Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2011, 09:18 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Watched Return to Horror High. Even low expectations couldn't save this. Not terribly funny, lacking in gore, it would have been ok in its ineptitude if it wasn't so damn boring. I want my £1 back.
Old 12th October 2011, 09:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

watched Opera in a drunken state after the Scotland game (wheesht!). still say the central performance (cristina millisarch?) lets it down, but felt dizzy after 40 minutes and went to bed, will rewatch tonight.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:20 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

"Dream No Evil":John Hayes of "Grave of the Vampire" fame directs this meditation on madness, loneliness and abandonment. Hugely flawed by a voice over that tells you the plot and explains the films more beautiful moments this is never the less well worth tracking down. Dreamy and sad, this is a little gem waiting to be rediscovered. It has the same kind of feel as "Messiah of Evil", "The Child" and "Axe". Excellent stuff.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th October 2011, 05:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I'm currently watching The Velvet Vampire (which looks fantastic,probably restored from a negative or ip?)...
I really like The Velvet Vampire. I first saw it donkeys years ago on an old ( cut? ) fuzzy VHS under the title The Waking Hour, so this new Shout! Factory print ( watched it last night ) is a revelation. Great music in this one, too.
Old 12th October 2011, 11:00 PM
Cult Addict

"The Mermaids of Tiburon". If you ever thought Jacque Cousteau should have spiced things up with a little nudity then this is the film for you. Basically it's hours or so it seems of semi naked women swimming underwater in seaweed knickers and not a lot else. Strangely hypnotic and pleasing to the eye. There is also a non nude version that's not as good but at least in that one the budget stretched to more than one mermaid with a tail rather than flippers!

"Yambao-Cry of the Bewitched". It's not often you get to see a Mexican made, Cuban set, African musical/dance spectacular about voodoo set on a plantation. In your face from start to finish, this is one sweaty slice of exotica from the 1950s that drips with lust and passion, dance and song in equal measures.
Old 13th October 2011, 12:19 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just finished BRIDE OF CHUCKY, haven't seen it in a while and loved it, one of the most darkly funny horror films ive seen in a long time.
Old 13th October 2011, 09:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just finished watching Hell of the Living Dead AKA Zombie Creeping Flesh. I can't believe how much this film robbed from others, Goblin score and scene stealing from Dawn of the Dead, elements of Zombie Holocaust etc. The dialogue and dubbing is shocking, the characters are annoying, the acting is crap, the effects look bad. Did this stop me from enjoying it, Hell no! I loved it in a so bad it's good kinda way!
PaulRobinson and platostotal like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th October 2011, 10:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

watched....
Opera sober this time, still just doesnt hit the mark, great set pieces etc, but just something lacking....

Night After Night After Night just CANT get enough of this sleazefest, why cant i get The Big Zapper...???

Deodato double bill
Cut & Run....boy id like (?) to see the cut one, mustve had nowt left...an odd mixture of genres, Berryman just seems to be in another film.....
HOTEOTP...a horrible film, tried to suss where the cuts will be in the new one...hmmm. Hess truly unstable, its hard to believe it was a performance....

Last edited by Demoncrat; 13th October 2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: doh
Old 13th October 2011, 11:01 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

RE House on the Edge of the Park: it's my understanding the only cut is the knife scene with Cindy, which fell foul of the BBFC's sexualised violence policy. I think it will still be an immensely powerful and disturbing watch even without that scene.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
watched....
Opera sober this time, still just doesnt hit the mark, great set pieces etc, but just something lacking....

HOTEOTP...a horrible film, tried to suss where the cuts will be in the new one...hmmm. Hess truly unstable, its hard to believe it as a performance....
I'm the same with Opera, I like it but it's not great IMO.
As for HOTEOTP, I always feel dirty after watching this, hasn't stopped me pre-ordering the Shameless dvd, even though I own the EC Remastered uncut one
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!