finest beginning during the first few minutes and never letting up until the earth shattering finale. Madcap gory mayhem from first to last.

Watched on BD for the first time and it looks superb, as if it were shot yesterday.
Old 1st June 2021, 01:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)

Most of it still works beautifully, the sexual innuendo is stronger than i remembered, and all the funnier for it. Austin's first line when meeting Elizabeth Hurley's Dr. Kensington was a peach "My god, Vanessa's got a fabulous body... I bet she shags like a minx..." however telling Japanese henchman Random Task (A nice play on Bond's Odd Job) that " You fight like a woman!" would no doubt have social media do-gooders up in arms until the next thing to judge came along.
I'm not so certain that would be the case since there is a running joke about how out of touch Austin Powers is and how much things have changed since he was frozen.

There might be a bit more scorn of his sexist and offensive comments, but I think they would still be considered suitable for a film about someone who is, in effect, a time traveller.

It's a film I really like but only own the DVD releases of the three Austin Powers films. As the Blu-ray is as good as you say, I'm going to increase International Man of Mystery's priority in my wish list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
It's not grey - it's 'distinguished'
Isn't that what Billy Connolly said about his willy when his pubes went grey? He said that, in a certain light, it looked like Stewart Granger.
Old 1st June 2021, 02:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Exorcist: The Beginning. 2004.

A fallen priest and archaeologist Lancaster Merrin is sent to Africa to help with a dig of a church buried within the sands and rediscovers his faith.

This had a interesting build up, from the massacre and surviving priest in a battle field of Africa then jump to 1950s Merrin sitting in a bar in Cairo with little will and drinking sent to Nairobi. Renny Harlin managed to make the site of the dig feel ominous at the first glance to the point is it the land that's haunted or the church, I do admire him adding in some blink and miss it moments which is what William Friedkin done in 1973. A lot of people prefer Dominion over this version but I prefer this version as it does seem more haunting and atmospheric.

p32095_p_v10_aa.jpg

Is The T.V. series any good? noticed it was on prime
Old 1st June 2021, 02:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Exorcist: The Beginning. 2004.

A fallen priest and archaeologist Lancaster Merrin is sent to Africa to help with a dig of a church buried within the sands and rediscovers his faith.

This had a interesting build up, from the massacre and surviving priest in a battle field of Africa then jump to 1950s Merrin sitting in a bar in Cairo with little will and drinking sent to Nairobi. Renny Harlin managed to make the site of the dig feel ominous at the first glance to the point is it the land that's haunted or the church, I do admire him adding in some blink and miss it moments which is what William Friedkin done in 1973. A lot of people prefer Dominion over this version but I prefer this version as it does seem more haunting and atmospheric.

Attachment 233703

Is The T.V. series any good? noticed it was on prime
Tv series was excellent and best thing since the first movie.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 1st June 2021, 02:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not so certain that would be the case since there is a running joke about how out of touch Austin Powers is and how much things have changed since he was frozen.

There might be a bit more scorn of his sexist and offensive comments, but I think they would still be considered suitable for a film about someone who is, in effect, a time traveller.
Sorry i was referring to if it were made today. Some would be deeply offended i'm sure, as they have nothing better to do.

Like this? Share it using the links below!