Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2023, 06:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. 1994.

Hand on heart the 1931 version I do have a soft spot for and The Horror Of Frankenstein certainly is a entertaining version, I first saw this when it came out on VHS thanks to my dad and I couldn't take to it, I found it too long and dull, 30 years later and my attitude towards this has changed.

Kenneth Branagh is a amazing actor and director especially with Henry V, watching him go from a historic king to a mad doctor can be laughable. It does build up the character especially with his mother saying about his thirst for knowledge and meeting with John Cleese's character and begging to see his notes on his previous work shows how far the character of Victor's quest for knowledge will go. Tom Hulce plays the new friend who gives out some laughs as he wants to explore anatomy and then faints in class but also has the serious side when he tries to stop Victor in making another abomination. Helen Bonham Carter plays the adopted sister/lover and yet I found her portrayal of the character a bit annoying. Screen legend Robert De Niro as the creature is amazing, he is reborn as something else, rejected, thinks he has found happiness with the blind man only to be abandoned, looking for a mate that doesn't quite work out and then becomes abandoned again. De Niro manages to create a character that we should find hideous yet after going face to face with his creator we end up feeling sad for him.

The set design is appreciated in Victors lab, when we see the attic space for the first time and hearing he will have scientific stuff arriving so we know that will be his inventing/creating room. On the night Victor is planning his quest to bring back life, with the background score and him running about does bring some excitement as to how he will do it and manages to create his own electricity without relying on mother nature. Only thing puzzles me and yeah spoiler ahead when Elizabeth is brought back and is running through the house in flames, did the stunt woman intentionally or unintentionally smack her face into the wall??? I will definitely return to this again.

MV5BOWNjMGQ2NTYtNWZlMS00Nzk4LWE5ZDQtNWFhZDk0ZWM3ODc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 26th April 2023, 06:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. 1994.

Hand on heart the 1931 version I do have a soft spot for and The Horror Of Frankenstein certainly is a entertaining version, I first saw this when it came out on VHS thanks to my dad and I couldn't take to it, I found it too long and dull, 30 years later and my attitude towards this has changed.

Kenneth Branagh is a amazing actor and director especially with Henry V, watching him go from a historic king to a mad doctor can be laughable. It does build up the character especially with his mother saying about his thirst for knowledge and meeting with John Cleese's character and begging to see his notes on his previous work shows how far the character of Victor's quest for knowledge will go. Tom Hulce plays the new friend who gives out some laughs as he wants to explore anatomy and then faints in class but also has the serious side when he tries to stop Victor in making another abomination. Helen Bonham Carter plays the adopted sister/lover and yet I found her portrayal of the character a bit annoying. Screen legend Robert De Niro as the creature is amazing, he is reborn as something else, rejected, thinks he has found happiness with the blind man only to be abandoned, looking for a mate that doesn't quite work out and then becomes abandoned again. De Niro manages to create a character that we should find hideous yet after going face to face with his creator we end up feeling sad for him.

The set design is appreciated in Victors lab, when we see the attic space for the first time and hearing he will have scientific stuff arriving so we know that will be his inventing/creating room. On the night Victor is planning his quest to bring back life, with the background score and him running about does bring some excitement as to how he will do it and manages to create his own electricity without relying on mother nature. Only thing puzzles me and yeah spoiler ahead when Elizabeth is brought back and is running through the house in flames, did the stunt woman intentionally or unintentionally smack her face into the wall??? I will definitely return to this again.

Attachment 245949
I love Kens take on this classic tale.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 26th April 2023, 07:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

A history professor and his wife entertain a young couple who are new to the university's faculty. As the drinks flow, secrets come to light, and the middle-aged couple unload onto their guests the full force of the bitterness, dysfunction, and animosity that defines their relationship.

What an incredible film this is. Two hours of talk fly by like the most breath taking of action movies. Both Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton are sensational, thankfully George Segal and Sandy Dennis are skilled enough not to get swamped in their punishing acting masterclass.

Taylor in particular, she won a Best Actress Oscar for her role, is ferocious, so much so that she stripped the paper from my walls with her verbal savagery as she and real life husband Burton, spit malicious bile at one another across their living room more often than not hitting their younger guests en' route.

Taylor is so fierce that were David Hess to barge in for a bit of 'fun' himself he'd quickly get sliced to death by Taylor's barbed tongue or failing that he'd be slumped in a drunken stupor from all the drinks Burton poured him - I've never seen so many drinks prepared in a film before. Still at least after a while everyone is fairly sozzled.

The arguments and sizzling dialogue are acutely judged and skillfully directed by Mike Nichols, allowing the actors to really go for it in the spoken equivalents of action set pieces. Nichols knows when to raise the temperature and when to tone it down also.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? is both punishing, tragically honest and clever, the acid tongues laced with social and psychological pointers on issues which are still relevant today.

A first time watch, but it won't be the last. Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? is a brilliant film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mC4kv6O02wqkKa48WKQPrl6dsVV (Large).jpg (51.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 26th April 2023, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

You'll hate me for this D, but Woolf is my favourite kind of horror film.

I saw Kenny's take at the pictures at the time, and it was quite impressive (especially the end sequence). Just saying.

Scream VI

I'm 48 minutes in and the meta is making my teeth hurt. Back shortly!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th April 2023, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

A history professor and his wife entertain a young couple who are new to the university's faculty. As the drinks flow, secrets come to light, and the middle-aged couple unload onto their guests the full force of the bitterness, dysfunction, and animosity that defines their relationship.

What an incredible film this is. Two hours of talk fly by like the most breath taking of action movies. Both Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton are sensational, thankfully George Segal and Sandy Dennis are skilled enough not to get swamped in their punishing acting masterclass.

Taylor in particular, she won a Best Actress Oscar for her role, is ferocious, so much so that she stripped the paper from my walls with her verbal savagery as she and real life husband Burton, spit malicious bile at one another across their living room more often than not hitting their younger guests en' route.

Taylor is so fierce that were David Hess to barge in for a bit of 'fun' himself he'd quickly get sliced to death by Taylor's barbed tongue or failing that he'd be slumped in a drunken stupor from all the drinks Burton poured him - I've never seen so many drinks prepared in a film before. Still at least after a while everyone is fairly sozzled.

The arguments and sizzling dialogue are acutely judged and skillfully directed by Mike Nichols, allowing the actors to really go for it in the spoken equivalents of action set pieces. Nichols knows when to raise the temperature and when to tone it down also.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? is both punishing, tragically honest and clever, the acid tongues laced with social and psychological pointers on issues which are still relevant today.

A first time watch, but it won't be the last. Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? is a brilliant film.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th April 2023, 09:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
You'll hate me for this D, but Woolf is my favourite kind of horror film.

I saw Kenny's take at the pictures at the time, and it was quite impressive (especially the end sequence). Just saying.

You've lost me.

Kenny's take?

Kenny who? Kenny Dalglish, Kenny Everett?
Old 26th April 2023, 09:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The chap who directed Frankenstein?

Courtney Cox looks like a creepy doll. Most unsettling. (Scream VI).
nicholasrope and Graveyard like this.

[B]
Old 26th April 2023, 09:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
The chap who directed Frankenstein?

Courtney Cox looks like a creepy doll. Most unsettling. (Scream VI).
I thought you were still on about Woolf?
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 26th April 2023, 09:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought you were still on about Woolf?
Dear Cthulhu, I hope there isn't a remake of WAOVW. There isn't. PHEW.

[B]
Old 26th April 2023, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Dear Cthulhu, I hope there isn't a remake of WAOVW. There isn't. PHEW.
If there was i pity the poor soul that steps in Taylor's shoes.

I think it's going to be Who's Afraid of Elizabeth Taylor? tonight.

Aka Zee and Co.

Poor Michael Caine. I feel for you already. Seen it once before on dvd so i (mostly) (Well, maybe a little) remember what's coming.

Like this? Share it using the links below!