Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2023, 09:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

Well that was a lot of fun , Renfield has been at his master's side for over a hundred years but when he starts going to a meetings for people in co dependant and abusive relationship and meets a police woman he begining to think it's time for a change and too get away from his master. This was very funny and a lot more gory than I thought it would be. Still not sure about the crime/mob sub plot and Cage could of done with reigning his performance in a little at times , the real star of this is Nicholas Hoult as Renfield who gives a very enjoyable performance which is the hart of the movie.

While nothing spectacular it's not as bad as people think. Johnny Lee Miller plays a antique dealer who finds out his boss is the actual Van Helsing and has been gaurding Dracula's body for nearly 200 years , when body is stolen the good count soon escapes from his imprisonment and seeks revenge . Lot of familiar faces we have Johnny Lee Miller , Christopher Plummer as Van Helsing and Gerald Butler as Dracula in one of his early roles , we also have small roles for 7 of 9 Jerry Ryan and Nathan Fillion . I did like the reval of who Dracula really is.

Now watching

Dracula II is awful.

I do like the look of Cage in Renfield. The image in the video above has a definite look of Christopher Lee at his most savage.
trebor8273 and nicholasrope like this.
Old 18th April 2023, 09:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

M3gan

Another take on Child's Play, a life like Doll becomes violent when defending the Girl she was given to. What I liked about this was that M3gan is threatening in the most low key way and spontaneously bursts into song and dance. I watched the Unrated Version on Blu-Ray and there is more gore with a couple of the kill scenes being more graphic (Why this version wasn't released theatrically I do not know, it's still a 15 certificate)

The Street Fighter

Sonny Chiba is a Hit Man of sorts and is double crossed by potential employers and gets revenge. This is the Optimum DVD release and I didn't mind it, there was plenty of Fight scenes and will probably get the Arrow Collection once it hits a sale.

Winnie The Pooh: Blood & Honey

Christopher Robin leaves Winnie and Friends behind but they feel abandoned and start killing people who come to their Wood.

There were some gory scenes and I liked the idea that they were telling. However the Animals looked liked Men in masks (And not good masks as well) and it was distracting as well as the Animals had human traits as well. They were better of telling the story that it was Serial Killers wearing Winnie The Pooh Masks.

Banana Splits Movie did it better.

Pump Of The Volume

Christian Slater is a shy High School Student but is also a Pirate D.J. that gets the fandom of his fellow Students but also the wrath of the Authorities.

First time seeing it and the issues raised probably ring true today and I really enjoyed it. The Film has some good performances as well as a good Soundtrack. The graphics scream early 90's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m.jpg (10.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ts.jpg (10.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg wtpbah.jpg (9.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg putv.jpg (12.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 18th April 2023, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dracula II is awful.

I do like the look of Cage in Renfield. The image in the video above has a definite look of Christopher Lee at his most savage.
He does look good and gives a good performance but he could of toned it down a little but I really liked how they reconstructed some scenes from the classic 1931 film , the one scene with Renfield at the bottom of the stairs giving his insane laugh I still don't know if it was the original or reconstructed .

Universal have for years unsuccessful tried to start a monster universe , but they could have a good starting place here.

Yes Dracula 2 is absolutely awful , the first was nothing amazing but compared to this it's a masterpiece .
Old 18th April 2023, 09:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:

Well that was a lot of fun , Renfield has been at his master's side for over a hundred years but when he starts going to a meetings for people in co dependant and abusive relationship and meets a police woman he begining to think it's time for a change and too get away from his master. This was very funny and a lot more gory than I thought it would be. Still not sure about the crime/mob sub plot and Cage could of done with reigning his performance in a little at times , the real star of this is Nicholas Hoult as Renfield who gives a very enjoyable performance which is the hart of the movie.

While nothing spectacular it's not as bad as people think. Johnny Lee Miller plays a antique dealer who finds out his boss is the actual Van Helsing and has been gaurding Dracula's body for nearly 200 years , when body is stolen the good count soon escapes from his imprisonment and seeks revenge . Lot of familiar faces we have Johnny Lee Miller , Christopher Plummer as Van Helsing and Gerald Butler as Dracula in one of his early roles , we also have small roles for 7 of 9 Jerry Ryan and Nathan Fillion . I did like the reval of who Dracula really is.

Now watching

Renfield is my Film Of The Year so far, I respectfully disagree with you about Cage's performance as I felt that he needed to be OTT and I enjoyed the cowardly Mobster, who's Mother is quite fearsome.

I also like that the imposed Cage and Hoult's faces on an old Dracula Film.
Old 18th April 2023, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Renfield is my Film Of The Year so far, I respectfully disagree with you about Cage's performance as I felt that he needed to be OTT and I enjoyed the cowardly Mobster, who's Mother is quite fearsome.

I also like that the imposed Cage and Hoult's faces on an old Dracula Film.
I do hope it does well so they could to potential sequel and the dark universe but didn't do any favours releasing it at end of half term and around same time as mario . When I went to see it only had two showings a day in the smallest screens.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 18th April 2023, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I do hope it does well so they could to potential sequel and the dark universe but didn't do any favours releasing it at end of half term and around same time as mario . When I went to see it only had two showings a day in the smallest screens.
I'm hearing it's flopping which is a shame but I'm thinking it'll do well on Streaming and Home Media.

It's a shame because it's something different, short and there wasn't any lulls.

It's one of those Films that I could watch many times on Blu-ray
Old 18th April 2023, 10:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
I'm hearing it's flopping which is a shame but I'm thinking it'll do well on Streaming and Home Media.

It's a shame because it's something different, short and there wasn't any lulls.

It's one of those Films that I could watch many times on Blu-ray
Also liked how it's only 90 minutes and not another 3 hour movie with a hour of filler. Enjoyed it a lot more than any of the recent superhero movies .
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 19th April 2023, 07:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Steel And Lace. 1991.

This was probably something we have seen before but in a different way on the revenge genre. A woman is raped by a group of men who are acquitted and commits suicide. Her brother does a bit of re-building her body into a somewhat remote controlled cyborg and programmed her to kill. The kills are done differently, and they do experience a painful death, even though it's laughable. The gore effects are a bit naff except for Brian Becker's death that pays homage to a death of a zombie in Dawn Of The Dead (original version). The acting is not the best even David Naughton and Bruce Davison must have been desperate to be in this. Still questioning myself on a re-watch or not.

MV5BYjFmMjEwYzUtMzZhNC00NmI1LWI5MDMtOTIwNTFmNGU2NjNlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMzMjU5NDY@._V1_.jpg
Old 19th April 2023, 08:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Bitten (2008)

Jason Mewes plays a paramedic - Seriously? You are desperately in need of medical help and Jay turns up minus Silent Bob. You really ain't going to live much longer are you! - who in the early hours helps a young woman covered in blood down a back alley. Refusing actual medical assistance she ends up at Mewes apartment to rest and it turns out she's a vampire and the blood she was covered in wasn't hers.

Bitten is enjoyable enough. Last night was my third time of watching. Despite my reservations of Mewes the paramedic he's absolutely fine in the role although plays second fiddle to Erica Cox as the very sexy vampire.

As Cox needs to feed regularly that means human blood so a few unfortunates are taken to the apartment including a couple of back alley drug dealers who in other films would definitely have been played by Mewes himself and Kevin Smith too.

Bitten is a fun if not demanding watch and the humour and horror combine pretty well together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (93.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th April 2023, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ghost of St. Michael's. 1941.

A teacher takes on a job in a castle in Scotland with some unruly pupils only to be told the castle is haunted.

Will Hay plays the brunt of some jokes William Lamb as the teacher in a remote castle with some boys that have been evacuated to the area. Charles Hawtrey who was 26 plays one of the pupils who leads the boys into jokes then joins the teacher into a mystery. This is a fast-paced and engaging little comedy with plenty of laughs dotted throughout. The interactions between Hay and his pupils are a delight when trying to prove the theory of gravity that you know it will not go well. A good classic comedy.

MV5BNTljOGVjYjQtYzVjNS00ZWJmLThjZWYtYzdhMWFlYzljZDAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjIyNjE2NA@@._V1_QL75_UX190_.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!