LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concertina View Post
It was. The creatures weren't as good. There was more gore but just fir tge sake of shock value...it really wasn't necessary. The story was just stupid.
It also only followed the US ending which wasn't as affecting as the British release and left no room for a sequel.
Old 3rd January 2011, 03:58 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It also only followed the US ending which wasn't as affecting as the British release and left no room for a sequel.

Is THAT why there were continuity issues?? I couldn't understand why there were things wrong in the second film...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd January 2011, 08:10 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concertina View Post
Is THAT why there were continuity issues?? I couldn't understand why there were things wrong in the second film...

Spoiler alert!

The British version ands with Sarah escaping from the cave system, running to her car and sitting there, breathing heavily until a ghostly Juno appears next to her and a wagon goes past, making that it to a hallucination. She is really in the cave where the camera reveals that she is sitting there, imagining that she is facing her daughter across a birthday cake that is all part of a greater hallucination.

The American version has none of that and finishes when Sarah escaped from the cave and gets to her car.

Given how Juno was left, with a very badly damaged leg and surrounded by crawlers, there is no way that she would be alive several weeks later.

All in all, I found the second instalment to be deeply unsatisfactory and not a patch on the first which was a modern day horror masterpiece. If you're interested, my reviews other two films are below:
The Descent -- The Descent: Part 2
Old 3rd January 2011, 08:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Another mixed bag this week.

Toy Story 3.
Meet The Fockers.
Street Trash.
Fantastic Mr Fox.
Little Fockers.
Down, Out And Dangerous.

Clive Barker's The Plague.
Iron Man 2.
36 Chambers Of Shaolin - The Final Confrontation. (AKA Shaolin Drunken Monk)
Adrift.
Heartless.
Silent Night, Bloody Night.
5 Deadly Venoms.
Alvin And The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.
All About Steve.
Wheels On Meals.
The Next Karate Kid.
Halloween H20.
Beach Of The War Gods.
Swordsman II.
Cujo.
Shaun Of The Dead.
Galaxy Of Terror.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:08 AM
Cult Rookie

[QUOTE=Nosferatu@Cult Labs;119524]Spoiler alert!

The British version ands with Sarah escaping from the cave system, running to her car and sitting there, breathing heavily until a ghostly Juno appears next to her and a wagon goes past, making that it to a hallucination. She is really in the cave where the camera reveals that she is sitting there, imagining that she is facing her daughter across a birthday cake that is all part of a greater hallucination.

The American version has none of that and finishes when Sarah escaped from the cave and gets to her car.

Given how Juno was left, with a very badly damaged leg and surrounded by crawlers, there is no way that she would be alive several weeks later.

/QUOTE]

Alright, I did see the British version then.

The second film only took place a day or two later. Juno still had the injuries to her legs yet she was able to Kung-Fu her way out of the caves. And then there was the actual escape...I had assumed that she didn't.

Old 3rd January 2011, 10:34 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm not quite sure how the rescue effort began so quickly as no one would have known which cave system they were in and Sarah were certainly in no position to give him a guided tour!
Old 3rd January 2011, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I don't think it was as good as anybody expected and yet it has been nominated for three Golden globes: Best Picture, Best Actor (Jonny Depp) and Best Score (Danny Elfman). Unbelievable. My two cents are here if you are interested.
Nice review I agree that this film lacked emotion and it was this that was a let down for me.
Old 4th January 2011, 08:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Watched these in the last few days...

FALLING DOWN - Blu
One of my favourite underrated films, Michael Douglas as D-FENZ is just a crazy performance and really makes the film that much better, also a very odd choice of film for Batman destroyer Joel Schummacher. The new HD remaster on blu is phenomenal and the sound is spot on too.

DEATH SENTENCE
From The makers of SAW comes one of the most brutal revenge drama's to hit a mainstream cinema since Get Carter. Kevin Bacon's Stand out Performance is just amazing...

KILL BILL VOLS. 1+2
the first part of QT's epic Revenge/actioner/massive homage is amazing, the second, although being a tad overlong is still a triumph in the world of story telling, enjoyed both of these immensely....again!

UNDISPUTED 2: LAST MAN STANDING
this was pretty spectacular American Martial Arts film with Michael Jai White and the amazingly talented Scott Adkins. Brilliant Fight Choreography and some great direction from Issac Florentine. Great entertaining Fun.

THE BEAST WITHIN: THE MAKING OF 'ALIEN':
This very informative making of documentary that clocks in at 178 minutes is a brilliant combination of interviews and behind the scene's footage and stories of the battle it took to bring Alien to the screen. Very Cool.

ALIEN (THEATRICAL CUT) BLU RAY:
The original film that introduced us to the 'xenomorph' and gave us Siqourney Weaver's Riply. Fantastic visuals from all involved included the breathtaking shot of the 'Space Jocky', all look brilliant in High Def as this is probably the best HD remaster i have seen so far and 5.1HD DTS sound is fantastic...
Old 4th January 2011, 09:40 PM
Cultist

The Sinful Dwarf (uncut Danish theatrical print from the R2 AWE disc) - more than sleazy enough in the scenes where it is sleazy, otherwise the film rolls to a standstill. The dwarf, Torben Bille, is a total hoot though and deliciously sinister. Definitely not the sort of film that would be seen in a favourable light by dwarf-equality charities. Can be had on DVD for well under a tenner from Finland P&P included.

Intimate Relations - Rather predictable black-comedy/drama starring Julie Walters set in Fifties England about a sexually repressed middle-aged housewife who takes a young lodger in and seduces him. Her daughter, in her early teens, then decides she wants some of the action. Things escalate from there and obviously don't end well. Performances are quite good all-round but the DVD I watched it on is terrible. Avoid the R2 Starz DVD at all costs.
Old 4th January 2011, 10:21 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

Quote:
I'm not quite sure how the rescue effort began so quickly as no one would have known which cave system they were in and Sarah were certainly in no position to give him a guided tour!
It's just typical of the US filmmakers to capitalise on the excellent THE DESCENT and because the original and best ending was 'too dark' and 'downbeat' for American audiences, they decided to alter the ending to make way for the sequel, which after reading bad reviews I haven't seen and don't intend to.
Do the US horror fans always like a happy ending.......I think not, but a moderator on another site likes the US ending...shame!

Like this? Share it using the links below!