Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2011, 05:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Watched Smash Cut. pretty decent flick with a nice sleazy feel and the wonderful David Hess

Scream and scream again I had sky+'d on MGM HD. Really enjoyed this too, I really want one of those vulcan death grips the guy keeps using
Old 28th January 2011, 07:36 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I saw Black Swan at the cinema last night and was extremely impressed. It seems thematically similar to a couple of other Darren Aaronofsky films, particularly Pi and Requiem for a Dream and, as has been said, seems to be influenced by the likes of Possession and Repulsion. Natalie Portman was immense in this but I'm not sure whether she will get the Oscar over Anette Bening. I think the film will stand up to repeated viewings and I'll probably buy it on Blu-ray when its out.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:16 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

I was two films at the cinema yesterday: Black Swan and The Kings Speech (I wanted to see The Ward, but my GF is not a horror fan).
Both were excellent and are worth seeing on the big screen if you can get the chance.
Old 28th January 2011, 09:19 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've heard good things about The Ward but it looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD/BD as it doesn't look like Cineworld are going to touch it and I doubt it's the sort of film that my local arthouse cinema will show either as they don't really 'do' horror.
Old 28th January 2011, 10:56 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I saw Black Swan the other night and it completely blew me away. Fantastic film, so dark and disturbing. You can sum it up in one word..... Haunting. Oh and what a great use of surround sound, the best I've ever seen a film utilise it to be honest.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 28th January 2011, 11:28 AM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Agreed on the surround sound front Ant. There was one part where someone shouted from the back and I thought it was one of the audience, not part of the film.
Old 28th January 2011, 01:41 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Just watched Die Hard With a Vengeance. Hadn;t seen it in years and really enjoyed it. Odd (sort of) Pulp Fiction reference in it too which had always passed me by.
Old 28th January 2011, 07:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler [1922]
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse [1933]
Old 28th January 2011, 08:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Tonight, Shaolin Soccer on Blu-ray and Flame and Citron, which I recorded from Sky Movies months ago and had only just had the information to give it a viewing. Both films are excellent in different ways -- there is no way of comparing Stephen Chow's madness to a true story of resistance in Second World War Denmark.
Old 29th January 2011, 06:18 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
Agreed on the surround sound front Ant. There was one part where someone shouted from the back and I thought it was one of the audience, not part of the film.
Yeah the whole cinema audience turned around when that voice came and everyone started giggling when we realised it was part of the film.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html

Like this? Share it using the links below!