Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th October 2011, 12:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just finished watching Suspiria, doesn't need an explanation, still a masterpiece. Followed it with the "Dario Argento's World of Horror" documentary. I was hoping my BD of The Exorcist would've been delivered today but it seems the postman has had a lie in this morning

Edit:It just arrived but I've got to got pick my kids up so I haven't got time to check it out now
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Last edited by Rik; 13th October 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 13th October 2011, 12:54 PM
Cultist

Default asf

I watched A Serbian Film with my mate the other day. Uncut. It was not a fun experience.....

Had to try and wipe our minds with Cannibal holocaust!

Still trying to forget it!
Rik likes this.
Old 13th October 2011, 01:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Watched Return to Horror High. Even low expectations couldn't save this. Not terribly funny, lacking in gore, it would have been ok in its ineptitude if it wasn't so damn boring. I want my £1 back.
Agreed! Watched this for the first time a few weeks ago, its not even "so bad its good", the boredom factor really does kick in quite early as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
"The Mermaids of Tiburon". If you ever thought Jacque Cousteau should have spiced things up with a little nudity then this is the film for you. Basically it's hours or so it seems of semi naked women swimming underwater in seaweed knickers and not a lot else. Strangely hypnotic and pleasing to the eye. There is also a non nude version that's not as good but at least in that one the budget stretched to more than one mermaid with a tail rather than flippers!
That sounds good, is it available on disc, with a decent pic quality?

I know i could look it up online, but thats what forums are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
just finished BRIDE OF CHUCKY, haven't seen it in a while and loved it, one of the most darkly funny horror films ive seen in a long time.
I'm a big fan of this film, lots of fun, good effects and laugh out loud funny in places. The follow up isn't so clever though.
Old 13th October 2011, 01:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The postman came and then, about two minutes later, a Royal Mail van pulled up and, between them, they brought:

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory: 40th Anniversary Blu-ray + DVD: Ultimate Collector's Edition

Friday the 13th: The Ultimate Collection: Limited Edition

The Phantom Carriage: Criterion Collection BD

Kiss Me Deadly: Criterion Collection BD

Carnival of Souls: Criterion Collection DVD

The 10th Victim: Blue Underground BD

Edit: Wrong thread - thought this was the What have you purchased recently thread!
Rik likes this.
Old 13th October 2011, 06:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Watched the 'extended cut' of Lady Frankenstein on the Shout! Factory label. The branching was a little jarring at times ( there was sometimes a slight 'freeze frame' just before the inserted scenes ) but it was great to see the entire film for once. And while we're not exactly talking HD quality here ( ! ) this is certainly the best I've ever seen it. And what film can go wrong with Rosalba Neri in it?
Old 13th October 2011, 06:40 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Sawdust and Tinsel - Excellent drama by Ingmar Bergman about a travelling circus and the stresses it places on everyone involved.

A Man Escaped - A prison drama/thriller set in occupied France during World War II in which a member of the French resistance who has been sentenced to death and is determined to escape, making meticulous plans. Directed with consummate skill by Robert Bresson, this (along with Sawdust and Tinsel) was one of Empire's 500 greatest movies, something I've been working my way through from while and have now reached the stage where I need to import in order to watch them all.

Thor - I have no idea how faithful this was to the comic books, but I expected something slightly more intelligent from Kenneth Branagh as this was fairly loud and stupid.

Murder Rock - This was on my list of unwatched discs, but it only took about five minutes to realise I watched it not so long ago as I remembered the killer's identity, motivation and the ending. It's a very good giallo by Lucio Fulci, but not as good as Don't Torture a Duckling.
Just realized that we both watched Sawdust and Tinsel about the same day. I was in the mood for some Bergman and had not seen it in awhile. Plus I had been watching the Criterion Blu of the Magician repeatedly lately and needed something different.
Watched Santa Sangre last night with the wife. Had not seen it in years, it was better then I had remembered, anyone know of a Blu ray release?
Old 13th October 2011, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm gonna try and see if the wife wants to watch my new BD of the Exorcist, I can't see it happening as she's a Catholic for one and I made her sit through it a few weeks back when it was on one of the Sky channels, fingers crossed
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th October 2011, 07:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Which version will you be watching?
Old 13th October 2011, 07:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

That sounds good, is it available on disc, with a decent pic quality?

I know i could look it up online, but thats what forums are for.
Do you like it fishy then Dem? I got it from Amazon "Psychotronica Vol 3: The Mermaids of Tiburon/Yambao-Cry of the Bewitched". Picture quality is okay for something this obscure.
Old 13th October 2011, 07:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Which version will you be watching?
It would've been the theatrical cut, but she doesn't want to watch it, no great surprise. I did like the newer edit, because it was more faithful to the novel(apart from the pointless subliminal imagery) but the original version is the one I saw first at the cinema and deserves to be the first one I watch in HD.

Like this? Share it using the links below!