Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179849Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2012, 04:16 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just finishing watching Avatar for the first time and I couldn't wait the extra 5 minutes for it to finish without saying this. All that money spent on extremely impressive CGI and they can't even make the tattoos on Sam Worthingtons arms look like they aren't painted on like henna tattoos found on 8 year old kids in Benidorm! Good film though, not sure it lived up to all the hype mind.
Now time to switch channels for T3: Rise of the machines, yeah I like it...so what?
I think AVATAR was overlong and boring
very overrated despite the sfx
Old 26th March 2012, 05:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
That's a shame.Along with The Incredible Shrinking Man,I Married A Monster From Outer Space & This Island Earth it's one of my favourite sci-fi films of the 50s.
It was from a set of 7 sci fi films, the others being The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Thing, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, Tarantula, It Came From Outer Space and Creature From the Black Lagoon.

Creature was the only one i had seen before (now own three copies ), and This Island Earth was the reason i bought the set. I saved it to watch last and thought it the worst of the lot.
Old 26th March 2012, 05:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
It was from a set of 7 sci fi films, the others being The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Thing, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, Tarantula, It Came From Outer Space and Creature From the Black Lagoon.

Creature was the only one i had seen before (now own three copies ), and This Island Earth was the reason i bought the set. I saved it to watch last and thought it the worst of the lot.
it's not a bad film at all, but compared to the others in that set it is the weakest. I love 50s/60s sci-fi but my faves are Bodysnatchers, Them! and The Thing From Another World.
Old 26th March 2012, 05:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
it's not a bad film at all, but compared to the others in that set it is the weakest. I love 50s/60s sci-fi but my faves are Bodysnatchers, Them! and The Thing From Another World.
The most disappointing thing for me was given the great creature and the fact that its image is an icon of sci-fi, it just wasn't utilised to anything near its potential.

The blurb on the back says it took two and a half years to make so i was hoping for a Mars Attacks! type film, albeit from the fifties.
Old 26th March 2012, 06:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I love that box-set.

Tarantula! is a go-to film when I need cheering up.
Old 27th March 2012, 07:23 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

It's a very nice box.

The Thing From Another World, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers - excellent masterpieces.

Tarantula, Creature From The Black Lagoon, It Came From Outer Space - very good.

The Incredible Shrinking Man - meh.

This Island Earth - never heard of it / never seen it. And after Dem's statements, I doubt I'll ever watch it.

Greetings!
mark meakin likes this.
Old 27th March 2012, 10:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
This Island Earth - never heard of it / never seen it. And after Dem's statements, I doubt I'll ever watch it.

Greetings!
I have the set.Give This Island Earth a go.It's got more plot than many sci-fi films of the time.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 27th March 2012, 11:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
I have the set.Give This Island Earth a go.It's got more plot than many sci-fi films of the time.
Indeed. Ok, so it's not that gripping by today's standards, but il take TIE over Avaturd anyday.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th March 2012, 12:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The MST3K episode of This Island Earth is outstanding and definitely one of their best. Some of the criticism is unfounded but, as with every movie they feature, you can't help but laugh because of the delivery and wit.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

AAnyway.
Destination Inner Space (Francis D Lyon, 1966) Lawdy! Just when i thought this was going to be a sombre exploration of male insecurity, along comes the tubbiest terror from the depths that i've ever seen!! Ahem. Featuring some of the best model work i've seen since Moonbase , this is easily recommended to all those of a fishy bent

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!