All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2023, 10:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It was like they saw The African Queen then decided half way through modern audiences wouldn't like it so thought they'd turn it into Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest instead.
Not the best combination of films to splice together
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 18th April 2023, 12:44 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

driller-killer-poster.jpg

Reno is an artist living in a New York studio / Apartment with his girlfriend and her girlfriend. The trio are constantly struggling to make ends behind on rent and utility bill they can barely afford to eat while Reno waits for the money for a Commissioned peice of art he is working on that will be his best work ever. Reno finds himself skating on thin ice mentally trying to balance his life socially romantically and financially eventually everyone has a breaking point but most people don't use power tools to vent their anger and frustration and I don't mean redecorating his apartment.

I have always found Driller Killer to be a frustrating watch especially the punk band that's constantly playing throughout the film it really grinds you down to the point of anger but this time around watching I sort of understood the reasoning behind the band and that's to make you feel like Reno the band sounds like a drill going into your skull over and over again it actually made me want to kill someone myself but seriously it almost makes you relate to him in a way if your neighbors were a shit punk band playing day and night power tool sales would rise too. When it comes to the kills they are nasty and very bloody there is no just fast kill they all linger making sure he is getting the drill bit right in there deep to do maximum damage he doesn't want to just injure people he wants death. Obviously the poster is iconic and surprise surprise that is the best and most nasty kill of the bunch really making you suffer as much as the poor bum just minding his own business making you go through the entire process.

Overall Driller Killer is a dirty nasty film that sticks with you long after you finish watching it and it not just the kills it's the whole atmosphere it leaves a stink on you that you feel you can't wash off New York looks filthy you can smell it and leaves you feeling like you have an extra layer of skin on a skin of shit. It's not a fun time at all but that's why I love it like I said it's a frustrating watch and taken at face value you may hate it thinking it's boring and annoying but when you really think about it the meaning changes well for me it did anyway this time around.

Driller Killer is just f**king DIRTY.
Old 18th April 2023, 01:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Just_Before_Dawn_poster.jpg

When locals warn you not to go into the woods there is usually good reason and if someone tells you there are demons in them woods then you should definitely pay attention but as usual city folk know everything about the wilderness cause they camped out in the back garden a couple of time. Two couples and their third wheel friend or in this case fifth wheel friend head up to the woods to camp out for a few days on one of the group's parents property. Not listening to warnings from the forest ranger they head up anyway and what an exhilarating adventure awaits them.

A surprising this that I always loved about Just Before Dawn is that none of the characters are annoying and I'm not actually rooting for any of them to die which is very uncommon for me watching any slasher honestly all five friends are actually likable not going out of their way to be smart macho or cause any type of real trouble they seem genuinely out for some fun and seem to actually enjoy camping and nature not just banging and drinking not saying there isn't any of that but they respect nature and the place itself. All the acting is solid and there isn't any comic relief character the whole thing is played very straight laced and I know I'm staying the obvious here but big George Kennedy is awesome as usual anyone who knows me knows how much I love him one of my all time favourite actors no matter the role how big how small I always love his performance.

When it comes to kills there isn't a big bodycount instead it builds tension and a very very eerrie atmosphere to hook you in. The film is shot beautifully with some great scenery and locations I especially love the rope bridge scenes because I know without a shadow of a doubt I'd struggle to get one step without falling in and that makes me feel more uncomfortable knowing that making it across the rope bridge could be a matter of life or death on this trip.

The soundtrack is amazing it's creepy dark sinister it gives me feelings of loss too but also it's beautiful and that's what a great soundtrack does it stirs up many emotions throughout.

I Love this
Old 18th April 2023, 03:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Troll. 2022.

Norway has always held the start of the mythical folklore of trolls coming from the mountains and being giant like ogre's that ain't so friendly and the film Troll Hunter that was released in 2010. This one is like troll Hunter, set in modern day time with miners wakening up something that was obviously enjoying it's sleep and not being in the best mood. We got a myth hunter relaying the story of trolls to his daughter and 20 years later actually meeting a troll up close. The plot does go a bit all over the place but manages to keep the pace steady with some entertaining moments and politicians making daft decisions. The effects of the troll is is decently done and probably borrowed from another film, the makers managed to keep it realistic and how you would picture a troll. Worth a glance on Netflix.

Troll_(2022).jpeg
Old 18th April 2023, 05:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Algol (aka Power, 1920, Hans Werckmeister)

Silent caper. Having never even heard of this one, I had to give it a go.
When a lowly miner is given the opportunity of a lifetime, sadly he learns that nothing comes for free. Driven by a piano only score, this one was interesting in parts. Our protagonist is aided by some kind of sprite/alien, which didn't really come into it tbh, but it's really the folk around him that get the worst of it.
Just as his dreams are about to be realised, tragedy strikes, making it all seem hollow.
This one ... hmmm. If it wasn't for the time it was made, I could have said it was prescient in places (very cough cough), but that would be over reaching somewhat. Tonight ... The Lodger!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th April 2023, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Deep House. 2021.

Engaged couple Ben and Tina are bloggers of urban exploring, in the south of France they are guided to a lake that has a building underneath it, armed with their cameras they go in search the building.

A somewhat found footage movie from when the divers go into the lake, but when the divers go into the lake and the house, claustrophobia and a different setting for a house of mystery sets in. Ok the name Ben is thrown out a lot so we know who the guy is. I ain't gonna rattle on but this film had me on the edge of my seat, from the makers of Inside and Livide knew how to create a tense atmosphere with those film, with this it is kicked up a notch.

MV5BOTA0YzY3MjktYzdiMi00M2Y3LWEyN2QtNDZlZGY2NWFlNGQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM4MzU4OTE@._V1_.jpg
Old 18th April 2023, 05:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 245818

When locals warn you not to go into the woods there is usually good reason and if someone tells you there are demons in them woods then you should definitely pay attention but as usual city folk know everything about the wilderness cause they camped out in the back garden a couple of time. Two couples and their third wheel friend or in this case fifth wheel friend head up to the woods to camp out for a few days on one of the group's parents property. Not listening to warnings from the forest ranger they head up anyway and what an exhilarating adventure awaits them.

A surprising this that I always loved about Just Before Dawn is that none of the characters are annoying and I'm not actually rooting for any of them to die which is very uncommon for me watching any slasher honestly all five friends are actually likable not going out of their way to be smart macho or cause any type of real trouble they seem genuinely out for some fun and seem to actually enjoy camping and nature not just banging and drinking not saying there isn't any of that but they respect nature and the place itself. All the acting is solid and there isn't any comic relief character the whole thing is played very straight laced and I know I'm staying the obvious here but big George Kennedy is awesome as usual anyone who knows me knows how much I love him one of my all time favourite actors no matter the role how big how small I always love his performance.

When it comes to kills there isn't a big bodycount instead it builds tension and a very very eerrie atmosphere to hook you in. The film is shot beautifully with some great scenery and locations I especially love the rope bridge scenes because I know without a shadow of a doubt I'd struggle to get one step without falling in and that makes me feel more uncomfortable knowing that making it across the rope bridge could be a matter of life or death on this trip.

The soundtrack is amazing it's creepy dark sinister it gives me feelings of loss too but also it's beautiful and that's what a great soundtrack does it stirs up many emotions throughout.

I Love this
It’s a great film, very well made, atmospheric like you said with some great shots and scenery etc, type of film if done right can be great without relying heavily on gore violence or controversy like original Tcm tbh.
Nordicdusk and nicholasrope like this.
Old 18th April 2023, 07:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Horror In The High Desert 2: Minerva (2023, Dutch Marich)

FF sequel
Taking the Savageland route this time, we follow initially the disappearance of the titular character. The first films protagonist is mentioned in passing, so it's that kind of sequel ahem.
To be fair, this was slightly betterer, yes, it builds on the information gathered from the first, which does help, but the choice of shots was just creepier this time.
The story arches out to include other cases of note, which was all well and good until it dawned on me they were setting up a third, with a swift tone change right at the end. Dagnabbit!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th April 2023, 07:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Texas Chainsaw Massacre. 2022.

Thank god for Netflix, one payment every month and get a great selection of documentaries and movies to watch at your behest, The Deep House was a nice surprise to watch so why did I watch this?

We got another sequel to the the original 1974 flick, we get the back story about Sally (just incase we have forgot that she was the sole survivor). A group of people heading to the small town to show off the town to buyers, and a house that houses Leatherface and his guardian. We got people making bad decisions, guy comes on a bus with a chainsaw (yeah i don't think it's halloween yet) taking their phones out, the first person gets sliced and only a few run. A hunter (maybe a slight nod to Dennis Hopper's character) face to face, they have a shot gun, he has a chainsaw...oh look we got 20 minutes left of the movie don't kill him yet. A young person making a bad move and you know how it will end. Aside from the blood and guts, this made TCM The Next Generation more watchable than it should have been. This is like you have now seen it, that's it type of movies.

MV5BMDU4Yzk1NmUtNDU4OC00YzVmLTgwOTUtYTY2NjNmMjY5YjVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg
Old 18th April 2023, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well that was a lot of fun , Renfield has been at his master's side for over a hundred years but when he starts going to a meetings for people in co dependant and abusive relationship and meets a police woman he begining to think it's time for a change and too get away from his master. This was very funny and a lot more gory than I thought it would be. Still not sure about the crime/mob sub plot and Cage could of done with reigning his performance in a little at times , the real star of this is Nicholas Hoult as Renfield who gives a very enjoyable performance which is the hart of the movie.

While nothing spectacular it's not as bad as people think. Johnny Lee Miller plays a antique dealer who finds out his boss is the actual Van Helsing and has been gaurding Dracula's body for nearly 200 years , when body is stolen the good count soon escapes from his imprisonment and seeks revenge . Lot of familiar faces we have Johnny Lee Miller , Christopher Plummer as Van Helsing and Gerald Butler as Dracula in one of his early roles , we also have small roles for 7 of 9 Jerry Ryan and Nathan Fillion . I did like the reval of who Dracula really is.

Now watching

Like this? Share it using the links below!