Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179902Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2012, 10:19 AM
Cult Addict

Watched REPTILE and PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES.

The transfers blew me away! I've seen both films numerous times in the past and have NEVER seen them look this good. I know some people seemed to have been dissapointed by DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS. I own the re-released corrected version and along with quatermass and the pit not one of these restorations has dissapointed me.

With DPOD I suspect some people were expecting a miracle no restoration team could deliver and I would urge people to watch the restoration comparisons and documentary to understand what a difficult task it was to bring these classics to HD.
Old 7th July 2012, 11:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Even though it's a shame that AD was cancelled, I'm glad it went out on a high. They've been discussing doing a feature film for the past few years now, although whether it will happen or not remains to be seen.

A Steve Holt t-shirt?! That's great, and if it's not an excuse for an Arrested Development marathon, I don't know what is!
For me the funniest American shows are usually cancelled fairly early on. I really hope they do at least make a movie, I don't think it would ruin it. But it's one of two shows I need more episodes of, along with Jonathan Creek.

Quote:
Sci-Fi masterpiece?! You must have been watching a different film to me! The most blatant use of product placements in a film ever. Ronald McDonald indeed owes a lot to this film.
It does fall into the so bad it's good category. It's a wtf? film. I still can't believe the aliens are supposed to be adorable.

I do honestly prefer it to E.T. which to me is 1hour and 50 minutes of boredom and then 5 minutes of crying. I usually prefer it the other way round.
Old 7th July 2012, 11:31 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
For me the funniest American shows are usually cancelled fairly early on.
Freaks And Geeks!

Oh sweet Busy Philipps...my guilty blonde crush!

Also: The Hard Times Of RJ Berger - hilarious, well written, cancelled...
Old 7th July 2012, 11:40 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I like 'Inseminoid', but have you ever seen 'Prey' by the same guy? It's such a weird film. Like a 70s 'Play For Today' messed up by a lame surrealist... I don't know. It just kind of floats in its own specimen jar.
PREY like a 70's Play For Today??
Old 7th July 2012, 11:41 AM
Ex-member

saw the COMMUNITY episode in FEAR ITSELF last night - very good
Old 7th July 2012, 01:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Freaks And Geeks!

Oh sweet Busy Philipps...my guilty blonde crush!

Also: The Hard Times Of RJ Berger - hilarious, well written, cancelled...
Freaks and Geeks is one of my all time favourite shows, I think I've nearly worn out the box set. It was one of the reasons I originally bought a dvd player, a multi-region one at that, as I wasn't that bothered about moving from video otherwise. Have you read Paul Feig's books "Kick Me" and "Superstud"? They are hilarious. I've pretty much loved most of what the majority of the cast and crew have gone on to do.
Old 7th July 2012, 01:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
PREY like a 70's Play For Today??
Well, I have to say that I was into my second bottle of wine when I wrote that. But I meant atmospherically, there's something about the dourness of a lot of English stuff around that time that seems summed up by some of the really depressing Play For Today episodes... I'm thinking of eg. 'Brimstone And Treacle', which wasn't typical, but featured a really oppressive atmosphere and a twisted, mind-gamey take on relationships, and that's something I think it shares with 'Prey', which does to me feel like it's being transmitted from some X-rated late 70s UK TV station rather than, say, an American grindhouse. Admittedly Yozzer turning up as the beleagured alien character would've sealed the deal for me on the 'Prey For Today' front.
Old 7th July 2012, 01:25 PM
Active Cultist

Re-watched Straw Dogs, always been my fave Peckinpah movie. Whenever I hear bagpipes I think of it.

The Girl Next Door. This felt like a TV movie but with extreme scenes of child abuse (a blow torch to a girls privates being the worst this movie had to offer). The actions of some the characters defied belief, despite apparently being based on a true story.

The Dark Hour. Spanish low budget post-nucleur sci-fi horror set in a bunker. Pretty good, despite some Playstation 2 looking cgi-monsters. It's well worth it for the twist at the end, which was brilliant.

Django. Been years since I saw this. Brilliant. Also ejoyed the introduction by Alex Cox.
Old 7th July 2012, 03:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by re.form View Post
Re-watched Straw Dogs, always been my fave Peckinpah movie. Whenever I hear bagpipes I think of it.

The Girl Next Door. This felt like a TV movie but with extreme scenes of child abuse (a blow torch to a girls privates being the worst this movie had to offer). The actions of some the characters defied belief, despite apparently being based on a true story.

The Dark Hour. Spanish low budget post-nucleur sci-fi horror set in a bunker. Pretty good, despite some Playstation 2 looking cgi-monsters. It's well worth it for the twist at the end, which was brilliant.

Django. Been years since I saw this. Brilliant. Also ejoyed the introduction by Alex Cox.
Saw remake of stra dogs i tend to avoid remakes but we all watch the odd few here and there and it was pretty rubbish worth one watch and thats about it just to see it and compare to original , it was prettty pants,
Old 7th July 2012, 03:40 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Exactly! I can't even think about Arrested Development without wanting to watch it. Maybe I'll wait until my STEVE HOLT! t-shirt comes
I love you.

Quote:
Even though it's a shame that AD was cancelled, I'm glad it went out on a high. They've been discussing doing a feature film for the past few years now, although whether it will happen or not remains to be seen.

A Steve Holt t-shirt?! That's great, and if it's not an excuse for an Arrested Development marathon, I don't know what is!

I also love you.

Apparently the film is definitely happening and it's also going to have a lead-in series of 9-10 episodes too which I think are meant to be going out on Netflix.

Like this? Share it using the links below!